SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-13, 01:02 PM   #31
Spank86

Default Re: ROSPA vs IAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
IAM seemed obsessed with not braking for corners, if I'm doing a million miles an hour approaching a bend and I don't think I'll make it, I'll brake beforehand, do i care what people behind might be thinking? Do I Bolox.
The IAM would argue that whilst thats the right thing to do at that point you are compensating for having messed things up earlier and if you'd got that bit right you wouldnt be braking now.

Theyre not saying go round the corner faster and die, they're saying plan ahead next time so you dont need to throw the anchors out.
Old 22-01-13, 02:25 PM   #32
acting_strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
and what did you expect the result of the complaint to be? A bezz round cadwell on a bsb bike and a soapy session with some grid girls?
yes please:d
Old 22-01-13, 02:31 PM   #33
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

To be fair I think that would increase IAM membership no end.

But seriously, what was the purpose of the complaint? Did you want your membership money back or what?
Old 22-01-13, 02:41 PM   #34
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Trail Braking is a Valied style and theres lots on it and how you can corner better /faster using it
I don't really do it for that tbh but see your point, it's mainly sometimes when going downhill on tighter bends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
The IAM would argue that whilst thats the right thing to do at that point you are compensating for having messed things up earlier and if you'd got that bit right you wouldnt be braking now.

Theyre not saying go round the corner faster and die, they're saying plan ahead next time so you dont need to throw the anchors out.
I understand your point mate but if you had rode a sprint, the rear brake is mainly for show, it doesn't do a lot at all, but I don't slam it on or throw the anchors on, it's purely as above, don't probably need to at all but it makes me feel better so who cares.

In fairness I don't do it on other bikes so it just maybe because the sprint is a bit lardy.
I'm hardly a rider with skillz so if a little rear brake helps me sometimes, who are iam to tell me different ?

Btw I'm not against them, the IAM riders I've ride behind have been very smooth riders, I hope to be that decent one day.
Old 22-01-13, 02:56 PM   #35
NTECUK
Mega Poster

There's IAM riders that have ended up in the front of combines.
There not gods .
You want a badge then ok go for the test.
You want to improve your riding then fine take the bits from the sessions that you like .
But don't live and die by someone else's values.
Old 22-01-13, 03:34 PM   #36
Spank86

Quote:
I understand your point mate but if you had rode a sprint, the rear brake is mainly for show, it doesn't do a lot at all, but I don't slam it on or throw the anchors on, it's purely as above, don't probably need to at all but it makes me feel better so who cares.
The IAM apparently. Not sure why they care, I guess because they try to

teach you the way toride all bikes safely not the way to ride your bike fastest.

The smoothness seems to be quite a common theme and I think thats what they are going for. Thing is if you're going on an IAM observed ride hoping that they'll decide you've muddled and bodged your way into a perfect riding style that dovetails exactly with the way they do it despite never having had any tuition (or only having had some a long way in the past) I think you've got a 99% chance of being upset when it doesn't happen. Almost everyone's got bad habits and most of them arent that big a deal but it's not the IM(mediocre)M.

Quote:
I'm hardly a rider with skillz so if a little rear brake helps me sometimes, who are iam to tell me different ?
If you've met them in a biker cafe by coincidence, nobody much. If you've gone on an observed ride with them... well I think you'd have given them the right to at least mention it.

Worth me noting here I'm not claiming to be a saint, I do all of the things that have been mentioned here as bad and more, But I acknowledge I shouldnt be and will probably eradicate a fair few of them eventually.

Last edited by Spank86; 22-01-13 at 03:37 PM.
Old 22-01-13, 10:22 PM   #37
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

There's no doubt that smooth is the key, whether you want speedy or safely, attacking the controls with a blunt instrument isn't the way to get either.

IAM/ROSPA/whatever; none are perfect, all give good advice, no problem with any.

Know this; all are far too prescriptive, take from all learning what works for you and bear in mind that there's no such thing as 'right'.

There's shortage of wrong though.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-13, 08:52 AM   #38
SUPERSTARDJ01

I'm IAM qualified and recently had a ROSPA assessment with no ROSPA training and got a gold pass so as said before they all sing off the hymn sheet, so if you have an issue with IAM you'll probably have an issue with ROSPA, I get told from IAM pretty much what Sid said take what works for you and incorporate it in to your everyday riding, I'm a better, safer, faster rider because of the training I received from IAM.
Old 23-01-13, 09:42 AM   #39
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

The 'problem' with systems is that they can always be improved. The 'problem' with people who teach systems, is that they rarely believe they can.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-13, 10:01 AM   #40
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
The 'problem' with systems is that they can always be improved. The 'problem' with people who teach systems, is that they rarely believe they can.
Nice way to put it.

Same in many fields too. The problem is as well that crops up any time something is taught by an agency is even if you and the instructor both know something is a crock of sh*t they might still have to toe the party line and teach it.