SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-12-15, 01:49 AM   #4251
MattCollins

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
Pervert!

No but really Matt, get with the pics!
As I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCollins View Post
Monday I head home with a group of other riders for our Christmas break and plan to be back on the 4th.
It's now looking like the end of next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCollins View Post
It's a white Pinarello Dogma F8 with Dura Ace Di2 group.
On Christmas Day I got a studio shot of the girl and the bike and I'll have to wait until I get back to town before I see it in the flesh.
I've only got a print at the moment... so you'll just have to make do with the link.

Last edited by MattCollins; 29-12-15 at 03:07 AM.
Old 29-12-15, 02:15 PM   #4252
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Excellent, you are one lucky boy, I know for sure that I'll never own a bike that good. Can't wait to see it.

Well today's ride was great. still trying to understand how I can be over two minutes quicker up Tak-Ma-Doon Road when I felt as if I was taking it easier than the other times.

Whats even stranger is I feel as if I could raise the seat height another fraction and still be comfortable.

I could get into this cycling lark

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )

Last edited by carelesschucca; 29-12-15 at 02:17 PM.
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-15, 04:29 PM   #4253
AJC

Much better ride than me that's for sure. You probably felt you were taking it easier because it just felt easier as you are getting better!

Well I managed to have 3 punctures in the end, and one crash (fine, bloody knee but most annoying put a hole in the elbow of my trusty Mountain Equipment softshell, grrrr). So a lot of stop starting, mucky hands and dodging pedestrians, and I waded through some knee deep floods as well, all good fun! Had a 45miler planned but after all that I bugged out and got the train home.

Soo boys and girls, what are the best puncture resistant tyres (700-23 size I think)? Weight isn't really an issue, and I can spend a bit but don't really want to spend lots on my skanky winter hack Tyres on it are shockingly worn. I kinda knew this so today was really my own fault, but not til I was handling them and looking so close did I notice how much the year of turbo training took out the rear. Just surprised there wasn't canvas showing!
Old 29-12-15, 04:54 PM   #4254
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I had a bit of incentive going up The Tak, I came round a corner half way up and there was a guy on a flat bar bike treading water. I felt like a hero for that minute or so as I caught him up and went past and asked him how is day was going. I only got a grunt back...

Which of your stops on Strava was the crash? I'm guessing it was the one next the River Leven Bit of a PiTA about all the hassles.

From what I've read all the hip kids are going to 700/25c tyres now, but for actual tyres I don't have a clue.

We really need to get something sorted to get out together we can have a B'Twin party

Old 29-12-15, 05:09 PM   #4255
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
Soo boys and girls, what are the best puncture resistant tyres (700-23 size I think)? Weight isn't really an issue, and I can spend a bit but don't really want to spend lots on my skanky winter hack !
Like careless says, 25c are the new cool. A bit more comfort from the wider tyre. They roll better than a 23c

As for puncture resistant, then there's these to chose from

Continental Gatorskin - some of my mates reckon they don't grip as well as the GP4000's, but I've not found that. They are pretty much puncture proof in my experience

Continental GP4000s hasn't got the same puncture proof system as the Gatorskin, but they are almost as good. I've seen the sidewall sliced open by a flint, but punctures on the main tread are rare. I've never had one yet. Best grip

Vittoria Open Pave CG - good reputation for puncture resistance, better comfort and really good grip in the wet. I've got the Corsa CX tyres, and they have a nicer ride quality than the Continentals, less harsh.

None of the above are cheap, although Halfrauds had really good deals on the Gatorskins recently.

If you don't want to splash out that much, then go down Continental or Vittoria's range, as many of their tyres have puncture proof belts in the main tread

Last edited by maviczap; 29-12-15 at 05:12 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-15, 06:15 PM   #4256
AJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
Which of your stops on Strava was the crash? I'm guessing it was the one next the River Leven Bit of a PiTA about all the hassles.

From what I've read all the hip kids are going to 700/25c tyres now, but for actual tyres I don't have a clue.

We really need to get something sorted to get out together we can have a B'Twin party
Yeah by the River Leven in the Renton to Alexandria segment, where you cut off a meander of the river. Hit some mud on a left hander and lost the front

Maybe get a meet up this coming weekend if I can get tyres from Halfrauds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Like careless says, 25c are the new cool. A bit more comfort from the wider tyre. They roll better than a 23c

As for puncture resistant, then there's these to chose from

Continental Gatorskin - some of my mates reckon they don't grip as well as the GP4000's, but I've not found that. They are pretty much puncture proof in my experience

Continental GP4000s hasn't got the same puncture proof system as the Gatorskin, but they are almost as good. I've seen the sidewall sliced open by a flint, but punctures on the main tread are rare. I've never had one yet. Best grip

Vittoria Open Pave CG - good reputation for puncture resistance, better comfort and really good grip in the wet. I've got the Corsa CX tyres, and they have a nicer ride quality than the Continentals, less harsh.

None of the above are cheap, although Halfrauds had really good deals on the Gatorskins recently.

If you don't want to splash out that much, then go down Continental or Vittoria's range, as many of their tyres have puncture proof belts in the main tread
Thanks Mav, yeah fatter tyres sound a little better. Likely get either of the Continentals from Halfords as I get 20% off all cycle stuff there. One of the perks of getting a C2W bike from them!

On that note I can have more than one bike on C2W so I might get me a road bike in April
Old 29-12-15, 06:24 PM   #4257
maviczap
Mega Poster

Gatorskins still showing as £18 on their website, which is the best online price by a long way

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...x-25-bike-tyre

Last edited by maviczap; 29-12-15 at 06:25 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-15, 06:29 PM   #4258
AJC

Just reserved a couple of these:

Seems a decent price!
Old 29-12-15, 06:30 PM   #4259
AJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Gatorskins still showing as £18 on their website, which is the best online price by a long way

Haha great minds! As per my post just above this one
Old 29-12-15, 06:45 PM   #4260
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Mav you're a star yet again, I've just reserved some and I'm just heading up to the store to get them...

I don't know if I should put them on the bike straight away or just stick with the tyres I've got.