SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-12-07, 03:05 PM   #31
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: I know I am thick, but.............

Good work Alan, hopefully the optimate will fix the battery! Seems you found a good dealer there too, some can be differcult with after sale help!

Good luck

Dave
Old 04-12-07, 05:40 PM   #32
maultin

Thanks Dave, I am picking up the battery tonight - fingers crossed thats the end of it, but if not I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.

I will let you know,

Alan
Old 04-12-07, 05:47 PM   #33
Alpinestarhero

Maultin, I hope this episode isnt making you feel like you shouldnt have brought the bike; battery issues with the SV are not uncommon. If the problem persists, then its likely to be a voltage regulator/rectifier, which is a very easy fix. I had to do mine in august (replace it) and my battery was instantly being charged up properly again Hopefully your problem is just a case of the battery needing a good charge...I think my point is, dont let this little thing put you off, because it really is not so serious

Matt
Old 04-12-07, 09:14 PM   #34
maultin

thanks for the thoughts alpinestarhero - it will take more than this to stop me. i have got the battery back on now. it took a few atempts & a bit of choke but it started.

still not convinced its just the battery, but before i fitted it back on i tested that itis holding a charge & it is. poss' thinking it might be the alternator - any further thoughts will be gratefully accepted.

thanks guys,

Alan
Old 04-12-07, 11:57 PM   #35
Draper

i have had many woes with a battery alan, so i shouldnt worry if it is jsut the batt

ended up the batt was probably original - i.e. 9 years old, so bought a new one and not too much trouble.

now its blummin cold and the bike is outside, i give it a full choke just to fire it up then turn it down abit, still slightly paranoid of having to go through the polava of finding someone to jump start me so i make sure it does it first time! (and always make sure lights are off first)

it could be the alternator, some of these intellectual types will be able to guide you on testing voltage of different bits and bobs, and some business about the RR

and with regards to the dealer, surely he would have to pay, if he sold you a bike with a dud battery, 3 months warranty?
Old 05-12-07, 10:13 AM   #36
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
now its blummin cold and the bike is outside, i give it a full choke just to fire it up then turn it down abit, still slightly paranoid of having to go through the polava of finding someone to jump start me so i make sure it does it first time! (and always make sure lights are off first)
it's not a problem to bump start it!! just hop on turn the ignition on and the choke up, whack into 1st gear and start waddeling/running with it as fast as you can (preferably flat or downhill!), handfull of revs, dump the clutch and hei presto. one started motobike!! just watch out you don't career into anything with the throttle pinned!! lol
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 01:00 PM   #37
Draper

yeah ive always wondered about bump starting it, but when i was on the CG125 last winter, the instructor needed two of us to push him as fast as we could whilst he ran and then jumped on and fired it up...

so i got the impression that with bigger bikes its generally a no go area, not that the sv is a biggun, but its bigger than a cg lol. would be scared of dropping it the effort we had to go on the cg

so you could actually waddle with it whilst being sat on it and that would be enough?
Old 05-12-07, 06:40 PM   #38
drefraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
yeah ive always wondered about bump starting it, but when i was on the CG125 last winter, the instructor needed two of us to push him as fast as we could whilst he ran and then jumped on and fired it up...

so i got the impression that with bigger bikes its generally a no go area, not that the sv is a biggun, but its bigger than a cg lol. would be scared of dropping it the effort we had to go on the cg

so you could actually waddle with it whilst being sat on it and that would be enough?
A hill is much easier and I usually put the bike in second or third because there's less chance of the back wheel locking up. As for not bump starting big bikes it's just that you have to be fairly quick on the clutch when it does start otherwise you do comedy things worthy of youtube

Last edited by drefraser; 05-12-07 at 07:18 PM. Reason: I'm a muldoon
Old 05-12-07, 07:03 PM   #39
Draper

i'll wait till i've got my R&Gs fitted then before i try this out
Old 05-12-07, 09:54 PM   #40
maultin

well the battery has been on for about 24 hours & it started when i tried it earlier this evening. the pessimist in me isnt convinced this is the end of it - i just hope i am not mles away if it breaks down.