SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-17, 04:57 PM   #41
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Potential Changes to Motorcycle Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
KSI figures in London are a lot higher for motorcyclists than for cyclists, but you don't hear anything about it at all. The papers never report it. There was apparently a TFL campaign in 2015 but it didn't seem to get any coverage.
thats londrome. with a population of 3.2 million more the the whole of Scotland in such a tiny geographical area then of course the statistics are going to be high.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 05:25 PM   #42
ophic
Mega Poster

KSI figures for motorcyclists are actually higher than cyclists nationally as well. In fact we're the road users with the most deaths and hence the greatest risk of dying on the road.
Old 18-01-17, 05:44 PM   #43
Red ones
Mega Poster

Please don't blame Darwin. He didn't say about survival of the fittest, he referred to the survival of those best adapted to change
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 06:46 PM   #44
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Please don't blame Darwin. He didn't say about survival of the fittest, he referred to the survival of those best adapted to change
His work 'On the origin of Species' was called 'survival of the fittest' by others as an overall catchy name (probably by Saatchi & Saatchi or some other Advertising agency of the time who wanted to jazz it up a bit and sell more books).

I'm just glad we humans are descended from an animal with opposable thumbs, otherwise riding a motorbike would be out of the question (or a lot different anyway).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-17, 01:02 PM   #45
Blapper

I think that we are talking about whose responsibility it is to ensure a rider or driver is safe to be on the road and putting in place adequate tests to ensure that cover what they learned.

Funny how one can learn in a manual car then be allowed to drive and auto though when one could forget what car one is driving and straight-leg the brake with the left foot thinking it was the clutch or even putting a second foot on the brake pedal as one rolls to a standstill which results in and unexpected instant stop (I have done that one).

I thought about getting an NC750 once and looked at the twist-and-go version. Low speed manoeuvring would be pretty challenging for a while, but it is learnable eventually I suppose. Interesting that I would not have to take a test to swap to it.

I had a BMW R1150RT which had linked front and rear brakes on the back brake pedal and front only on the handlebar lever. It made it a nightmare to U-turn as I couldn't drag the rear brake only to steady it. No test needed to ride it and the salesmen sold it as a clever innovation (of course).
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-17, 01:04 PM   #46
Blapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I'm just glad we humans are descended from an animal with opposable thumbs, otherwise riding a motorbike would be out of the question (or a lot different anyway).
LOL! Nah, they would just fit 'ape hangers' as standard!
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 09:52 AM   #47
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I have worked at companies where the answer to everything is training and more training (may have been that training costs are tax deductable LOL).

From experience, after training the lazy ones were still lazy, the careless ones were still careless, the 'I know everything. why do I need training' ones still thought the same - a few people who really wanted to learn did benefit from training - but in 80% of the cases the training did little good - but if there was an accident the company could turn round and say to insurance 'they have all had training' - get out of jail card, covering their arzes call it what you will.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 05:52 PM   #48
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I have worked at companies where the answer to everything is training and more training (may have been that training costs are tax deductable LOL).

From experience, after training the lazy ones were still lazy, the careless ones were still careless, the 'I know everything. why do I need training' ones still thought the same - a few people who really wanted to learn did benefit from training - but in 80% of the cases the training did little good - but if there was an accident the company could turn round and say to insurance 'they have all had training' - get out of jail card, covering their arzes call it what you will.
Bit harsh. If as a company you provide training and then all your employees immediately forget or ignore it, it's hardly your fault is it? Surely the fault lies with the employees?
Old 21-01-17, 11:02 PM   #49
Trev B

An old sage told me many years ago that everything with humans is made up of thirds i.e, 1/3 lead, 1/3 follow and 1/3 are there just to make the numbers up,as with the training.1/3 will learn and apply, 1/3 will learn and not apply and a third don't give a monkeys.If you take any 1/3 away these others re-arrange back into thirds.Wise old man was Mr Hackett !!