SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-07-06, 05:14 PM   #31
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
Braided hoses on the SV will lessen the spongyness and increase feel.
No, braided lines will remove feel from the brakes, but firm them up at the lever end. So while it might take a little less squeeze on the lever to get them to work, because the brake lines can't expand and contract slightly, you actually lose a degree of tactile sensation. Plus, of course, they won't make the brakes more powerful, just some people might think they do as there's less pressure required when you use them.

They look cool though .

Old 31-07-06, 05:24 PM   #32
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
No, braided lines will remove feel from the brakes, but firm them up at the lever end. So while it might take a little less squeeze on the lever to get them to work, because the brake lines can't expand and contract slightly, you actually lose a degree of tactile sensation. Plus, of course, they won't make the brakes more powerful, just some people might think they do as there's less pressure required when you use them.
Correct.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 05:32 PM   #33
kwak zzr

what do you want to brake for anyway? and 1st and 2nd gears for that?
Old 31-07-06, 05:59 PM   #34
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Pers'nally I reckon that most of the benefits people feel from braided hoses is just because they've replaced old fluid with new. Either that, or they're replacing ancient stretchy hoses.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 06:01 PM   #35
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:
Correct.
Amen to that. It's like banging you head against a brick wall when you tell people that. I've only put braided hoses due to cost of OE or requiring specific lengths.

The brakes on the SV are not crap if all is as it should be. I can stoppie(rollies included) my SV using two fingers.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 06:01 PM   #36
Law

So is it better to replace old rubber hoses with rubber ones cos they have more feel or replace them with braided cos they look cool?
Old 31-07-06, 06:10 PM   #37
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Loads of peeps like and rave about the braided hoses. My personal preference is OE rubber hoses but they are not cheap last time I checked

A bit like brake pads for me. I've not had problems with OE pads myself but again the price is off putting.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-06, 07:43 PM   #38
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
Braided hoses on the SV will lessen the spongyness and increase feel.

They look cool though .

Well bugger me. You learn something new everyday. Top banana.
Old 31-07-06, 08:56 PM   #39
tricky

Quote:

They look cool though .

I felt that they did improve feel when I put them on mine, psychosomatic braking effect perhaps ?

Agree with you on the second point though

Old 31-07-06, 09:00 PM   #40
northwind
Mega Poster

Logically, you should get better feel- there's less squish in the hoses, which should mean a more direct transfer of force from lever to caliper and vice versa. But it seems not to.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote