SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 21-02-08, 10:32 PM   #41
StreetHawk

Default Re: I have an urge...

I've never had an issue with my BT014's.. The rear has squared off and worn quickly but I don't do that many miles so not so much of an problem. Seems grippy enough for my riding

I think there is a lot of carp written about tyres!
Old 21-02-08, 10:43 PM   #42
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_1871 View Post
I've never had an issue with my BT014's.. The rear has squared off and worn quickly but I don't do that many miles so not so much of an problem. Seems grippy enough for my riding

I think there is a lot of carp written about tyres!
Like i said i think they are good, but my mate killed a rear on his gsxr in less than 2k miles. Thats quite a common life as well, which for me is a bit short. I have rode it in the wet/dry and it was great in the dry, but markedly worse than the BT020 in the wet. I guess it probably needs a bit more heat in it.

Tyres are a very subjective thing, so at the end of the day get what you want. I just think its a shame that you might not consider trying something else. The last few pairs of hoops i've bought have all been BT020, but i'm gonna take a chance on something different this time around. I think i need to see what else is out there.

I've never got on with Michelins but the PR2's look good, but i may take the safe option and go for BT021. Despite the good reviews the Sportsmax are getting, i can't bring myself to buy Dunlop.

My plan is to get some sports touring put on, then get some part worn sports rubber for the summer. Of course i'l have to learn how to change a tyre.
Old 22-02-08, 09:51 AM   #43
DanAbnormal

I can vouch for BT021's. Back lasted about 12'000 miles and front never really wore out at all. This included a fewe laps of the ring and I never had an issue with grip in the wet or dry. Well, no issue that wasn't my own doing.........

Got some Avon Storm ST's and I'm really unsure about them. The front feels like it's flat even though it's new. Apparently the tyre squishes out the more you lean it to give you more of a contact patch but it feels like they are made from jelly babies. Had so many front end twitches, although this could be my throwing it round roundabouts in dodgy weather. Will see how they go in the dry. Either way next time I'll go back to BT021's.
Old 22-02-08, 12:04 PM   #44
StreetHawk

But can I mix a BT021 with a BT014 on the front? The front is half worn so don't want to change that to..
Old 22-02-08, 01:19 PM   #45
ASM-Forever

Some people will say never mix tyres, but i would have thought that would be ok.

The BT021 is dual compound and newer, but essentially the BT014 is meant to be the grippier tyre. So theoretically it shouln't be a problem.

Personally i would avoid having a crap tyre on the front and a good one on the rear, but both are decent.

IMHO a lot of the stuff about mixing tyres is probably ********. People have an off and then conveniently blame their rubber. Sure sometimes maybe, but i doubt its as big an issue as people make out. Look at Blue...he always seems to be mis-matching part worns/remoulds all the time and he has no problems.

I think a lot of it is mental more than anything.
Old 22-02-08, 11:09 PM   #46
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganDan View Post
Got some Avon Storm ST's and I'm really unsure about them. The front feels like it's flat even though it's new. Apparently the tyre squishes out the more you lean it to give you more of a contact patch but it feels like they are made from jelly babies. Had so many front end twitches, although this could be my throwing it round roundabouts in dodgy weather. Will see how they go in the dry. Either way next time I'll go back to BT021's.
See now I have the Storms on the Dullsville. It took a bit of getting used too, but I have to say, I have never had a more confidence inspiring tyre in the wet. I've reached the limit in the wet a few times. Although it does seem to twitch a bit. slide and grip, slide and grip, at the edge of traction, I found it goes over far more than other tyres I have used. It gives excellent grip in the dry too. I'm a fan. Not sure if they will be the same on the SV but the heavy old bus of the dullsville seems to love them.
Old 23-02-08, 12:52 AM   #47
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
See now I have the Storms on the Dullsville. It took a bit of getting used too, but I have to say, I have never had a more confidence inspiring tyre in the wet. I've reached the limit in the wet a few times. Although it does seem to twitch a bit. slide and grip, slide and grip, at the edge of traction, I found it goes over far more than other tyres I have used. It gives excellent grip in the dry too. I'm a fan. Not sure if they will be the same on the SV but the heavy old bus of the dullsville seems to love them.
[translation-mode] The avons work great on my 'big-rig'[/translation-mode]

Old 23-02-08, 08:49 AM   #48
StreetHawk

Maybe i'll consider a BT021 then, I don't do that many miles and don't want to compromise grip but the BT021 should have plenty enough grip for my riding ability..

I read all kinds of things written about tyres, someone will lose the back or front end and then say they'll never buy that tyre again.. It was probably something to do with road surface or too much power/speed at the wrong moment. But what do I know!
Old 23-02-08, 08:51 AM   #49
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_1871 View Post
Maybe i'll consider a BT021 then, I don't do that many miles and don't want to compromise grip but the BT021 should have plenty enough grip for my riding ability..

I read all kinds of things written about tyres, someone will lose the back or front end and then say they'll never buy that tyre again.. It was probably something to do with road surface or too much power/speed at the wrong moment. But what do I know!
Quite a lot, as you seem to be agreeing with me.

Consequenly while you're up, shire horse in an hour.
Old 23-02-08, 08:55 AM   #50
StreetHawk

SWMBO is in the shower, on the road to Kent in 30 mins.. Wish I could join you , but no can do..