SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-11-09, 02:02 PM   #41
Davies

Default Re: Heated Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
With the Keis one, do all the heated bits work when you've not got it plugged into the bike (i.e. when using the battery pack)?

That one's about half the price of the Exo one and I'm struggling to justify the difference at the moment.
Apparently so according to this PDF. Battery lasts for 5 hours too, although it doesn't specify which heat setting it was on.
Old 27-11-09, 02:47 PM   #42
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Cool, thanks Mr/Mrs Davies"

I've emailed them to see if they'll cut me a deal to swap the adjuster cable for a power pack...

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-09, 08:51 AM   #43
Cazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
I'd be interested to compare the two, although I suspect that EXO2 has more heating panels reflected in the higher price.
I've used my EXO2 waistcoat several times now. I LOVE IT. The whole thing heats up, rather than limited panel areas, and the heat is distributed totally evenly. It's like being wrapped up in a lovely warm duvet.

I too have real problems with my hands getting cold, but this has vastly improved things for me. It also means I can go out on the bike and be less 'bulky' - eg - I went out last night and could just wear my Draggin Jeans (with sexy thermals underneath) and just fold the EXO2 up and put it in my bag when I got there.

I haven't tried the other waistcoats / jackets / glove combo etc - so I can't provide a comparison, but I can 100% recommend the EXO2 heated waistcoat experience . I also bought the controller (an extra £40 sadly), but it's not fitted yet. Having said that though, at no point have I been too hot, so I think that I won't actually want it until the weather gets a little milder next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
Cue Pi$$ taking from colleagues that I'd just bought a blow-up doll
Old 28-11-09, 10:07 AM   #44
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
With the Keis one, do all the heated bits work when you've not got it plugged into the bike (i.e. when using the battery pack)?

That one's about half the price of the Exo one and I'm struggling to justify the difference at the moment.
I can't say, but the Keis has fewer elements in it than the Exo, so it may well power them all from the battery.
I've tried the Keis vest, it's good, particularly considering the price, but I'm glad I've got the Exo.
If I were buying again I'd still spend the extra money and get the Exo and the controller.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-09, 04:37 PM   #45
ranathari

I purchased the Keis and it arrived a few days ago. The heating elements are only on the chest and the kidneys with nothing over the abdomen or upper back, which is probably why it's so much cheaper than the Exo (as Sid said).

I don't particularly miss the panels and I've put the extra money towards a battery pack for use on cold winter mornings off the bike. It's nice and warm on the bits that matter so, when coupled with my jacket's thermal liner, it's perfect.

edit: looking at the Exo2's website, it looks like only the kidney panels are powered when using the portable battery. The Keis powers all the elements from the portable battery, so it's probably a better bet if that's the way you plan to use it.

edit 2: bykebitz didn't include the free temperature controller, the arses.
edit the third: bykebitz got back to me 30 mins after I emailed whinging about the missing controller and said they'd put a new one in the post the same day.

Last edited by ranathari; 30-11-09 at 06:51 PM.
Old 29-11-09, 07:39 PM   #46
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranathari View Post
edit: looking at the Exo2's website, it looks like only the kidney panels are powered when using the portable battery.
Correct, from speaking to Exo my understanding is that battery life is considered too short if the full load were to be used, I'll be interested in how long you find the Keis lasts.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-09, 08:21 PM   #47
Sean_C

I have a Jett heated vest. It heats your back, but by doing so it does heat the whole of you. It sounds ridiculous but it works. It runs off a battery, it's a brilliant piece of kit.
Old 30-11-09, 09:03 AM   #48
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Bought the Keis one at the weekend, they had a demo one at Hein Gericke and it does seem good.

It was the difference in price and the fact that all the panels work on the Keis with the battery - which will be great for when madam's out on the horse, or skiiing etc.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-09, 06:54 PM   #49
ranathari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Correct, from speaking to Exo my understanding is that battery life is considered too short if the full load were to be used, I'll be interested in how long you find the Keis lasts.
With the 2200mAH battery, 3 hours on the maximum setting (65 degrees C). You stay warm for a good 4 hours because the panels lose heat fairly slowly when the battery dies and the fleece helps keep the heat around you. I'd imagine the 4400mAH battery would be good for 6-7 hours on the hottest setting.
Old 30-11-09, 07:10 PM   #50
thor

Anyone got one of these?

http://www.jett.us.com/