SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Closed Thread

Old 20-07-06, 01:52 PM   #41
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws
I dont think its correct, why should non-muslims HAVE to cover up etc and follow the muslim rules if they are not muslim?
Worlds gone mad.
Im NOT racist etc BUT this is Great Britain/England, why should we have to follow their rules?? i could understand if it was the other way round but this is stupid!
How is it supposed to help different races/cultures mix and accept other cultures/beliefs? it doesnt, it just gets peoples back up!
Go back and read my reply on what if HMRC hired it out.

End of the day, its a private company hiring out to another private company. They have religious rules and restrictions which if you had any respect for them you would abide with. Its not asking non-muslims to wear veils. Just not bikinis. Would it really be too much bother for you to wear jeans and a sensible top if you were going that day?

As for the "Im not racist but..." get a grip. Theyre not asking for the whole country to convert. All they are asking is for people who are non-muslims that go on the day they have booked to have a little respect for their beliefs.

And for the "how is it supposed to help" bit, funnily enough did you hear them complain about the Christian day? No. The only people who are complaining are the British. And why? Because they feel excluded? Hardly a surprise is it?

To use this as an excuse for why they havent integrated is appalling. One of the major reasons they havent is because they have encountered attitudes like some of those expressed in this thread daily. Hardly a surprise when they want to stick together is it? Tbh, you have to be a little discriminatory to see hiring one day at a leisure park as not helping integration or helping people mix. Please point me to the legislation that says absolutely EVERY sodding thing we do has to be with that objective in mind. When you go out on your bike, that isnt contributing to helping society integrate. So why when they have a ONE OFF event its seen as discriminatory or devisive.

It only will get your back up if you hold an inherently discriminatory attitude to start with. If you dont, then you will see it purely for what it is: Just another corporate event. The fact no-one complained about the christian day just goes to show people just want to jump on the muslim bashing bandwagon and blame the lack of integration on them rather than British intolerance. Intolerance which has sadly increased somewhat since July 7th last year.

Jordan, it would be discriminatory if they were only selling to muslims which if you actually bothered to read about it they arent. What they are pointing out is that they are organising the day for the muslim community in which case this will mean halal food, no music, no alcohol. If you dont wish to respect the fact a muslim organisation has hired the park for that day, simply go on the day the BNP hire it out. It is irrelevant if its to staff or to the public. Besides HMRC would make it public in that families and friends of staff would also be able to attend and if the park wasnt going to be full they would extend that to selling tickets normally.

And youre forgetting the fact its a private organisation - it can hire to whoever the hell it likes. That is NOT discrimination Jordan. AT has hired to Islamic Leisure, its a purely business transaction which is only discriminatory if you already have that viewpoint. IL are not selling to muslims only - but the odds are that it will only be muslims that attend.

*puts down spoon :P

oh and LOL @ snakbar

Old 20-07-06, 01:53 PM   #42
Ping

I just wouldn't want to have to comply with their backwards rules for women. The rest doesn't bother me. Expecting non-muslims to comply is quite frankly outrageous to me.

So, I won't be going on that day.

Old 20-07-06, 01:56 PM   #43
Peter Henry

Unfortunately the underlying tone of some comments does appear to be simply "intolerance and lack of understanding".

Which I find to be a dreadfull shame.

Old 20-07-06, 02:02 PM   #44
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Unfortuately the underlying tone of some comments does appear to be simply "intolerance and lack of understanding".

In the tolerant, liberal corner we have Northwind, PH and myself it seems.

And seemingly everyone else in varying steps back towards the other corner.

Has anyone considered that most of the problems we encounter as bikers are because of intolerance of us by car drivers? We dont like it when it happens to us, but far too many people are happy to be intolerant of a demonised [in the media particularly] religion.

