SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Do you wear a brightly colourd vest?
Yes, allways 2 3.64%
Yes, sometimes 23 41.82%
No 20 36.36%
Absolutly not, you look like a complete t*t wearing one! 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-12-05, 02:56 PM   #41
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basket
A 37% reduction in injury...how?...is the Hi-viz made from armour plate? I should coco.
I can only presume you're being deliberately obtuse there...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-05, 04:12 PM   #42
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy
According to the research shown in the link below, the best you can expect to get is up to a 37% reduction in injury.
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...l/328/7444/857
That's quite an interesting article, fairly brief and concise (even if it has a lot of statistical jargon ).

Bottom line is that everything points towards having a better chance of being noticed in light colours than in dark ones, especially in low light levels (like winter!!). Not rocket science, but reassuring.

They were surprised that a light (white/yellow etc) helmet had a significantly greater effect than expected, considering the relatively small area. I suspect much of this is down to the height above the road, a bikers head is generally above typical car roof line. It certainly agrees with what I've though when riding in bike convoys/parades. You definitely see all the white/silver helmets standing out.

In winter I think we need all the help we can get, and I always wear hi-vis. It doesn't lull me into a false sense of security, though. Having said that, what I wear and when riding the Deauville, any similarity with a Plod bike is purely intentional!

Just goes to show that a lot of bike accidents are down to car drivers not noticing you. It's up to us to protect ourselves as much as we can (or wish to), we're the ones who get hurt, and our nearest and dearest are the ones who are bereaved.
http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=31189
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-05, 11:08 PM   #43
OldBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy
According to the research shown in the link below, the best you can expect to get is up to a 37% reduction in injury.
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...l/328/7444/857
In winter I think we need all the help we can get, and I always wear hi-vis. It doesn't lull me into a false sense of security, though. Having said that, what I wear and when riding the Deauville, any similarity with a Plod bike is purely intentional!
In the 1980's I used to commute between Basingstoke and Reading and used to wear a white helmet and the extra wide sam brown belt the same as the police were using at the time. Looking like plod was also intentional, the idea was to get the cagers to do a double take and help reduce getting involved in a 'smidsy' or a 'looked but did not see'.
I can see why some would not want to wear any hi-vis, turning up at Box hill on a hyper sports machine wearing a blinding yellow suit would certainly be un-cool.
But I think most would agree if bike and rider were decked out in urban camouflage it would be asking for trouble.
Quote:
Just goes to show that a lot of bike accidents are down to car drivers not noticing you. It's up to us to protect ourselves as much as we can (or wish to), we're the ones who get hurt, and our nearest and dearest are the ones who are bereaved.
http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=31189
Have an idea that about 60% of bike accidents are caused by car drivers, the MAIDS report will have the details.
Old 19-12-05, 08:56 AM   #44
creamerybutter

I don't currently wear one most of the time as I ride on well lit city roads nine times out of ten and I personally believe it doesn't make me any more visible than a yellow coat would have. I do however thing they are a good idea on unlit roads especially motorways as two little lines of red light may not be too visible on an unlit motorway.
Old 19-12-05, 02:13 PM   #45
jim@55

alpinestars brought out a nice camo jacket/trousers and i thought ''oh theyre allright ,may get them',but then thought of the visibility ,camo on a bike !kinda daft you ask me ,the average rider is prob thinking about gtng seen ,not blending into the background,