SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-08, 07:42 PM   #31
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Suzuki GSXR750 K6-7 vs Suzuki Daytona 675

At the Ring and Spa Power is needed for the uphill straigh(ish) bits...

Hence 675/750 as a minimum.

Perhaps I should add that I plan to keep the bike for 3-4 years, that's why the 750 appeals, spend a year or two on it , then treat it to some decent suspension for some sub 8 ring laps (in my dreams).
Old 22-08-08, 07:47 PM   #32
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Stock tyres are Supercorsas. Whilst there's nothing wrong with them, I can't say that they suit my riding style, and I will replace them with something else - jury out on what.
PR2's. Youll get all the grip you need and a lot of milage (mile has done 6K and its still good) out of them too. I love mine... oh and dont take notice of the "sports touring" label they have, the manufacturer recomends them for anyone except the trackers where the sportier tyre will make the odds.

I regularly use the edge of mine and its never thrown a paddy.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Jesus View Post
No one has mentioned the GSXR has a slipper clutch
Good arnt they... I cant say as I miss the back end getting out of shape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAbnormal View Post
Ah yes, let me expand on that comment. They were laptimes of Infineon Raceway. I think it was MotoUSA that did the testing and they rated the RR as the best 600 but they said that it has similar power delivery of a gixxer 750. It was online somewhere will see if I can find the link. Of course top end would be better though, but who wants to go 186mph on the road? Not me. Maybe 175 though.
175... Thats what a 750 might do. You'll need a 1000 to hit 186. Your average 600 tops out at 160-165MPH... This is ofcourse still enough to lose your licence.

Just out of interest what are the problems you hear about with the RSV's?

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 22-08-08 at 07:52 PM.
Old 22-08-08, 07:59 PM   #33
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
175... Thats what a 750 might do. You'll need a 1000 to hit 186. Your average 600 tops out at 160-165MPH... This is ofcourse still enough to lose your licence.

Just out of interest what are the problems you hear about with the RSV's?
160-165 isn't enough at Spa or the Ring

As for RSVs heard about one (from owner) that blew its expansion bottle, causing him to miss a TD, followed by numerous other small faults, so he sold it. Also heard from a tour operator that it was mainly the Ducati, Aprillia, & Triumphs (mainly earlier ones) that caused grief on the trips he ran when compared to the jap bikes. Unfortunately these are a lot of the "soulful" bikes that I lust after. Never heard of someone selling a recent GSXR because of a myriad of faults.

I want a bike to ride, go fast on round tracks etc. A second bike with character would be great, but when you shell out £1k plus for a week of TDs and accomodation the last thing you want is your bike to let you down. I'm sure many RSVs have been fine, but I'd prefer to go quickly with no hassle The GSXR strikes me as a great tool for this, but then there's always the 675......
Old 22-08-08, 08:06 PM   #34
graham04

I have a k6 750 at the moment, its an awsome bike, its speed and handling are difficult to beat. You will not go wrong with this one. A mate of mine bought a Triumph mainly for track days. It ran and handled beautifully. The only downside was its oil consumption. It never smoked or leaked, just used it. Something to look out for on those long laps at the ring.
Graham

PS tossed an SV1000s at speed into one of the few sand bunkers around the ring. I did manage to fire the bike back up and totter the remains back to the start saving myself a very large recovery bill.
Take care the place can bite.
graham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-08, 08:09 PM   #35
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham04 View Post

PS tossed an SV1000s at speed into one of the few sand bunkers around the ring. I did manage to fire the bike back up and totter the remains back to the start saving myself a very large recovery bill.
Take care the place can bite.
I've done 93 laps so far there and am well aware of the risks, but thanks for the reminder, it never pays to be complacent there.
Old 22-08-08, 08:14 PM   #36
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
I've done 93 laps
Do you put another notch in the bedpost each time or something?

How do you remember?
Old 22-08-08, 08:17 PM   #37
Tim in Belgium

'Cos I is sad.

35 laps up to this year, 30 laps in a weekend at the end of June, 28 laps last weekend. Also there's a lap counting thread on Northloop for saddoes like myself. I can't do anymore laps this year because it would have been cheaper for me to buy a year's pass, and I can't face that fact!
Old 22-08-08, 08:17 PM   #38
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
160-165 isn't enough at Spa or the Ring

As for RSVs heard about one (from owner) that blew its expansion bottle, causing him to miss a TD, followed by numerous other small faults, so he sold it. Also heard from a tour operator that it was mainly the Ducati, Aprillia, & Triumphs (mainly earlier ones) that caused grief on the trips he ran when compared to the jap bikes. Unfortunately these are a lot of the "soulful" bikes that I lust after. Never heard of someone selling a recent GSXR because of a myriad of faults.
160-165 isnt enough? Man that rules all 600's and the 675 out. Go 750. K4-5 Nicest looking and (for some odd reason) the most powerful. 125BHP at the wheel, newer ones usually 115-120 at the wheel.

What the hell is an expansion bottle? I go on the Aprilia forums quite a lot and I got to say it isnt often there are reliability issues crop up. Maybe the ones with issues got the Friday afternoon bikes?

But if you arnt fussed then fair enough.
Old 22-08-08, 08:28 PM   #39
fastdruid
Mega Poster

A guy I know bought a 675 from new, been into the dealers multiple times due to the engine warning light coming on with exhaust valve problems and had at two sets of downpipes replaced under warranty.

Infact a search of another list and from the horses mouth so to speak:
Quote:
Speaking of larger bikes, as of yesterday the daytona is on its 3rd
exhaust in two years due to exhaust valve failures. Its a common problem
(aka design fault). This time I asked for a look at the old part and it
is indeed seized solid and totally badly designed. There doesn't appear
to be any way to service it other than replace the whole front header
pipes and collector box.

I feel a strong discussion coming on with Triumph.

It will fail again and it will be out of warranty when it does. Worst
case I guess I'll end up making a replacement valve section of the
exhaust if I can get access to the appropriate tools. They wouldn't let
me have the old part (which would have let me plan something).
Druid
Old 22-08-08, 08:34 PM   #40
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Go 750. K4-5 Nicest looking
He's right you know...

Tim theres a K4-750 on the board at work for sale, 4500 miles, bloke wants £4700 for it, thats a f*ck load of bike for not much cash, that'll leave you more money for your laps of the ring as well

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote