SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-01-16, 04:13 PM   #4321
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
BC is worth joining for the insurance and excellent legal help if you get ****ted by a motor.
CTC is a bit fogey-ish and geared towards the more tourer/campaigner type whereas BC is the NGB with over 100,000 members and a genuine force when it comes to influencing government policies.

I've been working in cycling professionally for about 10 years now, 5 of those for BC. Funny thing is I hardly get on my bikes these days and gave up racing pretty much in 2011. When your hobby/passion becomes your work things change.
Oi less of the old fogey!

I've been dithering about which one to join (BC & CTC), both have plus points & my local CTC group is big and friendly, I know a lot of them from my racing days. Having either membership would have been useful for the legal help when I crashed after hitting that pothole 2 years ago. I will be joining one of them.

Yes, it can be daunting to go along to meet your local club, but I would, there's normally someone you'll get along with, who'll ride at you pace. CTC is better for this, as it's more about the social thing.

My local strava group is well organised & they have regular newcomers rides, my mate Ian who does this gets fed up with the ones who raise the pace to much for the new guys. Nothing more demoralising than getting dropped by the group in the first mile!

Go along & try it out & don't be influenced by a web page, most clubs are pretty friendly
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 04:39 PM   #4322
punyXpress
Mega Poster

" Oi less of the old fogey!

I've been dithering about which one to join "

Hoist by his own petard, methinks?

" Yes, it can be daunting to go along to meet your local club, "

Not as daunting as joining GM !
Old 06-01-16, 05:04 PM   #4323
maviczap
Mega Poster

Compared to most of my ctc mates, im a young whippersnapper
Old 06-01-16, 06:31 PM   #4324
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Did someone mention SPD Sandals, now that's an idea

I had been thinking about also joining my localish guru Martin's club but its a 90 minute round trip to get to the starting point and not owning my own car makes in basically impossible.

I still don't think I'm that ready for riding in big groups but I suppose I should really think about doing it if I'm going to do this Sportive in April. I now have a dilemma as I found out today that they've now set up a 50 mile route as well as the original 80 mile version.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 06:39 PM   #4325
maviczap
Mega Poster

Riding in a group requires a bit of practice and I'm well rusty, and i didn't enjoy it the last sportive i rode. Unfortunately the only way to do it, is ride in a group! Gone are the days when I'd happily scream along in a race, downhill!
Old 06-01-16, 07:01 PM   #4326
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I do like downhill bits on my own

It was starting to get dark so I felt fine coming down the last steep hill today, I'm starting to know the road on a bicycle. I think I could do it quicker in the dark as I'll be able to see oncoming traffic's lights on the blind corners as lack of vision of cars coming up the way is the main thing slowing me down. I'm looking forward to doing it on the sportive as the road will be closed so that fear is taken away.

Old 06-01-16, 07:58 PM   #4327
Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
I still don't think I'm that ready for riding in big groups but I suppose I should really think about doing it if I'm going to do this Sportive in April
I do most of my riding in groups as it's such a good motivator. I started a FB cycling group for our local area posted up my rides and people soon started to come along, I've not ridden alone when I haven't wanted to since, perhaps there's a group in your area?
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 08:34 PM   #4328
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
I still don't think I'm that ready for riding in big groups but I suppose I should really think about doing it if I'm going to do this Sportive in April. I now have a dilemma as I found out today that they've now set up a 50 mile route as well as the original 80 mile version.
When you go out with the club / group for the first time, tell them that you arent used to it and ask them to explain / show you what to do / how to behave.

Its not necessary to do group rides for a sportive. I do most of my rides on my own. It is a good motivator and I do push myself harder when I am out with the local club that I go out with.

What you will do is learn to ride in a group properly by going out with the club, which you'll soon find on a sportive there are a hell of alot of riders that don't.

When you do your sportive, set off at the start at your own pace, its really important, dont get caught up at the start of following wheels of riders when you dont know what their fitness level is. I've done it before and gone to fast at the start and I paid for it later on in the ride.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 11:36 AM   #4329
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Dunno if it's a gripe or I'm happy. SPORTPURSUIT have just emailed me to refund the £140 for the purchase I made in November stating their supplier can't fulfill the order. Happy because I was probably gonna send it back. ANNOYED because if they'd cancelled earlier I could have bought the Mavic wheelset (plus tyres) I was looking at. They have now sold out.

Old 07-01-16, 12:09 PM   #4330
TheRamJam
Mega Poster

Quote:
Dunno if it's a gripe or I'm happy. SPORTPURSUIT have just emailed me to refund the £140 for the purchase I made in November stating their supplier can't fulfill the order. Happy because I was probably gonna send it back. ANNOYED because if they'd cancelled earlier I could have bought the Mavic wheelset (plus tyres) I was looking at. They have now sold out.
Which wheels you looking at Dean?

Am thinking of getting a set of Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels for when the weather improves. They are 1.1kgs lighter than the basic Giant PR2's currently on the bike am also looking at some Sidi shoes to replace my Northwaves
Yamaha MT 10 - Sold

Current Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory
TheRamJam is offline   Reply With Quote