SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-11-09, 09:52 PM   #41
jans1971

Default Re: COD: Modern Warfare 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindle8907 View Post
i know its mad anit it .... he preordered 2 weeks ago and recived it today he said there is loads of people online lol
where did he pre order, its not on tesco web site
Old 07-11-09, 01:25 AM   #42
Rog

For anyone ordering it on the PC please be aware that there will be no dedicated servers. If you are expecting to play in 16v16 matches onlline you will not be able to and IW have indicated no intention of putting it in. They are using a new system which basically relies on the client i.e. you and me to host the game. This means that with most peoples limited upload speeds in teh UK (normally 0.5mb) you will be lucky to serve a 3v3 without serious lag issues. Use to play with friends in europe or america ?? forget it as teh new system will completely lag you out. THis is a serious stepback in technology.

Check out the IW forums for the backlash about this by PC users. For all intent and purpose, multiplayer on the PC of any semblance of what we used to have is gone. In essence you are paying £10 more for half the game COD 4 was.

IW ahve been asked to clarify this but they just treat the PC community like dogsh$t calling us the minority hardcore geeks and that they are not bothered by our requests. There is even a petition from PCgamers requesting IW to rethink the dedicated server list Nearly 200,000 sigs so far. when IW were questioned on this they just dismissed it and laughed it off.

Rant over, and needless to say I have cancelled my preorder and will not be giving IW anymore of my money after their blatant money grabbing f&*k you attitude.

Again I thought you should be aware of what is happening and the serious effect this will ahve on your experience if you play online.

IW = Infinity Ward the developers.

Last edited by Rog; 07-11-09 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-11-09, 02:56 AM   #43
barwel1992

^^ ohh grate ..... may just buy for campain then cary on playing cod 5 online and hope they get over them selves and patch it to what its like in cod4-5
Old 07-11-09, 03:17 AM   #44
hindle8907
Mega Poster

katz.cd have it for download for the xbox360 and it works
2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 09:29 AM   #45
beabert

Quote:
Yeah there will be, its been up for download a while
check out bintube.com
Old 07-11-09, 10:48 AM   #46
Rog

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post
^^ ohh grate ..... may just buy for campain then cary on playing cod 5 online and hope they get over them selves and patch it to what its like in cod4-5

I know how you feel Barwell but personnally I am boycotting it. From what little information IW have given out they will not be going to Dedicated servers ever. I like the single player aspect but as a PC gamer and unlike console players, I cannot take the game back once complete. I therefore expect at least a multiplayer experience akin to COD 4. IF you look on the internet now there are over 15000 servers for COD4, IW are taking all of that away. My belief is that it is all about money and control. iwnet and xboxlive are similar entities so expect pay to play sometime soon as this gives them the control to do it.

Dont think they will do it ?? Well they have just made teh public pay £10, $10 more accross the board for the same modded game engine in MW2. Activision who own IW also own World of Warcraft, the worlds biggest pay as you play. Finally Activision CEO has not hesistated in coming forward saying that he wants games to go from $50 a license to $500 dollars a license. Again, sound far fetched, you only have to look at the continuing music packs they release for guitar hero and the like to see how from one license they keep raking in the money, not to mention all the preferrals you have to buy for it.

At the end of the day, i understand that it is IW's product to do with what they want. I would have no problem with all that they have done to MW2 (allthough dissapointed) if hey had been upfront about the features they were removing. However, this only came out when their public affair stooge got cornered on a podcast and blurted out that there were going to be no dedicated servers, mod support or tools a month before the games release. In other words they had no intention of telling the PC market that they have effectively removed half the game until we had bought it and found out for ourselves, which of course is to late (no take back no refund)

For consollers I dont think the experience will change a great deal and you will be getting COD4 with sparklier bits that is MW2. You may also wonder what all the fuss is about. Well imagine IW coming on telly and telling you how great the game was and how it has the same features as COd4 (IW declared this to the PC world in September this year). You then get your new game home only to find that the single player aspect gone from 6-7hrs long to only 2hrs before you finish it, and that they had reduced damage all around so that casual gamers can play to the end, but if you play regulary its basically boring. I think you would be pretty p*(sed off and want to know why you were never told about it in all the hype.

