Old 12-01-06, 07:11 PM   #41
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarko5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
At least Shropshire is central and therefore accessible to most peeps.

Central to Where :P

I think, looking at the map that "Hawes" in North Yorkshire is the most central point in the UK ( Except NI )

just my 0.02p worth... (Scotland included)
Old 12-01-06, 07:30 PM   #42
amarko5

Richie move it a little north and left onto the green patch called the lakes.

that includes Norn Iron

here's the picture so far of the AR's

OOPS made a boo boo forgot to add Box hill guess thats dahn sauf as well

Old 12-01-06, 07:45 PM   #43
Stig

I think that you will find that Shropshire is more central to the rest of the the site users rather than central to the UK.

Seems rather a pointless exercise having the annual rideout so far north when the majority of the people that would want to attend the rideout live further down south.

I think it's somewhat unfair that you are making such an issue of this. I'm sure there would be far more people able to attend the rideout if it were in Shropshire than if it were for example in York.

For the record, if it were held in Scotland I would still attend. Although I think Mrs Ape would probably meet me there after taking the train.

Old 12-01-06, 08:07 PM   #44
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Maybe we can do a special rideout later in the year, for those of northerly persuasion. I've always fancied a trip to whisky country.

John
Old 12-01-06, 08:11 PM   #45
Jelster

Mark,

All I can say is:

If you want to take the responsibility of organising AR07, then you can have it on your doorstep.

Simple as that.........

Old 12-01-06, 08:13 PM   #46
Cronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Maybe we can do a special rideout later in the year, for those of northerly persuasion. I've always fancied a trip to whisky country.

John
Great idea John. and one I suggested last year

There was a really successful Scots / Irish /Essex Ride Out up here last year and a repeat is on the cards with an Essex contingent already keen for dates. This could be the Great North Ride Out with thermal clad southerners welcome.

Old 12-01-06, 08:14 PM   #47
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarko5
And jonboy you need some more sleep Seems like your a little Tired there mate :P
'Tis true - so if I offended then I apologize.

Old 12-01-06, 08:31 PM   #48
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Amarko, I think you're being unfair. We've been through this before, no-one is being excluded, no-one is being discriminated against, no part of the country is being ignored. Simply, what's being attempted is to try to get a meeting arranged that suits as many people as is practical and possible, if you find that the rideout location doesn't suit you then that's a shame, but that's the way geography crumbles.

From earlier in the thread, after a similar criticism to your own had been made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
I don't think that's fair at all.
Bearing in mind that those who actually took on the responsibility for the organising - which is to the benefit of all who attended - live further south, and as such are able easily to get the area concerned such that arrangemets could practically be made.
Further, I believe that for this issue the geographical centre of the country is irrelevant, what's important is that the meeting be made practically available to the greatest amount of potential attendees, which is presumably what we want; as large an attendance as is possible, and as such, considering that the greatest concentration of SVers is probably further south than the geographical centre, (if I'm wrong - I usually am - then somebody will surely correct this), then it's only realistic to site the area somewhere tending further south. This clearly cannot suit everybody, but that's the way geography crumbles.

I think this year's run had an excellent and diverse attendance from an encouraging selection of the regional sections, but if the annual meeting is placed somewhere which is in reality likely to attract a smaller attendance, and one which is likely to be only representing less areas of the country could it be considered to be an all-of-SV650.org-meet?

Scotland would be just fine with me - particularly with a bit of notice, I'd make the trip a bit longer than there and back - but I have a feeling I'd be on the way north with a very small number of others, this doesn't please me at all, but I do believe it would prove to be true.
Subsequently no-one made any serious suggestion that the centre of gravity of the .ORG was further North than the estimated area.

PS Carlisle - Shrewsbury ~ 180 miles, London - Shrewsbury ~ 170 miles. Just an observation.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Old 12-01-06, 08:41 PM   #49
amarko5

Lighten up chaps :P

this started as a **** take at jonboy (who must have been having a bad day) judging by his reply

I am sorry that it appears to have got out of all proportion (maybe my humour is different) having said that, if you want AR07 in the lakes or even into Scotland I am sure myself and Cronos could accomodate this quite nicely (roped you in there boyo )

I know geography will never be perfect (but it is a well know fact that most southerners have never been north of the watford gap :P ) ok i will stop now as it seems to have hit too many raw nerves down there (please mr policeman they are ganging up on me )

I have been ill the last week and a half and am feeling better today (maybe i have had too much time on my hands to wind people up ) or maybe im just feeling evil today.

either way i have had my fix so we can all stop fighting now ehh

have fun in shropshire for all those that attend

and jelster I will see you soon :P

Old 12-01-06, 08:48 PM   #50
Peter Henry

Jelster..I was going to offer to organise AR07 on my patch but no doubt that would be too far south for some as well! But beejayzus what fine roads they would have to ride!

(Mind you I think Mystery Jimbo would have to fit air con to his bike to even consider it! )