SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-11-08, 06:50 PM   #41
sinbad

Default Re: Motorway experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
you should be doing a shoulder check for your blind spot. A lifesaver is for looking behind you, which you should achieve from your mirrors.
I don't think it is. A lifesaver is a check of that deadly blind spot no?
Old 03-11-08, 07:08 PM   #42
Ed

I still hate riding on motorways, the wind is one thing but the morons who come too close is another. I simply don't find it an enjoyable experience. I will do it if I have to but as those who rode with me on AR08 across the Severn Bridge and along the M4 to the M32 will know, it isn't my thing.
Old 03-11-08, 08:29 PM   #43
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
I don't think it is. A lifesaver is a check of that deadly blind spot no?
Exactly. Why would a lifesaver be checking behind you?! In case there was a jeep with a mounted machinegun chasing you? Shoulder check and livesaver are one and the same thing, a swiveling of the head to check the blind spot. you can use mirrors to look behind you.
Old 03-11-08, 08:36 PM   #44
AndyBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranathari View Post
One thing you can't change is the wind direction: if there's a headwind then it's always going to be a struggle once you get your speed up unless you tuck in along the tank. Only other option when there's a strong headwind is to slow down a bit.

Is your back protector fitted properly? Shouldn't stop your helmet from going backwards as you tilt your head - it's protecting your spine from the shoulders down, not the neck.

as far as i know its fitted ok. The problem is when i get on the bike it rides up as i swing my leg over. its not stopping me turning my head just making it uncomfortable as ive got the meck warmer and it get bunched up behind.

Any tips on fitting it properly?
Old 03-11-08, 08:42 PM   #45
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

As it was explained to me "your mirrors can only say "no""

Pull neck warmer down over collar of jacket perhaps?
Old 03-11-08, 08:44 PM   #46
ranathari

If it's riding up, it's not fitted properly. Site it lower down your back when you put it on so that it rides up into the right position when you get on the back - use the transverse strap to secure it. Alternatively, don't swing your leg up so high (as you rotate your hip, you push the protector up) or mount the bike using the pegs.

As for not doing a lifesaver on the motorway, that's sheer ********. If you're close enough to the car in front that them braking will cause you to go up the back of them if you're doing a lifesaver, then you're too close. Lots of people don't hold the right distance from the vehicle in front on the motorway - remember the 2 second rule!
Old 03-11-08, 09:11 PM   #47
ArtyLady

You get used to it...and either neck muscles of steel or dodgy neck like mine
Old 03-11-08, 09:13 PM   #48
ArtyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
Get a fly screen. Nothing will solve the problem of windblast completely but even a small screen will make a noticable difference.
Ah yes that too - mine makes a big difference
Old 04-11-08, 11:14 AM   #49
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Strong crosswinds:
Be aware when going through cuttings that the wind will blat you from the other direction! Similarly other traffic, particularly high side vehicles will have the same effect.
Best thing to do is relax ( you've seem it coming? ) & let the bike do the work.
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 04:17 PM   #50
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I still hate riding on motorways, the wind is one thing but the morons who come too close is another.
Yes, you basically have two choices:

1. Ride so close to the car in front that if the driver stands on the brakes, you'll crash into the back of it.
2. Ride with adequate stopping distance and have every other car in the middle lane cutting in front of you without indicating (or indicating once they already half way into the lane).