SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-01-08, 02:28 PM   #41
jumjum_0214

Default Re: Can you trace a telephone number???

My advice to you is just leave it alone and change your number.

Whoever it is probably wants to upset you and it sounds like its working.

If you make a record of the time day date and content of the call you could contact the Police and file an harrassment case. Then the Police can trace the number and as long as the phone is registered they will find the culprit.
Old 29-01-08, 02:37 PM   #42
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs24_7 View Post
how very cunning! but i don't think i have the "balls" to do it!
I do and it's fugging ingenious, will sort it tomorrow.

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-08, 02:37 PM   #43
Kate Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumjum_0214 View Post
My advice to you is just leave it alone and change your number.

Whoever it is probably wants to upset you and it sounds like its working.

If you make a record of the time day date and content of the call you could contact the Police and file an harrassment case. Then the Police can trace the number and as long as the phone is registered they will find the culprit.

The police have been informed. They have tried ringing the number and it goes straight to an o2 answering machine. They have said at this stage they wont trace the number or contact o2. It costs £150-250 apparantly to trace the number and they can't tell me who it is anyway because of data protection.

I think it will result in me changing my number. Be kinda nice to start again anyway and be more select with whom i give it to!
Old 29-01-08, 02:45 PM   #44
Kate Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
I do and it's fugging ingenious, will sort it tomorrow.

*cough cough*
lets discuss before ye start making arrangements!!!
Old 29-01-08, 03:41 PM   #45
missyburd

Quote:
They have said at this stage they wont trace the number or contact o2. It costs £150-250 apparantly to trace the number and they can't tell me who it is anyway because of data protection.
Why on earth do they charge so much for tracing a call? Blumin' extortion that. Can't use up that much effort on their part surely
Old 29-01-08, 03:51 PM   #46
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Doesnt this come under the "stalking" legislation?You shouldnt have to pay towards a police investigation into what is actually a criminal offense.If the police really wanted to trace the phone number Im sure they could ,especially given the hints you have given them as to who it is.Is it just a phone thing,or does the "suspect"actually know who you are and where you live?If there is anything more to it than a random anonymous phone thing I would think you should press the police to take it more seriously and investigate more aggressively.
Old 29-01-08, 03:52 PM   #47
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Why on earth do they charge so much for tracing a call? Blumin' extortion that. Can't use up that much effort on their part surely
It's a standard charge made by the networks to the Cops. That money comes out of the divisional budget for the year. I used to get loads of such complaints when I was on section and the Detective Inspector would never authorise payment. It's not "worth the cost" for what is considered a very minor nuisance. I used to hate that! People like our erstwhile thread starter begin to hate the sound of the phone ringing and their quality of life goes down. We were always told to advise a change of number too.

The only problem with the very clever and sneaky (I must remember those, very good!) methods described on here to try to ID the caller is, what do you REALLY (really, not want or wish you could) do when you find out? It won't stop and if you go around shouting the odds, I bet a pound to a pinch of poo that it gets worse. People like this are cowards and will feel more power over you if you rise to the bait.

I would contact your phone supplier, get the number barred and see what happens. If no joy, change the number with a divert on your old number to the new one, minus the barred problem number.

Failing that, iron bars rarely fail to offend.

Pete.
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-08, 04:03 PM   #48
Kate Moss

I called orange, my service provider, they said they can't barr numbers, they don't have the facility to do it.
The numpty doing this (or who i suspect is behind it) knows both Phil and I and knows a certain amount about us. We have moved so they no longer know where we live. Just scared of being followed home. And it infuriates me how people can get away with this - if i was a different kind of person i would be tempted to reply and cause some havoc of my own but i can't bring myself to do it *enter phil*!!!
They know what shifts phil will be working, so technically when im on my own - thats if it is who i think it is!!!!

I just have to put my trust in that one day they will get what they deserve.
Old 29-01-08, 04:11 PM   #49
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I think thats a job for the police to take action on.
And I dont mean just ringing the number and giving up when no one answers.
Seriously,Id get on to them asap.
Old 29-01-08, 04:17 PM   #50
missyburd

Quote:
They know what shifts phil will be working, so technically when im on my own - thats if it is who i think it is!!!!
That's not right and surely evidence enough for the police to pull their finger out. Any sort of harassment has the potential to develop into something bigger and whatever can be done should be carried out to avoid that happening.

Last edited by missyburd; 29-01-08 at 04:26 PM.