Rant 2 over

Last edited by Rog; 07-11-09 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-11-09, 10:51 AM   #47
zsv650

treyarch save us.
Old 07-11-09, 11:32 AM   #48
Rog

Can you tell this has made me made yet ???

For those that dont know I thought I better explain waht a dedicated server is, i.e. what they are taking away.

A dedicated server is a seperate computer to your own which sits in a data centre with whats known as fat pipes (high bandwidth) and sit on for what is metorphorically the motorway of the internet. THis server is uploaded with the server software from the game (released by the developer themselves) and is remotely controlled by who ever hires the server normally on a 6monthly to yearly basis. This server is running all the time and is totally cutomizable the people who hire it. Also because of where it sits on the internet everyone should be able to find a server which has a low ping and is playing what you want it to play along with being able to host upto 64 players without lag issues (even more if the game supports it). The above has grown up around many games for the last 12 or so years to the point where I said in my previous post that there are currently over 15,000 servers up for COD4 and is a thriving business and community all over the world. This same community has also modded those games for the same period and a lot of what you will see in new games came from the independent modders. Tactical Nuke for 25 kill streak in MW2!, came from the community. CTF, came from the community. all the perk systems you see, first came from the community. They are destroying in essence what generates alot of their ideas!

What they are replacing it with.

IWnet which is a matchmaking system based on peer 2 peer. This means that instead of having a dedicated server to serve the game, IWnet will bunch players together and then decide who has the best connection to host a game on their PC. doesnt sound to bad until you look at the realistic figures we have to play with here. Most private internet connections sit on the non prioritised back waters of the internet. this means that if you are serving then every other player has to send there data through that back water and back. Also most connections in the UK have limited upload speeds to control the traffic of the internet from teh back waters. This limit is about 0.5mb/s compared to download speeds of upto 50mb/s. and its this very limit that hamstrings the whole system as if you are the server you have to send data out constantly to all players. teh consensus is that we will be lucky to play anythign without serious lag above 3v3. Quite a come down from our average 32man servers at present. There is also host advantage. That is to say as teh player hosting you woudl have zero ping to the server i.e. no delay and therefore have a time advantage over everyone else throughout the game.

I am sure the console players will now say but hang on its not that bad for us and we have this system. This is true, but your systems are capped at low player rates for the above reasons. You also have the advantage that all your hardware is the same. when PC players are together there is probably not one system with the same specs and therefore anyone in that server who is running say their PC above max settings and starting to struggle. it will affect evryone. There is also the issue of firewalls, virus scanners, downloads all the things that computers do as well as game playing which will affect connections.

In short they have replaced a well oiled well practised system for PC's that has worked for the last 12 years with a system which has failed on every single FPS system to use them so far, as it is fundamentally limited by the structure of the internet.

Rant 3 over.

Last edited by Rog; 07-11-09 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-11-09, 12:10 PM   #49
ThEGr33k

Well, they were upset at the "dodgy" DL's of Modern warfare... maybe its something to do with that? I may just get one of these versions of MW2 and screw them back. I mean why should I pay for a multi player that wont work? I dont want to play with a ping of 150 when I could get a MW server with less than 30! Grrr.

Oh and peer to peer doesnt work very well on the Xbox360 tbh Rog, its sucks unless the host has a monster connection. I have basically stopped playing online on it because the lag is so bad. Cant play anything! But of course you cant see pings so I probably only know whats goin on due to knowledge of such things from the PC.

I know with L4D2 they haven't proven to be that much better, but at least with Valve they dont seem to be going out and out money grabbing. Their games are cheap for the PC and they seem to look after us like we still matter!

I am shocked and a little upset that they seem to have gone backwards with MW2 though. I think ill at the very least sit on the fence and see what happens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vOMu...ure=popt14us04

he he

Just found this as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kotick

Makes sense... It does show in their games.

Ive noticed Battlefield Bad company 2. Think that might be the next purchase for me. Left 4 dead 1/2, UT3 and TF2 till till then then

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 07-11-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-11-09, 03:14 PM   #50
sv182

Hell yes!!!!!!! :d :d