SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-12-15, 07:01 AM   #4121
MattCollins

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Hey Dean, sounds like a great day for a ride! Like Mav says, it's the effort that counts.

That division in cycling was one of the first things I noticed getting back into it. When I was a lad (groan) everyone knew everyone at least by sight and did wave... not any more. Some of it is clique politics that I have no interest in. I've also noticed that group ride etiquette is dead...

I have to admit that I'm not feeling the need to wave. If I come up behind someone I'll slow and chat for a bit. If they want to ride with me (not on my wheel) then I'll welcome the company.

The ladies I ride with will give everyone a wave... certain snobby groups though get a raspberry and a wave of the hand backwards from their butts until they play nice. It's all a big joke...
Old 08-12-15, 03:51 PM   #4122
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Just been informed about this venture.

It's run by Andy who lives in my local town, looks good and I know the area of Mallorca that they are using, it's blooming lovely for cycling.

Www.Veloclubeurope.com

I hope it works out for him and the guys that are doing it. I always liked his no nonsense attitude when he was in the motorbike clothing trade.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 04:39 PM   #4123
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yes, although its a long time since I went there (and not cycling), the Balearics have everything a cyclist needs.

As for the Alps and France, I'm always up for that

I've bookmarked it for future reference.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 05:11 PM   #4124
Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
Just been informed about this venture.

It's run by Andy who lives in my local town, looks good and I know the area of Mallorca that they are using, it's blooming lovely for cycling.

Www.Veloclubeurope.com

I hope it works out for him and the guys that are doing it. I always liked his no nonsense attitude when he was in the motorbike clothing trade.
I've been out there the last two years for a week in March/April and will be going again next year ...fantastic start to the year ...fantastic place!
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 11:56 PM   #4125
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I'm certainly gonna sleep tonight. Finally managed to get the chance to meet up with Martin and get out for a cycle with him instead of just emailing. He just cruised along gabbing to me while I blew hard. But my lord, an evening actually being with an experienced cyclist has helped me with thoughts and riding properly. I've been using too low a gear on hills and even after raising the seat at the weekend I've been riding with too low a saddle. He got me to raise it another 2cm five minutes into the ride. It felt weird for a few minutes then I suddenly felt my legs were working completely differently. We were down to 0c while we were out and it was windy but I was plenty warm enough.

Boy is he mad on bikes though, we came back from the ride and put the bike back in the garage. There are fourteen different bikes hung up in there, wheels in racks and three flying Scotland frames ready for love. he also has his two expensive posh bikes hung up in the space above his stairs.

I've been told I should try the velodrome and at £13 for an hour how can I say no.

Old 09-12-15, 12:17 AM   #4126
Dipper

Quote:
But my lord, an evening actually being with an experienced cyclist has helped me with thoughts and riding properly.
So true, as with all sports there's so much more to it than you first think,
sounds like you are starting to get hooked...
Old 09-12-15, 12:27 AM   #4127
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Starting? I should be sleeping but I'm studying Veloviewer and Strava...

I admitted to Martin that at one point if I'd been on my own I'd have taken a breather (he took me up his clubs hillclimb) but because he was there in front of me I just gritted my teeth and kept turning the cogs. I made the climb and we took a breather at the top. he got me to turn round, I was blown away, the view across the whole of Glasgow at night was my reward.

I'm away to shave my legs

Last edited by carelesschucca; 09-12-15 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-12-15, 11:55 AM   #4128
Dipper

Quote:
Starting? I should be sleeping but I'm studying Veloviewer and Strava...

I admitted to Martin that at one point if I'd been on my own I'd have taken a breather (he took me up his clubs hillclimb) but because he was there in front of me I just gritted my teeth and kept turning the cogs. I made the climb and we took a breather at the top. he got me to turn round, I was blown away, the view across the whole of Glasgow at night was my reward.

I'm away to shave my legs
Hee hee, riding with others can be huge motivation to carry on where otherwise you may have stopped or taken things easier ...a case of dig in and "shut up legs", it's always surprising what extra you can find.
Old 09-12-15, 04:21 PM   #4129
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
Hee hee, riding with others can be huge motivation to carry on where otherwise you may have stopped or taken things easier ...a case of dig in and "shut up legs", it's always surprising what extra you can find.
Yes, i found that out last Thursday week with my mate, boy was i glad when he peeled off to go home.

A huge head f*@k is to have someone sit on your wheel for 29km of a climb, when you know that they are much fitter than you, and should take a turn

Worserer still is to sit on someones wheel, when they are doing 4 mph into a block headwind up a climb, and saying "All is good". I couldn't find any more that day, luckily i didnt have any energy to kill my mate either.

Last edited by maviczap; 09-12-15 at 04:23 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 01:10 AM   #4130
MattCollins

A bit cheeky of your mate... perhaps he was having a worse day than you, just not admitting it.

Speaking of etiquette and riders who don't wave. There's little more annoying than a rider I don't know tucking in two inches off my wheel without at least saying 'hello'.
Surprising how frequently that happens... this morning I caught three riders while grinding up the coast at about 38kph and my greeting barely got a grunt so I kept going. Next thing I'm hearing is the clack, clack, clack of noisy free hubs (Fulcrum?) behind me... "Seriously?" They backed off and I left them behind, but I've had others who felt entitled to be there.