SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-05-06, 09:37 AM   #31
SVeeedy Gonzales

I'm pretty sure a lone copper does not have the power to do a speeding ticket on just their say-so. It has to be two coppers or one and some other evidence such as a camera or radar, or video+a certified accurate speedo record on their vehicle. If he doesn't have the extra evidence (and by the sound of it, even if he had the equipment it won't prove you were doing anything wrong) then you should be in the clear.
Old 03-05-06, 10:10 AM   #32
fraser01

Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
What road was that on?
back of ports down hill! boarhunt road is where i was stopped!

Let me know who the officer was and i will go speak to them, not promising anything but it wont do any harm to find out whats going on.

Regards

Rich
Old 03-05-06, 10:52 AM   #33
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser01
Quote:
Quote:
What road was that on?

Let me know who the officer was and i will go speak to them, not promising anything but it wont do any harm to find out whats going on.

Regards

Rich
Hows that for a offer...
Old 03-05-06, 10:59 AM   #34
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser01
Quote:
Quote:
What road was that on?

Regards

Rich
Hows that for a offer...
Pretty decent.

Old 03-05-06, 12:35 PM   #35
Ceri JC

to fraser01.
Old 03-05-06, 08:10 PM   #36
socommk23

cheers for all your help and encouragement and the stories!
cheers again guys!
will keep you informed.
Old 05-05-06, 11:22 PM   #37
Jay

Default Re: speeding ticket! no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
Just thought id add, that if they give you a ticket off there speedo, they forst have to track you, there has to be two of them in the car to agree that you are speeding, and additionally they have to then have the tacho checked asap to prove its callibrated, i do then belive if none of thoses things have been done, they cannot charge you.
Not so, if the officer suspects you of excess speed, the speedo is the corroboration, no other officers needed. The cailbration of the speedo will only be checked if you ask for it - not the accuracy of the instrument, they check only when it was last calibrated such that it's within a certain period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
I believe that the copper does indeed have the power to give you a ticket based on his word and that alone.
Correct.
That can't be right can it?

How can it be that a lone police officer, with no instrument for measuring the speed of your vehicle can be allowed to 'estimate' your speed where it might lead to a conviction?

I can't believe that it's a legal position that Police officers are considered capable of inferring merely by LOOKING the relative speed of two moving vehicles at varying distances.
Old 06-05-06, 09:05 AM   #38
fraser01

Default Re: speeding ticket! no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
Just thought id add, that if they give you a ticket off there speedo, they forst have to track you, there has to be two of them in the car to agree that you are speeding, and additionally they have to then have the tacho checked asap to prove its callibrated, i do then belive if none of thoses things have been done, they cannot charge you.
Not so, if the officer suspects you of excess speed, the speedo is the corroboration, no other officers needed. The cailbration of the speedo will only be checked if you ask for it - not the accuracy of the instrument, they check only when it was last calibrated such that it's within a certain period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
I believe that the copper does indeed have the power to give you a ticket based on his word and that alone.
Correct.
That can't be right can it?

How can it be that a lone police officer, with no instrument for measuring the speed of your vehicle can be allowed to 'estimate' your speed where it might lead to a conviction?

I can't believe that it's a legal position that Police officers are considered capable of inferring merely by LOOKING the relative speed of two moving vehicles at varying distances.
Certain police vehicles have calibrated speedos, so if i am following behind you then it will be easy to see if your breaking the speed limit. Remember 1mph over the limit is an offence. What socommk23 is saying is that the police officer wrote down what speed he was doing to catch the two motorcyclists.
Old 06-05-06, 07:29 PM   #39
Jay

Hmm, I understand the principle - but unless they maintain a constant relative position while judging your speed the speed of their vehicle in comparison to yours has to be variable. As here, if they have to do 85 to catch you it doesn't enable them to be sure whether you were doing 61-80, but it will make a significant difference to what happens to you. Fair enough 1 mile an hour over the limit is still speeding but the pursuing officers 'interpretation' of where you were on the scale between 1 mile an hour over and 20 miles an hour over could have serious implications for your punishment.

Obviously you know the law! But I'm surprised there's not a need for a greater burden of proof in order to convict against the offense.
Old 19-07-06, 12:40 PM   #40
wheelnut

I have less and less faith in plod, plastic policemen and community support plod doing the right thing. The roads are being terrorised by these new highway agency patrols pretending to be plod.

I was stopped by a very damp behind the ears kid in a panda car. He was driving the car, his colleague was slighly older.

I was driving my 44tonne truck and he came past me just after I had left a roundabout on a dual carriageway.

"You were going a bit fast around that roundabout" said He. I looked at him to see if he was being sarcastic, no, he was serious. In my opinion he explained you were driving in a dangerous manner.

And in your opinion, how long have you held a class one HGV licence? I havent got one he said, but I am a police driver.

His mate then told him not to be such a stupid pillock and stop wasting my time.

I bet he had been bullied at play school