SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-11-15, 10:51 PM   #4041
AJC

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
YAY!!! Road adventures ahead!!!
Yep need to get a run once I get the headset done. Prolly just take it to the local shop on Thursday.
Old 11-11-15, 06:08 AM   #4042
MattCollins

That's sorted then...
Old 11-11-15, 11:50 PM   #4043
AJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCollins View Post
That's sorted then...
It is now!

Reesuulltt! The headset and bearings are fine. I am a bit of an idiot but to be fair I worked it out in the end. Last night when I tried to just tighten the top bolt I didn't think to loosen the other clamps first.

Tonight, after watching a youtube video I balanced the bike hanging from the cat tree (worked surprisingly well!) and got to work. Decided to try and get the bearing out, see what size they were and order new ones. Once apart the bearings seemed solid (but could do with a clean/regrease) and didn't move with me giving em a pull with my fingers.

Decided to rebuild and see how it felt, but this time I was smart enough to think the top bolt would need tightened first to pull it all together before the clamp and stem bolts. Soon as I did this it's was solid with no movement at all. Yay!

Soo, I'll have it out tomorrow for a bit of a run (small run, seen the weather??), pick up some waterproof grease and rebuild it again.

Happy days
Old 12-11-15, 04:55 AM   #4044
MattCollins

Good news then... I wouldn't worry about greasing them again if you managed to get some "ordinary" bearing grease into it. They're all waterproof, just varying resistance to washout. What's in there will last a couple of months of deluges (that'd be keen) when applied generously. Bicycle manufacturers share the same pot of grease with Suzuki and that'd be the first reason why the bearings were dry. Don't sweat it.

Different problem for me. The other week I got in to see the doc for another round of gas and this time the scalpel removing a bunch of spots from my legs and arms. The pathology has come back all clear, but the doc is adamant about covering up and I don't need the worry.

I'm back in lycra... bib tights, full sleeves (four of each), fingered gloves and I've treated myself to some new Sidi Drako shoes, Giro Synth lid, Brooks C15....

Last edited by MattCollins; 12-11-15 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-11-15, 06:35 AM   #4045
maviczap
Mega Poster

Glad the diagnosis is clear, although not a big issue for us here, I'm always careful in the summer (scoffs to himself, what sumer) and always in the high mountains.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-15, 12:31 AM   #4046
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

OMG folks I need to feel better soon sitting in the house is dangerous. Nothing to do but look at bike parts (both types of bike)

Got the SKS XL's ordered today, then spent about 4 hours looking at better shoes, peddles and brake blocks, and as I said to Matt I've developed a penchant for Castelli clothing, I'm going to talk the gaffer into buying me either the white or red version (dunno if white is wise for me I'm a dirty little tramp)

Whatcha think White or Red?

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-15, 06:16 AM   #4047
maviczap
Mega Poster

Red, it'll match your bike, which is in the 'Rules'

Don't overlook Sportful or Dhb (wiggles brand) both have the same Italian flair and design, and use the same fabrics.

I bought 2 Sportful jackets recently, the Fliandre light no rain, which fits in my back pocket, but also has a proper race fit, no flappy sleeves, its windproof too.

But better still is the R&D jersey, although its really a jacket. Really warm, ive just been wearing just a thin thermal layer underneath and i dont think I'll need much more throughout the winter.
Old 13-11-15, 07:19 AM   #4048
MattCollins

Agreed... Red.
Old 19-11-15, 03:35 AM   #4049
MattCollins

Well, I've come full circle on the saddle. The bike came with a San Marco Era saddle, the basic 145mm variant with a splash of hideous green. It is a very inexpensive (~$35) and not too bad, about 95% right, but there was some room for improvement.
I've bought an Selle SMP and borrowed a few different up market models, decided that spoon shaped saddles are not for me and others sloped too steeply laterally (I need a fairly flat seat) as I put the stock saddle back on. I bought a Brooks C15, decided that wasn't going to agree with me either (comfy at first, but bites hard as the ride progresses) after a week and 450km. It didn't even look like giving either which is something that I'd normally expect from a Brooks.
Third time lucky, but not holding out too much hope I bought an open 135mm San Marco Era after someone pointed out that the same seat is available in different widths... $35... what did I have to lose... I rode 100km on its first day after getting it set up on a Deda post (with much finer adjustment then the original FSA(?))... zero bite! Day two... zero bite! Sweet!

PS. I've already got my money back from a friend who liked the Selle SMP and another has his hand up for the C15. They get to ride them for a couple of weeks before making a decision and avoid throwing good money after bad on saddles that simply do not work for their anatomy.

Last edited by MattCollins; 19-11-15 at 03:37 AM.
Old 20-11-15, 08:39 PM   #4050
maviczap
Mega Poster

Heads up, Halfords have the rigid Gatorskin on offer for £18. I've just ordered a pair

One of, if not the best winter tyre out there?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...nder-_-TopLink

Last edited by maviczap; 20-11-15 at 08:41 PM.