Are we about due for Jelster to wade in with "this shouldnt have been posted in general" and accuse me of being a liberal like tolerance and understanding are bad things and go into one with snackbar?? :P

End of the day this isnt about muslims hiring AT. Its purely about the press have found another reason to go muslim bashing. If you dont think so consider this.
Do you think if the Royal Albert Hall hired out AT and sold tickets to musicians it would have a. got in the papers or b. got this response from people? Because I dont think it would have even warranted a mention in the press [other than a days out section perhaps] or have generated as much of a reaction from people.

Which means ultimately this is purely how you see muslims and Islam in this country. If you are intolerant of it - then this is a bad thing. If youre tolerant of it - then this is purely a private company hiring for a group of like minded people. Bit like the Angels running the bull dog bash tbh. Ban this, wave goodbye to bike rallies.

Old 20-07-06, 02:05 PM   #45
carty

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar
He thinks that anyone that is 'outraged' by the actions of having a muslim only day at a theme park really should take a long look at themselves. As has rightly been pointed out, nobody seemed to care anything when AT have done similar in the past for Christians.
I don't think anyone is 'outraged', I'm certainly not, I just don't think AT or whoever organises these 'X only' days should do them. AT probably thinks it is a money spinner or good press or whatever so I can see why they agree to it but I just don't see the value of it. Yes we live in an increasingly multi-cultural society, and that is great, no problem at all, but it is the PC gone mad thing that gets me.

At the schools where my parents teach, both primary schools in very mixed culture areas btw, they have a situation where they celebrate chinese new year, ramadan, etc, but they are being stopped from celebrating lent, and they have to call the traditional Christmas concert the 'fesival of lights'. This is the ridiculous thing that gets me. It is taking positive discrimination too far. It like in the police force recently where they have to hire X over Y to make up a quota, even though Y would be the better person for the job, again, ridiculous.

This is nothing to do with racism, its just a lack of common sense.

/ end second rant!

Old 20-07-06, 02:06 PM   #46
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
That is NOT discrimination Jordan.
Of course it is. They might sell the tickets to anyone, but if attendance requires abiding by rules that noone other than a muslim will abide by then it makes no difference.

Old 20-07-06, 02:10 PM   #47
skidmarx

It's a shame really..... why do people have to look for reasons to support their insecurities and ignorance?
Are we going to ban SV only track days too?
I'm with the wooly libs by the way.

Old 20-07-06, 02:16 PM   #48
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortuately the underlying tone of some comments does appear to be simply "intolerance and lack of understanding".

Has anyone considered that most of the problems we encounter as bikers are because of intolerance of us by car drivers? We dont like it when it happens to us, but far too many people are happy to be intolerant of a demonised [in the media particularly] religion.

Are we about due for Jelster to wade in with "this shouldnt have been posted in general" and accuse me of being a liberal like tolerance and understanding are bad things and go into one with snackbar?? :P
Oh get off your high horse.

There just happens to be two schools of thought here.

1) It is intollerant to block certain groups of people from hosting events

or

2) It is intollerant to let certain groups of people from hosting events that block others from attending.

Your view on which is the greater evil just happens to differ from mine.

Old 20-07-06, 02:19 PM   #49
carty

Quote:
If you dont think so consider this.
Do you think if the Royal Albert Hall hired out AT and sold tickets to musicians it would have a. got in the papers or b. got this response from people? Because I dont think it would have even warranted a mention in the press
Yes but would the Royal Albert Hall specify that only people with a finely tuned ear, carrying an instrument could come in?

I'm somewhere between left and right on this one. It's great to get people doing things they wouldn't normally do, like muslims going to Alton Towers if that's what the event is supposed to do (my Muslim friends would go any day of the year anyway), but for me it is the issue of political correctness going mad that is my gripe. PC is not what this thread is necessarily about, so erm, I'll get my coat..

Old 20-07-06, 02:19 PM   #50
snackbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Quote:
Quote:

Oh get off your high horse.

There just happens to be two schools of thought here.

1) It is intollerant to block certain groups of people from hosting events

or

2) It is intollerant to let certain groups of people from hosting events that block others from attending.

Your view on which is the greater evil just happens to differ from mine.
Which school are you with Jordan?

Closed Thread