SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-05-09, 09:27 AM   #31
Mej
Mega Poster

Default Re: Suggest me a commuter tourer

St 1050 or VFR

Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 11:02 AM   #32
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Theres always the ZZR600. They're pretty cool.
And also excellent for the job.

Local motorcycle mechanic round here had one and commuted 1000 miles a week on it for a couple of years.
Old 11-05-09, 11:04 AM   #33
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
And also excellent for the job.

Local motorcycle mechanic round here had one and commuted 1000 miles a week on it for a couple of years.
Think Philbut on here also has one. Still shifted pretty well
Old 11-05-09, 11:34 AM   #34
krhall

I have a CBF600 on a 58 plate at the moment as a courtesy bike and I didn't think I would, but I love it. What a cracking bike. Looks like s*** though.
Old 11-05-09, 01:40 PM   #35
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoCannon View Post
Well I'm in the market for a Commuter hack to do 64+ miles a day (25 motorway 12 central london each way) and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on cheap and solid machines
I'm in a similar position. I'm moving out of London and want something a commuter / tourer for lots of motorway miles. I've got a Speed Triple at the moment and don't know how suitable it will be, as there's no weather protection. The new 700 Dullville looks OK, but there's really expensive and underpowered. I could swap the Triple for a Sprint 1050, or even a Tiger 1050, though I'm not sure if the Tiger will be much better than the Triple for motorways.

I'm a bit biased against VFR's for some reason - they just don't float my boat, even though it could be the idea bike. I really like the Blackbird and am wondering about getting an old one as a long distance commuting hack.
Old 11-05-09, 01:46 PM   #36
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Well I'd have to say that a VFR is probably expensive as a commuter. If you can find an independent mechanic for the 16K service (VTEC valve check) servicing is OK, but costly plastics to scratch on van mirrors and the like. Not many cheap ones around either.

It's an excellent tourer though and sporty enough to be a lot of fun at your destination. I guess it depends on whether you need it to be a commuter bike first and tourer second or vice-versa.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 01:48 PM   #37
ophic
Mega Poster

i'm not moving anywhere but i do huge amounts of motorway miles - which is a shame cos i really want a speed triple. Looks like i'll have to get a hayabusa instead *keeps on saving*

To give it credit, for both town riding and 110 miles a day on the motorway, my faired SV is pretty much ideal.
Old 11-05-09, 01:50 PM   #38
philbut

ZZR600 - i have one as a winter all rounder and its comfy, bullet proof engine, took me to Bosnia and back, good for luggage and pillions, and you can pick thm up for small change really.
Old 11-05-09, 01:53 PM   #39
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Think Philbut on here also has one. Still shifted pretty well
lol, just read back and saw this, yes I do. It is hard as nails. My neighbour drove into it a month or so ago, made one god awful crash when it hit the deck but hardly and damage! result!

Usual Kwak build issues, but then we are all Suzuki owners or ex owners so that will come as no surprise.
Old 11-05-09, 01:59 PM   #40
Jamiebridges123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness View Post
I'm in a similar position. I'm moving out of London and want something a commuter / tourer for lots of motorway miles. I've got a Speed Triple at the moment and don't know how suitable it will be, as there's no weather protection. The new 700 Dullville looks OK, but there's really expensive and underpowered. I could swap the Triple for a Sprint 1050, or even a Tiger 1050, though I'm not sure if the Tiger will be much better than the Triple for motorways.

I'm a bit biased against VFR's for some reason - they just don't float my boat, even though it could be the idea bike. I really like the Blackbird and am wondering about getting an old one as a long distance commuting hack.
Old man has a Tiger 1050 and says the Windblast is very good and it's only the standard screen. You sit miles back from the screen so it goes wayy over your head.. lol not much better than a speed triple really XD