SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-05-07, 11:22 AM   #41
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rider caught by front-facing camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonsta View Post
He has admitted it was him by pleading guilty to the 9 counts of speeding - so was no dubt I should think.

Was it just me or did anyone else not know what "cussedness" meant??
Nah, no doubt at all that it was him, I'm just making an idle point out of cussedness He probably pleaded after being advised he'd be found guilty anyway... I just don't like the precedent.

Cussedness, does the judge live in a western? "Tarnation boy, your days of riding that iron horse are ovah! To the hoosegow!"
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 18-05-07 at 05:16 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-07, 11:41 AM   #42
Ceri JC

Default Re: Rider caught by front-facing camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
Ive been tempted to do it, the main thing that put me off is if it becomes too 'popular' they'll crack down and do something stupid like make us put reg plates on the front...
Indeed. I'll only speed past forward-facing cameras if neccessary (one on my commute is in a prime place for overtaking, no way I won't make an overtake 15mph over the limit in the interests of safety). When reviewing the pictures, they're likely to see the other vehicle and let it slide. If I did it swearing at them, or at "silly speeds" I can see that these people would take it personally ("he's swearing at us!", rather than "Well, he doesn't like cameras"). They are, after all, petty beauracrats on a power trip and it wouldn't be long before they installed a rearward facing camera/hid a traffic cop shortly afterwards. Also, on a national level, if it happens lots, they'll just use it as ammo for us to have (spectacularly unaerodynamic, not to mention ugly) forward facing plates.

As northwind says, the burden of proof is nowhere near comprehensive enough. If the man had any sense he'd plead not guilty. What's to say someone from another bit of the country (or even abroad) wasn't working in that area for a couple of weeks? I travel all over the shop for work. Can you imagine some poor local sap with a black k4 and black leathers and lid (hardly as distinctive, admittedly) getting done for my speeding through a camera in their neck of the woods?