SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 10-12-08, 06:40 PM   #31
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Next year's Glencoe Massacre

KG, at this point I think just a narrowing down, I don't see us setting dates immediately for the reason you point out, no point deciding it's weekend X if everything's booked out. Personally I think the location/campsite is the most important part, it's not like it's hard to find routes up here. But if we're looking at june then obviously we need to get dates set in the not too distant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
not to close to the AR would me nice, and it one be nice not have carry a tent, but still camp
I've got spare tents, well, at least one and can probably borrow another without any trouble, no problem to haul them up- I had a spare with me last year in case anyone did an Onyerbike and turned up with a binbag to sleep in.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 06:43 PM   #32
hovis

those wig wam things looked good

or maybe just 1 big marquee for all?
Old 10-12-08, 07:11 PM   #33
Jinxy43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
or maybe just 1 big marquee for all?

NO WAY,

Someone's snoring from way across the campsite this year is still ringing in ma ears.

Old 10-12-08, 07:29 PM   #34
northwind
Mega Poster

Depending on location/logistics, I reckon I could haul my mum and dad's old frame tent up, it'll sleep 6 with the inner tent in it. But it does smell like someone died in it. Also, it crushed OYB's car last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxy43 View Post
Lets make this better than 2008's Massacre. But not as good as 2010's Massacre will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Fuel stops more than likely took longer than anticipated, especially THAT one, and everybody is relaxed after having something to eat so not overly inclined to mount up.
Yeah, part of the problem there was that I was always last to arrive so by the time I turned up to say "Right, back on the bikes", everyone had always ****ed off And too much of the plan was mainly just in my head. Should have seen that coming, won't happen again, I reckon I'll probably volunteer to TEC again (it suits me) but it'll have more people in the pack who know exactly what's going on and who can boss people around and sort stuff out. Er, including you two if you're offering since you do it anyway. And assorted others who likewise did it last year without being asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
Different/same lines. Too easy otherwise (what am I saying) and variety is the spice of life and all that. The borders might, just might encourage a few more to make the journey up for example.

Alas no, I came up with Deflower of Scotland, Ecosse Ya Bass and John Wayne's an Arseh*le, amongst others even worse.
I'll need to speak to the North/South people, they hit the borders last year. I always kind of figured that if it's worth doing Scotland, it's worth doing bits of Scotland that aren't just England with more sheepsh***ing... But also there's no point in overlapping. But yeah, certainly the less north we are the better for most folks.

I did think "whisky chaser" was a bit too good to have been one of yours.

Last edited by northwind; 10-12-08 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-12-08, 08:24 PM   #35
northwind
Mega Poster

Malks posted what looks a good location, though a bit far north maybe... It's never too early to look at locations though. I'll throw out my ideal, then see if people have any other thoughts or any suggestions.

Best of all worlds- has a shop on site or local shops, nearby bar and hot food, camping and also b&b or hotel. The absolute ideal is a place we can take over completely so that we're not always on a leash and made to go to bed at 10pm (or a campsite with a seperate field we can use, or a tolerant attitude to noisy b****rds). The location should be, oh, let's say totally at random south of the Oban-Dundee line, though obviously south has its advantages and maybe we would go further north for a perfect location. Access to a good route is obvious, access from the motorways etc would be nice too- last year having to put people up the crap bit of the A82 with loaded bikes in the dark, was not ideal. There's more to location than distance from the border.

A decent rideout route isn't exactly hard to find But a really good location isn't so easy.
Old 10-12-08, 10:26 PM   #36
malks

cheers northy, i know it may be slightly far north for a starting point, but it does seem to cover all the criteria (mainly a campsite where we could make as much noise as we want!!). obviously there is the campsite where i put the link up for. then there is also a very cheap basic self catering/bunkhouse type accommodation place there to (http://www.thegrandtully.com/) for those who dont want to camp. if people would rather have somewhere nicer to stay than camping/bunkhouse ( http://www.theinnonthetay.co.uk/ ) is a nice hotel right on the river. this is also the pub that is within 2mins walking distance of the campsite. theres also b&b's to fill the price bracket in between. grandtully also has a small shop for any necessities food/drink. if needed aberfeldy is 10/15mins up the road for a small supermarket/takeaway/petrol

the only down side i can see (apart from the distance) is the junction to the main road. its not great. but we'd only need to negotiate it once to get everyone out onto the road each day.

i used to spend many a day up at grandtully canoeing so i know the area pretty well. maybe gone into a bit much detail, but thought i'd post all i know about the location. trying to think of some other locations too....
Old 10-12-08, 10:47 PM   #37
northwind
Mega Poster

It does look good... Can we arrange to move it to Perth?

Oh yeah, while I'm dribbling on, I did have the thought that there's no reason we do this only once a year- we can't do two huge rideouts but we could do a locals weekend away/**** up easily enough, like the annual aviemore run but with sunlight? So any ideas that come up here I'm also sort of mentally filing away for that. Camping and drinking are great companions I don't know if there's a demand for it, though, it's something for later on I think.
Old 10-12-08, 10:49 PM   #38
petevtwin650

390 miles to there for us . We'd just have to bite the bullet and motorway it all the way and not detour off this time.

Realise this is early days yet but at least it's giving us something to look forward to during these cold wet dark days.
Old 10-12-08, 11:05 PM   #39
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
I don't know if there's a demand for it
I demand it and so does my wife!
Old 10-12-08, 11:44 PM   #40
Kilted Ginger

Northy I enquired at fintry, got a very positive reply, BBQ to use 3 course meals £10 pp exclusive use of field etc I can post the entire thing up here or email to you direct, invited up to check it out so may nip up on Sunday or can do next week if someone fancies joining me for a burger and beer.