SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-05-05, 02:14 PM   #31
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

As I said earlier, its common sense not use the dark visor at night or when the light conditions are poor, i.e. when its raining. As Viney says there are a minority of people that spoil it for everybod else.

It doesnt make any sense, I think its ridiculous that its OK to wear a pair of sunglasses under a clear visor, but not ot wear a dark visor. I have seen sunglasses that are way darker than my dark visor.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-05, 02:19 PM   #32
creamerybutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
What you lot forget is that there is a small minority of riders who spoil it for the majority. These are the ones that will go out without a claer visor then ride home in the dusk/night whilst wearing them. Its those people that stop the tints become law!

Also, there was recently a government white paper on the subject i believe. After extensive testing, it was proved that there was no saftey improvement in wearing a tinted visor.

I still go with sunglasses thank you very much!
I have also seen a number of car drivers and biker wearing Shades when it's actually quite dark. If you wear prescription sunglasses and don't take clear glasses with you then you would be in the exact same position as only having a dark visor with you.

I wear shades at the moment but they are annoying because they mist up, They are scratched to fook as I tend to ride with my visor open when wearing them (dependent on speed) because they are polarising and everything changes colour when my visor is down and I have already lost two pairs through forgetting to do my pocket up.
Old 16-05-05, 02:21 PM   #33
Viney
Mega Poster

Ok heres a scenario.

Boy racer has his supped up nova. He has tinted windows. Now, he has limo tint on his side windows (<18% light transmittal) because he thinks its cool. He turns into your path and knocks you off your bike. You go blaming him and his tinted windows. Now his car window area is under the same regulations as your visors, as in they have to allow a minimum of 25% light transmittal. Also, you can not tint the front screen of a car. So why should you be able to effectivly, tint your windscreen on your lid?

If they allow bikers to wear tinted visors on bikes, then the law will effectivly change for Boy racer, allowing him to tint the screen of his nova thus making them even more dangerous! That i think is the wider implicatons of tinted visors.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-05, 02:22 PM   #34
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamerybutter
Quote:
What you lot forget is that there is a small minority of riders who spoil it for the majority. These are the ones that will go out without a claer visor then ride home in the dusk/night whilst wearing them. Its those people that stop the tints become law!

Also, there was recently a government white paper on the subject i believe. After extensive testing, it was proved that there was no saftey improvement in wearing a tinted visor.

I wear shades at the moment but they are annoying because they mist up, They are scratched to fook as I tend to ride with my visor open when wearing them (dependent on speed) because they are polarising and everything changes colour when my visor is down and I have already lost two pairs through forgetting to do my pocket up.
And thats a good enough reason for you to wear a tinted visor...casue you cant look after your property
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-05, 02:24 PM   #35
creamerybutter

I have seen loads of cars with tinted windscreens and they aren't able to swap it with a clear one if the weather goes pear shaped.
Old 16-05-05, 02:24 PM   #36
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Ok heres a scenario.

Boy racer has his supped up nova. He has tinted windows. Now, he has limo tint on his side windows (<18% light transmittal) because he thinks its cool. He turns into your path and knocks you off your bike. You go blaming him and his tinted windows. Now his car window area is under the same regulations as your visors, as in they have to allow a minimum of 25% light transmittal. Also, you can not tint the front screen of a car. So why should you be able to effectivly, tint your windscreen on your lid?

If they allow bikers to wear tinted visors on bikes, then the law will effectivly change for Boy racer, allowing him to tint the screen of his nova thus making them even more dangerous! That i think is the wider implicatons of tinted visors.
I think thats completely irrelivent argument, because you can't switch over you're tinted windows
Old 16-05-05, 02:28 PM   #37
creamerybutter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by creamerybutter
Quote:

And thats a good enough reason for you to wear a tinted visor...casue you cant look after your property
Yes for me it is, it's my own stupid fault yes but I'd like to save a little cash and it wasn't the only reason.
Old 16-05-05, 05:16 PM   #38
Tony-s

Viney Winey? Are you for real lol, take your comments elsewhere winey.

Go on make us laugh with your wit

Old 16-05-05, 06:58 PM   #39
fraser01

The law is unchanged....obviously a review of current legislation.....complying to BS4110...(as Rich said)

I doubt the law will change, and i doubt everyone will stop wearing illegal visors..... illegal exhausts and illegal plates......

Def not worth losing any sleep over.......
Old 16-05-05, 07:18 PM   #40
lynw

let me get this straight....

more people have done this petition to get tinted visors legal than the one I put up to get better sentencing for the idiots who knock bikers off, run pedestrians over etc etc? glad we got our priorities right here

Given the preference Id go for a tinted visor given Id rather not be wearing sunnies in an accident.

Btw can someone please clarify what the current law actually is for those of us who moved out the uk for the past 2 years and not needed one since coming back.