SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-07-09, 02:42 PM   #461
El Saxo

Default Re: The MTB thread

Right, I have formulated a plan while I have been sat here pretending to work!

I'll put a proper post up from home later, but I think I've found something that will suit most peeps & solve transport problems etc.

Oh, and it won't be the same weekend as the Peaks rideout cos I'm in Scotland that weekend...
Old 15-07-09, 06:35 PM   #462
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Guess what I just made...?

Go on Guess? I will give you a clue here.

I now have cooling in the fridge, a tray of Colemans Mum's Tiffin.

One full packet of Biscuits, 600grams of chocolate with two bags of dried Cranberries, one tub of Glace Cherries and a bag of roasted almonds as extras.

Life just got chocolatey.

Hmm, might have some left for tomorrow too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-09, 09:10 PM   #463
El Saxo

Righto, as promised, my (almost) fully formed idea...

Basically it revolves around Betws-y-coed in Wales. As far as I can tell it hits the 3 major requirements for a weekend like this:
  1. Good riding nearby on 2 major trails - the Marin trail starts 1 mile outside BYC and the trails at Penmachno are ~5 miles away. I've read good things about both of these trails on t'interweb.
  2. Good transport links - BYC has a train station of its own, so those without cars (e.g. me and Northy that I know of so far...) can get there relatively easily. Combine that with how close we are likely to be to the trails we'd be riding, we may not need cars at all...
  3. There are loads of bunkhouses or other accomodation in BYC itself and, having done a bit of googling, they seem on average to be cheaper than those north of the border (possibly even cheaper if enough of us go). Also, if the accomodation is in or very close to the town itself, it is therefore closer to the pub!
I did a fair amount of googling around Innerleithen and Glentress too and while it looks great, the accomodation seems pricier on average and it's also a bit awkward to get to - I think the nearest train station is Edinburgh (Northy may be able to confirm/deny this). I have to admit I'm also leaning towards Wales cos I'm already going to Glencoe the 1st weekend of September with some mates.

Looking at my work rota, I'm thinking of either the 2nd or 3rd weekend in September. Personally I would plan on getting down to BYC on the Friday before lunch if possible, dump stuff at the bunkhouse/wherever and ride one of the above trails Friday afternoon, then ride the other on Saturday, meaning we can have a good few beers & a laugh on Saturday night before everyone heads home on Sunday.

So there it is, what do people reckon? If enough people are interested, I'll start ringing round some bunkhouses etc and start a new thread to make it all official.

EDIT: forgot to mention too, there are bike hire places in BYC too such as http://www.bikewales.co.uk/615/Hire.html , so if you don't have an MTB but fancy giving it a go, hire a bike!

Last edited by El Saxo; 15-07-09 at 09:27 PM.
Old 15-07-09, 09:27 PM   #464
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, I think you're right about GT etc, it's just not very practical without your own transport... The local buses have actually banned all bikes even when there's space

BYC looks ace, loads of riding... Hmm, when I run trainline I end up getting put on a bus from llandudno junction to BYC, that's a bit weird. Coo, trains are a bit pricey too. But still, yep, definately call me a keen maybe.

Not sure how well I'll stand up to multiple days of decent rides mind, I've got a wee fort william trip planned for august so I guess I'm going to find out
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-09, 10:02 PM   #465
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Not sure how well I'll stand up to multiple days of decent rides mind, I've got a wee fort william trip planned for august so I guess I'm going to find out
I know what you mean, I reckon I'll find out just how unfit I am on Saturday

Last week I went out round Rivington with a mate and we were dying halfway up a climb that we were doing clean in one go a few weeks ago - I blamed the heat at the time but I reckon we're just nowhere near as fit as we thought we were
Old 15-07-09, 10:19 PM   #466
northwind
Mega Poster

I'm alright, I'll just use my stock defence, "ooh me poor crippled leg" Sadly that doesn't work as well when I'm mincing the downhills...
Old 16-07-09, 08:22 AM   #467
malks

well northy I'd be happy to drive and share petrol costs to Wales if that's easier than public transport! September should be fine for me, altho keeping costs low would be preferred as I'll jut be back from a weeks boys holiday to Vegas!!

date dependand I'm in!
Old 16-07-09, 02:27 PM   #468
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Plus how much for shoes?
LIDL cycling stuff on offer from next week - including shoes for less than £20:-

Clicky

2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-09, 07:42 PM   #469
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by malks View Post
well northy I'd be happy to drive and share petrol costs to Wales if that's easier than public transport!
Now THAT sounds like a plan
Old 17-07-09, 07:52 AM   #470
malks

for those asking about the cycle to work scheme and if it was good, well just had a letter from my employer saying if I now want to 'buy' the bike i've been renting from them they feel £25 or 3% of the ammount you spent, whichever is greater so I owe them £30 for my bike and then that's me done.

now do I need another bike on this years scheme???