SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-11-16, 03:13 PM   #41
Mega Poster

Default Re: Involved in an accident- Advice needed please

Oh and typing all this on a forum won't be doing you any favours, insurance companies have, do and will continue to use all avenues of information to rattle your claim.
Old 28-11-16, 04:16 PM   #42
timwilky
Mega Poster

From lesson learned by my kids I would always caution against settling outside of insurance.

Lesson 1. Daughter. Stupid to let the dog in her car which distracted her. Into the back of an old rover. No problem dear, my husband put this non color match bumper on from a scrap yard last week, he will be able to do it again. Result. Until quote from main dealer colour matched £400 arrived. Paid as it worked out slightly cheaper than all the lost no claims. We drove past her house 6 months later and the car still had the non matching bumper fitted. But made them sign at the time that it was in full and final settlement. Which was the mistake of lesson 2.

Lesson 2. Mummies little soldier. His girlfriend of the time is in the car in front with her mates, he is dicking about in the car behind. Driver in front slams on (No reason) and he nudges it. No damage,all mates. So on they all go. 4 moths later he has bust up with his girlfriend and a solicitors letter arrives. A passenger is claiming whiplash. So now he has to report it to his insurers who want to know why he did not report at the time etc. Suddenly 2 more also have injuries. Insurers decide it is cheaper to pay up than fight. and he get loss of no claims as a result.

Last edited by timwilky; 28-11-16 at 04:17 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 04:28 PM   #43
Heorot

Whiplash claims are a nightmare as it is almost impossible to prove the claimant has it or not. Unless it is a really obviously spurious claim like the time our driver hit the wing mirror of a parked car with 2 occupants who both made claims for whiplash. No other damage to either vehicle. That was one claim I was able to refuse.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 06:21 PM   #44
Emankiwi

Smile Re: Involved in an accident- Advice needed please

Thank you so much for your hard work at trying to figure out who is at fault and your advice has been really appreciated! Here are the latest news:

After speaking to White Dalton they told me to just call third party insurance and deal with them because car driver accepted liability.

Aviva accepeted full liability for their costumer, they are saying the bike is likely written off and I will get a chance to buy it .
I should know their final decision tomorrow.

Bike value should be at around £2500 as it's only done 13000 miles and it was in perfect condition (2007), do you think insurance will offer a similar amount ?

Who knows if sv650 fairings can still be bought new?

Thank you! Will keep you updated

Also here is the updated map with what happened, first one was done in few minutes.
Old 28-11-16, 06:30 PM   #45
Fordward

Yes, with that new map you've drawn now, it's clear that its the car drivers fault, he violated your right of way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 28-11-16, 08:15 PM   #46
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post
Yes, with that new map you've drawn now, it's clear that its the car drivers fault, he violated your right of way.

It'd be the same situation, whichever route the car driver wanted to take.

Either way, we all agree here - the car driver is 100% at fault.
Old 28-11-16, 08:32 PM   #47
Fordward

If you are going round a two lane roundabout, on the outside lane and you cross the inside lane in order to exit, and you collide with another vehicle who is already in the inside lane, it is your fault. Unless the lane markings are absent or they flow into the exit instead of continuing round the roundabout.

But not many people know this peculiarity in motoring law and everyone on a forum thinks they are right, so I never expected to get agreement from people on this thread, and frankly 650, whether or not you agree, I don't care.

Whether or not people agree on a forum, it won't change the law.

Last edited by Fordward; 28-11-16 at 08:40 PM.
Old 28-11-16, 08:32 PM   #48
shiftin_gear98

Hopefully you have it in writing from Aviva that they accept full liability?
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 09:27 PM   #49
Bibio
Mega Poster

roundabouts are like traffic lights except that the red light is any traffic coming from your right unless there are contraflows marked out with solid white lines or hatched areas. when there is no vehicles on your right its a green light so you can go. no matter how many lanes there are on the roundabout. yes its common law of the road that everyone is ok about turning left when traffic is on the inside lane and not taking your exit but its still not correct.

biggest cause of crashes like this are people leaving their right indicator on but taking an exit.

a lot of the 3 lane roundabouts up here are now contra flowed once your in a lane thats it your committed, A1 sheriffhall roundabout is a prime example.. lights, contraflows and 3 lanes. its funny as fek watching the LOP's take the wrong exit due to being in the wrong lane
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 10:06 PM   #50
daktulos

Another thing I was told, which makes sense so is probably wrong, is that as soon as a roundabout has lights on it, it's no longer a roundabout - it's a one-way circulatory system.

It doesn't make much difference, but from a roundabout you can exit from the right-hand lane ... if it's not a roundabout, you're probably in the wrong lane as they generally spiral outwards.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote