SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Which option...?
1 8 40.00%
2 1 5.00%
3 8 40.00%
I don't care cos we've been over this enough times and i cant be arsed to answer! 5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-12-07, 07:45 PM   #41
Girth
Mega Poster

Default Re: De-restriction process

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
It's weekend warriors who need controlling, not people who actually use bikes as transport.

Good point there!

I used my bike every day for work, went to work one sunny sunday, going along with car flow then some d!ck head comes hurttling passed weaving in and out of the cars (doing bout 35 in 30) at about 60 2 up! Narrowly missing a car turning right, what a complete TW!T!
Old 20-12-07, 07:59 PM   #42
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

i think they should keep the 2 year limit but you should have the option to do this riding MOT thinky like you said after say a year to assess whether or not to be taking off 33bhp early.

the millage thing i cant see working as like you said its open to being tampered with, plus when it comes to being able to really ride some people have it and others don't.

The bloke i did me car test with said some people can jump in a car for the 1st time and get it straight away and only need about 5-10 lessons which is what i did, but then others just can't get it, me thinks its just how practically minded you are.

phew *switches brain back off*

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-07, 08:27 PM   #43
ASM-Forever

I reckon that they should reduce the age required to take DAS to 19.

In my experience most school kids will act the tw@ on a bike of any capacity, let alone something higher than 33BHP. By 19 i would hope that they would have reached a certain level of maturity.

I don't think making it in any way mileage related would work, as there are too many potential flaws in the system.
Old 20-12-07, 08:29 PM   #44
metalmonkey

What it all comes down to is attitude, that what the first part of road craft is about, a person with a bad attitude is more likely to stack it....

I was talking about this with my skipper who is an advanced driver and bike repsonse. Quite a few accidents are casued by people being over confident thinking that they are better than they are, they panic and crash.

I really think the way the whole bike licence works just sucks, we should be wanting more younger people to be taking up bikes, my regeret is not doing it sooner.

What I think should probally happen, contray to my last post...would they let people take the test lets say and get a 33bhp licence, then after that they have to further advanced traning to teach safer rider, pass that you get the full licnce, that could done for anyone 16 and over. But you have to have year in between the the two sets of test/traning. It will be easy to tell the people who aren't ready to take the next step. Same rules apply aged is not a factor, its skill that should be judged!

I think the key to save driving/riding is advanced training....really we should all be doing it.
Old 20-12-07, 08:36 PM   #45
ASM-Forever

16 year olds with 33BHP...now that will end in tears!
Old 20-12-07, 08:40 PM   #46
metalmonkey

It would be safer than the current 30 mph limit, yeah may be 15hp would be a good idea, i'm just throwing around ideas really, not like anyone will listen to us any way...
Old 20-12-07, 08:49 PM   #47
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
16 year olds with 33BHP...now that will end in tears!
Falling off is a really quick way to learn.

I wish the 250 learner law had been in place when I was on CBT, would have actually taught me something about proper riding.
Old 20-12-07, 08:56 PM   #48
ASM-Forever

I'm probably just prejudiced against 16/17 year olds as they are usually the ped types that boil my ****.
Old 20-12-07, 09:11 PM   #49
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I think it should be one test for everybody, no matter how old, but they shouldnt do the test in a DAS like way. I.e they should teach you to ride and not to pass a test. Perhaps it should be a minimum number of bikes hours before you put in for your test, but its expensive enough already.

I had a lot of road craft tips from my dad and brother, they gave me loads of stuff that I never got taught on my CBT or DAS.

I think the restriction makes some sense, you shoudlnt be allowed to go out after 5 day DAS and ride what ever you like. If I had got my GSXR-750 as a first bike with just 5 days of experience, I'm quite confident that I'd have stacked it and hurt myself / wrecked the bike or much worse.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-07, 09:22 PM   #50
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
they should teach you to ride and not to pass a test
good point.

05 DRZ400E