SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-14, 04:41 PM   #41
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Did the officer give you a bit of paper with the insurance details?If so there may be a cad number or shoulder number on there.Id ask at the local police station for details of the incident and who the officers were if you are in any doubt.Does the shoulder number show up in any of the pics you took?
Blimey too slow
Old 11-03-14, 04:41 PM   #42
dkid

Default Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Dial 101 and ask to speak to a control room supervisor. There should be a CAD on the incident as the officers would have had to carry out PNC checks etc. You will need to be able to give the operator the time and location of the incident. If for some reason the officers didn't call it in (I think you said they were flagged down rather than sent to it) then you can ask them to carry out a TE (Transaction enquiry) check against the cars registration number on the PNC (Police National Computer) and this will find the officers number as it leaves an audit trail. Don't be fobbed off. If they try and tell you they can't help tell them you want to make an official complaint and this they will have to log. It will go to an Inspector/Sergeant to sort out and they will get to the bottom of it for you.

Thanks so much! I'd have never known any of that. Fantastic advice and an example if why this forum is ace!
Old 11-03-14, 04:42 PM   #43
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If that's the registration number of the police car in the first photo the Sergeant will be able to identify the officers from that as well.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 04:43 PM   #44
dkid

Quote:
If that's the registration number of the police car in the first photo the Sergeant will be able to identify the officers from that as well.

It is indeed. Thanks
Old 11-03-14, 05:03 PM   #45
dkid

Quote:
If he has reported it, or they have spoken to him and established he was the driver, then you are entitled to his details

When you say his details, are we talking name and address etc?
Old 11-03-14, 05:06 PM   #46
Grant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
Is it not a criminal offense if the driver does not report the damage within 24 hours of the incident?
Would appear to be:

https://www.gov.uk/highway-code-penalties/penalty-table
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-14, 05:14 PM   #47
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkid View Post
When you say his details, are we talking name and address etc?
Yes, you are entitled to the drivers name and address, and also the owners if not the same person. Ironically you are not entitled to his insurance details unless injury was caused, which it clearly wasn't.

The officers had no more right to give you the insurance details off the PNC than they had to give you the keepers details (which they didn't). They can only give you the driver and owner details after they have established who that is, and they don't appear to have done that yet. I'm not trying to get them into trouble, trust me I know the pressure they are under to get things done, however if they have just left this with you then that isn't acceptable.
Old 11-03-14, 05:19 PM   #48
dkid

I think I'll get onto Bennetts tomorrow morning and find out what the third party are saying. If he's admitting full liability then I may be able to avoid a whole load of hassle. If he decides to play games then I'll pursue the advice you've kindly given me.
Old 11-03-14, 05:30 PM   #49
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I'd be impressed if they have anything to tell you. They will have to write to DVLA to get the keeper details so that they can then then write to him asking him to pay up.... It may be that the insurance industry can cut a few corners between themselves but his insurance company are not going to admit any kind of liability until they have written to their policyholder and asked him to confirm he was involved (see the post by YC) and all this is going to take some time, weeks rather than days.
Old 11-03-14, 05:32 PM   #50
dkid

Ok I see, makes sense now you say it. Thanks