SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-11-09, 10:17 PM   #31
beabert

Default Re: Neutral with engine running

I hope so
Old 18-11-09, 12:21 AM   #32
fastdruid
Mega Poster

I've found with some bikes there is a slight 'knack' to getting them into neutral, typically a touch of revs then change either as the rpms are either rising or falling.

Druid
Old 18-11-09, 03:06 PM   #33
beabert

Quote:
Anyway, dead easy to do - take off the front sprocket cover (3 x 8mm bolts, need a long socket), then slack the clutch cable right off at both ends. Place a flat-headed screw driver in the slot for the worm-drive, hold it, and undo the 10mm nut (might need a bit of a tug, dont skin your knuckles!). Turn the worm drive in with the screw driver until it just touches something, then back off 1/8 of a turn. Hold it there, and tighten the 10 mm nut back up. Re-tighten the clutch cable (remember to leave a little slack for when you turn the handlebars side-to-side). Oh, get some oil on the worm drive mechanism and some on the gear selector shaft to it all runs smoothly
Until it touches something??? you can screw it in so far you cant get the nut on lol.

Heres a photo, though i have already been messing so its pretty much irrelevant really. I tried the thing at several positions

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/CIMG0002.jpg

I assume the aim is to screw the screw in until just before it starts turned the clutch mechanism? Anyway, i screwed it in so far that when in gear with the clutch out theres there was no drive, same issue.

Last edited by beabert; 18-11-09 at 03:13 PM.
Old 18-11-09, 03:34 PM   #34
beabert

http://www.dansmc.com/clutches.htm

Could try locking up the back wheel at 20mph as suggested here.
Old 18-11-09, 03:55 PM   #35
LK-SV

Not sure what you done ..... but IIRC loosen the cable at the lever and clutch end ..... loosen that nut on the bottom left of the photo ..... then screw the screw right in ........ then unscrew it about 1/4 a turn ......... tighten the bolt back up ......... adjust the cable again ........... bobs your uncle !!!!

Think thats right ............ Alpinestarwormdrivehero is your man !!!!
Old 18-11-09, 04:05 PM   #36
beabert

If you screw it all the way in it disappears inside and you cannot but the nut on So i assume they mean before the screw engages the clutch mechanism. Either way its not working, off with the side casing and see if any plates stick.

Last edited by beabert; 18-11-09 at 04:13 PM.
Old 18-11-09, 04:22 PM   #37
LK-SV

I don't believe (if it rides ok) ........it'll be that serious !!
Old 18-11-09, 04:53 PM   #38
beabert

I agree, im not bothered what it is really, i see it as a project.

Was never safe to be driven home as the ebayer business suggested though, the front tyre was a mess for a start, but i had travelled so far i thought 'sod it' as long as its not stolen etc.
Old 19-11-09, 03:45 PM   #39
beabert

Ok took the clutch apart now, the plates were very sticky and it maybe just a case of clutch drag. The plates are well within service limits almost new from the measurements. Ironically the springs need replacing as they are right on the service limit lol.

So a soak in nice fresh oil and a new set of springs are in order. Now on to the clutch outer and clutch inner.

I dont know how badly pitted they are because of lack of experience. I dont know if i can get away with filing or if i need a replacement, the inner thing doesn't seem that bad, the outer is worse. I have took some photos.

Left of center on the first photo shows the depth of the outer indents well.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/CIMG0008.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/CIMG0007.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...CIMG0002-1.jpg

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by beabert; 19-11-09 at 03:47 PM.
Old 19-11-09, 04:38 PM   #40
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

"Until it touches something" I.E touches with no force, of course if you carry on you will disengage the clutch as if you've pulled the lever in!