SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-06-06, 07:26 PM   #481
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo
What a broad base of knowledgew of the world we are getting from this thread.

Polar Bears trying to blend in with the ice will sometimes cover up their black nose with their paws.
Polar Bears are the only animals that don't show up on infra-red nightvision.
Old 15-06-06, 08:30 PM   #482
lynw

One more before I retire since I wont be about much tomorrow.

We've all heard how the Inuits have many words for snow, but did you know the Albanians have 27 words to describe a moustache?

The word mustaqe is usually accompanied by another giving its description. Eg
madh = bushy
holl = thin
varur = drooping
big = handlebar
kacadre = moustache with turned up ends
glemb = moustache with tapered tips
posht = moustache hanging down at the ends
fshes = long broom like moustache with bristly hairs
dirs ur = newly sprouted [of an adolescent]
rruar = shaved off moustache

To top off what seems to be a national obsession with facial hair, the Albanians also have 27 words to describe eyebrows. Eg
vertullkalem = pencil thin
vertullvrenjtur = frowning
vertullhequr = plucked
vertullrrept = knitted
vertullgajtan = long and delicately shaped
vertullor = thick
vertullperpjekur = joined together
vertullngrysur = gloomy
vethullen = arched like the crescent moon

Old 17-06-06, 03:20 PM   #483
lynw

Ok, did you know never never land really exists despite it meaning a utopian dreamland?

In the 19th century The Never Never was used to describe the uninhabitable areas of Australia. In fact some areas of remote Queensland and NT are still called this today.

The term was derived from the immigrants view of being somewhere you "never never wanted to go". The term was first used in print in 1882 but imortalised to us all in 1904s publication by J M Barrie of Peter Pan.

The negative use of the term "on the never never" sprang up in the early part of the 20th century [its earliest reference in print seems to be circa 1926] to refer to loans which seemed to have a never ending number of payments.
Old 17-06-06, 05:19 PM   #484
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
In the 19th century The Never Never was used to describe the uninhabitable areas of Australia. In fact some areas of remote Queensland and NT are still called this today.
Uninhabitable by proper politely spoken God fairing Christian white people, that is. You know, the nice people who discovered the country. And fixed it all up.
Old 17-06-06, 05:36 PM   #485
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
Quote:
Uninhabitable by proper politely spoken God fairing Christian white people, that is. You know, the nice people who discovered the country. And fixed it all up.
FFS, do I have to do a political disclaimer for everything I post?

Its an interesting fact of the day thread, not a lets derail everything into a political dig/rant thread.

You know what? I cant be arsed with this anymore.
Old 17-06-06, 06:04 PM   #486
philipMac

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
FFS, do I have to do a political disclaimer for everything I post?

Its an interesting fact of the day thread, not a lets derail everything into a political dig/rant thread.

You know what? I cant be arsed with this anymore.
Hallo. Jebus. Relax there a second Lyn. I was having a laugh. I think its funny the way that (us) white guys talk about discovering countries, making them habitable, teaching the locals about what its really all about.

What can I say. The land was inhabited. By people. For thousands of years. I'm not being political. Its just the way it is. You are happy to correct people throughout this thread.

Ghana just ran the Czechs ragged. Ha ha ha ha. Brilliant.
Old 17-06-06, 06:25 PM   #487
lynw

Quote:
Hallo. Jebus. Relax there a second Lyn. I was having a laugh. I think its funny the way that (us) white guys talk about discovering countries, making them habitable, teaching the locals about what its really all about.

What can I say. The land was inhabited. By people. For thousands of years. I'm not being political. Its just the way it is. You are happy to correct people throughout this thread.

Ghana just ran the Czechs ragged. Ha ha ha ha. Brilliant.
*sigh*.... go back and read my original post. It was quite simply a "this was called this, this is where the term comes from post", no more, no less.

Like I said, I dont see the necessity to have to put a full bloody disclaimer in on everything I state. However, since you require it and I cant be arsed, then no more from me.
Old 17-06-06, 06:25 PM   #488
philipMac

Quote:
I am fully aware of the issues - I have lived in Canberra for 18 months and you dont live in the Capital of Australia without picking up the history and relevant issues.

I am just fed up of making a simple this was called this, this is where this term comes from to get something that goes into the politics of it all as a reply.

Dude. Where are you getting all this angry stuff from? Its not politics. You said Uninhabitable. I said that there were people living there. Its not a massive bone of contention.
If you are going to be so ****ed off if someone corrects you once in a blue moon, then fine, relax with the posting up of facts. Christ.

Alright. The Magic Roundabout was a French program. The lads that made it had nice sensible scripts, that made actual stories. Your man that mad Postman Pat and Paddington Bear did the stop animation.

Anyway.

The Beeb got Eric Thompson, Emma Thompson's old man, to do the narrations in English. Eric though decided that he wasnt having any of the French story rubbish, so he got the translation, and just chucked it. And then made up the commentry as he went along. He didnt know how, or when it would end sometimes. He just had some nice chats about their adventures. And there ever vigilant searches for "Sugar".

Class.
Old 17-06-06, 09:11 PM   #489
lynw

Quote:
Dude. Where are you getting all this angry stuff from? Its not politics. You said Uninhabitable. I said that there were people living there. Its not a massive bone of contention.
No you didnt say there were people there. Rather than say quite straightforwardly that the land was habitable by the indigenous population you stated it using religious and racial terms [God fearing Christian White people].

So why when you could have phrased it in terms other than that, ie to the point, shouldnt I interpret it as you raising those issues which are political?

And the answer to the anger - sorry thats one downside to the depression that Im still struggling with. For that I apologise.
Old 21-06-06, 08:13 AM   #490
tricky

Apperantly the Dutch word for the at symbol (@) literally translated into English means
"Little monkey's testicle"