SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-11-05, 08:01 PM   #41
Drunk Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mass
The blue cow is still "resting" at George Whites, they've given me a price of £300 to fit and do a full service on the "New " engine before putting it on the girl. This includes the £75 for stripping down the original fooked engine.
Sounds like a resonable price to me, especially if it includes a service.
Agreed.

As for using 1l of oil per thousand miles, that doesn't sound all that extreme. When running hard mine uses about 1l every 2 or 3 thousand but none for bimbling.
Old 27-11-05, 08:04 PM   #42
northwind
Mega Poster

Or to put it differently, mine hasn't used that much in the last two thousand miles, and it has an oil leak
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-05, 06:24 PM   #43
Valman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mass
Something interesting for you lot though, was a quote by the Suzuki blokey, who told myself and George Whites that "A typical SV650 engine, is allowed to use up 1litre of oil per 1k miles?

Mass
We are talking about the Suzuki though, a company who doesn't know what customer service is and I'll never forget when the customer service manager told me that crash protectors won't prevent damage in a crash* and so I couldn't have a refund after I complained when mine snapped back and did nothing in a very low speed off.

*Well the suzuki ones definitely don't that's for sure, in fact they caused more damage to my bike by cracking the fairings
Old 28-11-05, 11:12 PM   #44

sorry i still dont understand all this..

you pay 4k for a new bike... it burns oil because of well thats what engines do.. right? so they give you a low pressure light.. great.. but it doesnt come on till its to late right? your engine goes bang because of this and its not there fault???

Y the hell do they bother with warrenties in the first place.. imho and experiance not worth the ferkin piece of paper they are written on...

sorry to hear of your woes... but this is no tthe first k3 onwards engine we know of doing this.... and it skckens me that suzuki go "not our fault" i appreciate you are supposed to top it up with oil... but if u forget that what the idiot light is there for.... well apparently not....

hope all is fixed soon...
Old 28-11-05, 11:39 PM   #45
northwind
Mega Poster

The idiot light's not a level light, it's a pressure light. Checking the oil level is elementary stuff. Sorry Mass. But you can't seriously blame Suzuki because someone forgot to check their oil can you?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-05, 04:01 AM   #46
pod

Default no sympathy

You did 7000 miles since the last service.!
My motors done 26000 and uses no oil. it gets changed every 2,000 miles, filter every other time.
Its a wonder your motor lasted that long.
learn some mechanical sympathy, think forces , pressures and speed.
The motor is built light for speed it only holds 2.5 litres of oil.
youve had a hard lesson.
Oil is cheaper than engine parts.
Hope you find a cheap replacement motor.
pod
Old 29-11-05, 07:40 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
The idiot light's not a level light, it's a pressure light. Checking the oil level is elementary stuff. Sorry Mass. But you can't seriously blame Suzuki because someone forgot to check their oil can you?

technically yes... but on of the reasons the oil pressure light goes on when,...????

The oil level is Low!

Im not blaming any one either. imho, i think that suzuki made a mistake on this one....
Old 29-11-05, 08:07 AM   #48
The Mass

Hi all,

Yep my fault for not topping her up with oil, and yes I'm not truly sold on the idea of paying shed loads of money for servicing regularly, and then it losing a shed load of oil after 7k??

Adn yep it's an oil pressure light, not an idiot light, as I was also told by my Suzuki dealer. And don't forget the lovely quote of "Its allowed to use 1litre of oil per 1k of miles".

Don't know who it was earlier in the thread that said that their engine had done 26k and not lost a drop of oil. Well done that person, do you switch the engine on, or is it all down hill to work? no on a serious note, a little ****ed off with Suzuki, as they really do just brush to one side any suggestion on the customers side.
Don't think I'll be buying a Suzuki next time round, not impressed at all with their customer service - and some of their dealerships.
On the other hand "George Whites" in Slough have been great!, but I guess I would also be fantastic, and have a big smiley face if I was servicing someones bike every month and getting them to pay out shed loads of money.

The attitude of Suzuki not just over this engine thing,, but over other things that have gone wrong on the bike i.e "The Gear selector - falling out" (see sticky on this forum) that has really got me.
Suzuki really couldn't give a ****e. And true, your warranty isn't worth wiping your **** on. FACT!

Bitching over...will let you know how I get on with sourcing new engine, still ahven't sorted transport yet.

Mass
Old 29-11-05, 09:04 AM   #49
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Agree entirely, this is not down to Suzuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
technically yes... but on of the reasons the oil pressure light goes on when,...????

The oil level is Low!

Im not blaming any one either. imho, i think that suzuki made a mistake on this one....
Wrong, it's a pressure indicator, and it works like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I
Correct, but it's very much a worst case warning, the oil pressure switch operates at a very low value - when the oil is hot and therefore thin and the bikes idling there is likely no more than 10-15psi oil pressure, and the switch must operate comfortably below that figure, or false warnings will be given - all the oil light does is indicate that there either is or isn't any sort of pressure at all. When you're riding the oil light can be off when the pressure is way less than adequate.

Don't rely solely on it, check the oil.
And then understand that as the SV, it's been said a lot, is a budget machine, thus it's never going to have a dash full of instrumentation with a pressure gauge and a level sensor, but then what bike does? The oil light is there, as pointed out, simply to tell you that there is any sort of pressure at all, not that it's sufficent, and then there's the other indicator; the oil window. Together these two indicators are the very same as fitted to, and work in the same way, as the enormous majority of road vehicles, just about every car or bike you can buy has the exact same indicators of oil pressure and level, (cars have dipsticks, but it's the same idea: you look),
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-05, 09:55 AM   #50

yeeeeeesss and if there is less oil what happens to the pressure??

it goes out side normal paramitiers and should come on no?