SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-10-12, 07:29 PM   #41
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Collision whilst filtering - advice?

The fact that he might claim from you is the reason why you need to inform your insurance.It will put your preminm up whoever is at fault,but trying to settle it privately and not telling them is a no no IMO.
Old 03-10-12, 07:58 PM   #42
nikon70

I have registered it with my insurance. Best idea just in case!
I really hated doing it but in the long run it might save me!
Old 03-10-12, 07:59 PM   #43
nikon70

He is a director for a moving picture company in old street in London. So let's wait and see.
Old 03-10-12, 08:05 PM   #44
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

what exactly is he trying to claim against you? damage/injury wise?

if i were you i would get in contact with that witness ASAP, as said without him it will be your word against his. Most cases of rear ending so to speak are settled in favour of the person that is hit. However, he will have to admit that he pulled out as part of his statement, unless he lies, which will be pulled apart by a witness statement.

i've was rear ended twice in the past year whilst waiting in traffic and even a clear cut case's like that could have been dragged out as i didn't have witness. lucky for me the woman in the first case admitted it and was with the same insurance company so it was cleared up and settled within an hour of it happening... as for the second case, the pleb wouldn't stop pestering me to go outside of insurance to which i refused, he phoned up my insurance and offered to pay for the repairs himself only if i took it to the garage he chose, obviously the work wouldn't be guaranteed so i refused..... then he denied everything despite practically admitting it to my insurance. Also he broke the golden rule of speaking to my insurance company directly.

anywho im wittering on, get that witness on side

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 08:06 PM   #45
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
The fact that he might claim from you is the reason why you need to inform your insurance.It will put your preminm up whoever is at fault,but trying to settle it privately and not telling them is a no no IMO.
Oh definitely tell em' as its a significant accident & high value repair. If you don't and they later discover the accident history, it may affect any future claims you might have on the policy. [EDIT: Just saw your latest post].

Getting the address is good. If you want an informal opinion on how its likely to end up, give us more detail. For instance, why are you accepting partial responsibility?

Why does the cyclist now believe he has a claim against you? Has your witness provided a written statement? What did you say in the police report? Does the cyclist have a witness?

All this should be discussed with the Solicitor as they will use this info to assess the viability of a CFA.

You'll need to read the CFA carefully before signing. Note the percentage of success fee. Read the terms and conditions carefully - not all CFA's are the same. You need to understand what happens if you win your case and the other side still won't pay up. Will you become liable then for the Solicitor's fees? All should be considered.

All the best mate, hope things work out.

Last edited by Runako; 03-10-12 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 08:22 PM   #46
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

B*llocks any 50/50 or anything daft like that, you were riding down a road, it was your right of way and he ignored it. Get the filtering letter and play around with it, change it to suit your more exact conditions. Talk to the briefs...

For future reference you're probably better off hitting the next one square on, it will damage the bike less. Though there may be a lot of squealing...
Old 03-10-12, 08:31 PM   #47
Spank86

Gotta agree, the only people that benefit from 50/50 are the insurance companies since they get to sting all parties for an at fault claim.
Old 04-10-12, 06:10 PM   #48
nikon70

I agreed 50:50 as if I did the repairs myself it would be the same as my excess so could avoid higher premium. But as he is saying it is not his fault now I have to claim.

Reported to insurance and police. Completing statement tomorrow at police station.

Filled out solicitor form and sent that back in hope.

Whiteness have me wrong number so no joy there

No camera where accident was either

So my word against his.
Old 05-10-12, 06:45 AM   #49
MarkB852

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon70 View Post
I now have his address and telephone number. Based on his last email his wording seems that he might try to make a claim against me now.

So white dalton is going to investigate if they can take the case on a no win no fee basis
People are like that...

I was hit from behind in a traffic queue and pushed into the car in front. Young driver admitted liability at the scene and then later completely changed his statement. He claimed that I hit the car in front and then bounced back into his car. T**t.

He was insured on his father's policy so I'm guessing that he got home and got read the riot act. No excuse for lying though.

Still. I won the case and got some money back to cover everything. My partner's claim is still ongoing though as her injuries have not yet been fully resolved over 4 years later. No amount of compo will be enough to make her fused wrist worth it.

So yes. People act appallingly in these cases, usually aided and abetted by the insurance company. In my opinion it's best to get a professional on it and let them lead you as normal values break down very quickly.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-10-12, 07:08 AM   #50
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Drop me a pm with your email address and I'll send you over a letter I used quoting parts of the highway code in relation to being hit when I was filtering, and it worked.
Even if it only gives you ideas to modify their stock filtering letter, hopefully it'll be of some use

(Difference in my case was that it was a car doing a U-turn into me while filtering rather than a cyclist pulling out on me, but the bulk of the references to the highway code about it being fine to filter, and the other party not paying attention while undertaking a maneuver, will still be the same)
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote