SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Essex Lounge No Nova's or Impreza's alllowed. Your MC's are Supervox & Messie.

Old 03-11-08, 10:24 PM   #41
-Ralph-

Default Re: Scotland '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
A87 "Road to the Isles" which has some impressive scenery
Very good road. The surface was a bit broken in places last time I rode it three years ago, but no loose bits, just lower "layers" of tarmac exposed in places like peeling paint. It doesn't cause any real grip problems, just messes with your head if you let it. Haggis will tell you what it's like for sure now.
Old 04-11-08, 09:47 PM   #42
haggis

Ha-ha! U rang sir?

Yep, a few of the corners on the twisties from Invergarry over the top to Cluaine Dam are suffering abrasion problems. But I'm used to stuff like that on Skye anyway, so just treat it with respect and build up your feel for the grip, it is there. I will assess it quite a few times between now and next June, will give you fair warning if needed as I'm sure others will in their relative wee corner of Scotland.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread. We might join you for a day trip or overnighter if the timing is right. Possibly meet you in Ft William and do that very section of A87 (still my favouritest bitty tarmac I've ever ridden*) , or the next day from Broadford towards Ullapool.

Whatever, we will try and meet up in Broadford if nothing else. Hope you all have a good time marauding over the bonnie, bonnie banks etc.

* Time to 'fess up. The worn out bits were all my fault, can't help but give it beanz on the twisties!
Old 04-11-08, 10:01 PM   #43
haggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Ginger View Post
( not sure what the parkings like at stirling yh) I can take you in and out in car if it's easier. Also breakfast on the Sunday morning before you head home if stirling yh is not like kendal.
The YH on the way up the hill to the castle?

If yes, we stayed there in July. Plenty parking for bikes, bit of a squeeze for us in the car tho. You should be fine with a few bikes, just ignore the satnav unlike me and you will find the place! lol.

p.s. Not doing a lap of the island while you're up here?
Old 05-11-08, 10:02 AM   #44
Dicky Ticker

We know about the parking facilities at all the YH especially Stirling,if we stay there much more we will have to pay council tax.
Stirling was one of our selections for weekends due to the central location between Glasgow and Edinburgh should anybody want to join,even for a meal/drink on the Saturdays either on the way up or down.
A lap of SKYE???----All dependent on the weather on the day. I spent several days at the beginning of Sept criss crossing and going round the island trying to trace my heritage but I think the others would enjoy a conducted tour.
Old 05-11-08, 02:59 PM   #45
Kilted Ginger

you do realise if we do skye we'll more than double the amount of "road legal" bikes on the island

Is it still an island now that its joined to the mainland or has it become a peninsula??

Wikpedia:
A peninsula is a piece of land that is nearly surrounded by water but connected to mainland via an isthmus.
A peninsula can also be a headland, cape, island promontory, bill, point, or spit

Runs to hide from haggis
Old 05-11-08, 03:15 PM   #46
Dicky Ticker

Technically does a man made link count?????? or goes the isthmus have to be natural
for it to be a peninsula
In reverse the Panama Canal makes North and South America two islands

Stands back having lit the blue touch paper
Old 06-11-08, 08:46 AM   #47
Foey

Mersea Island is still regarded as an island even though it has a road joining it to the mainland, the road does flood occasionally on a high tide though so maybe this is regarded as more of a causeway, also Orford Island is actually a spit of shingle which starts at Aldeburgh & terminates a few miles down the coast at Shingle Street but still retains the title of Island.

Skye, Isle of Skye, who cares, can we go, huh huh.
Old 06-11-08, 10:53 AM   #48
Dicky Ticker

Somebody must have told him about the Talisker Distillery on Skye

Thats where I saw a nice bottle of Malt for £33;90 till I re-read the price and found out it was£3390

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 06-11-08 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-11-08, 02:17 PM   #49
Conrad Poons

Right. If anyone is going to tell me Canvey is not an island I might have to start having a complete rethink as to where my life is going.
Old 28-11-08, 01:49 PM   #50
Foey

Exactly how far up could we be going, i have heard a rumour that there is a nice distillery in Wick (Pultneytown), their product is a nice spicey, coconutty, salty drink..............so i have been told, it may be too far out of the way though.