SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-06-08, 09:42 AM   #31
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Body Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Dont believe everything you read in the papers they say......brands pay magazines to give them a better write up than others proven fact, the niave would only believe otherwise.
It appeared to be a scientific (ish ) test, which is appears to me to be better than just buying a posh Italian brand

Anyway at the moment I just have the protector in the jacket, when I do buy a "proper" one I'll be going for the halvarrsons one if it's comfy as I like and trust their kit. The review just confirms that.

If the dainese one is comfiest for you then that's the best one for the job, better something comfy which you'll wear than something perfectly protective that you won't wear. What's the old adage, something like better a .22 in your hand than a .45 in the cupboard...
Old 27-06-08, 11:18 AM   #32
Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
better a .22 in your hand than a .45 in the cupboard...
+1
Old 27-06-08, 03:18 PM   #33
St0rmer66

I love how people will swear black is white just to justify a purchase .
Old 27-06-08, 05:19 PM   #34
Getemono

Has anyone tried these ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CE-Motorcycle-...6.c0.m14.l1308
Old 27-06-08, 05:39 PM   #35
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
offer more protection than the knox or anything else I tried
It's only CE1, the Forcefield ones are both CE2, as I think is one of the Knox range. On what do you base the assumption that it's more protective than others? Since it seems like you're disregarding all independant testing on the grounds that they might be corrupt, and you're also disregarding CE...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-08, 05:48 PM   #36
G
Mega Poster

I was going on the coverage it gave me whilst on my back compared to the coverage others in the same shop gave me. Mostof the ones I tried on didnt give any protection to the cocyx or upper back/neck area.
Old 27-06-08, 06:17 PM   #37
northwind
Mega Poster

Fair enough, apologies, I'd misunderstood. The forcefield does have coccyx protection but not as much up top, that's for sure. But it does protect better where it covers.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 06:34 PM   #38
MavUK

Some thinking out loud here...

As the honeycomb is single use only, do the tests repeat on new protectors, or do they repeat the tests on a used protector. If they don't then I would be interested in knowing what the initial impact figure was. If not I'd like a new protector (but somehow I still can't get over that I've seen racers in TV use the Dianese hard protector and if it's so bad why would they do that?????

The more I think, the more confused I become
Old 05-07-08, 02:52 PM   #39
embee
Mega Poster

Not going into great debate on this, anything is better than nothing, but there are different priorities on a track and on the road.

Tracks are generally fairly benign places to fall off, just you're going fast so need to stop eventually. Roads are hideously hazardous, street furniture, lamp-posts, trees, fence/gate posts, vehicles coming the opposite way etc. Fall off on the road and the biggest worry is hitting some very hard immovable object. Sliding along the tarmac is not such a big issue generally.

I have a Forcefield and it is very comfortable and well made. In view of the tests I'm happy with the choice, and agree with the various comments about the road-testers liking them. I'm sure other protectors are very good too.
Old 06-07-08, 03:52 PM   #40
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Not going into great debate on this, anything is better than nothing, but there are different priorities on a track and on the road.

Tracks are generally fairly benign places to fall off, just you're going fast so need to stop eventually. Roads are hideously hazardous, street furniture, lamp-posts, trees, fence/gate posts, vehicles coming the opposite way etc. Fall off on the road and the biggest worry is hitting some very hard immovable object. Sliding along the tarmac is not such a big issue generally.

I have a Forcefield and it is very comfortable and well made. In view of the tests I'm happy with the choice, and agree with the various comments about the road-testers liking them. I'm sure other protectors are very good too.
Not trying to debate (I have no idea what's best) just trying to work out what I should buy to protect myself the most