SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-04-07, 06:09 PM   #41
Jelster

Default Re: Welcome to Wales :o(

It's all b****cks. Motorcyclists are being victimised because it's an easy way of keeping their figures down. If they looked at some of the root causes, like bad DRIVING (not riding), poorly maintained commercial vehicles etc then it wouldn't be so bad. But they don't stop anywhere near as many car drivers, and we only make up about 10% of the vehicles on the road.

It's just Brunstom doing what he feels is right because he can, and the bloke needs a serious kick in the gonads. I feel lucky that I don't live out that way, and if they're up to they're old tricks again I might delay that trip to the Ponderosa.

Old 10-04-07, 06:14 PM   #42
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

mind you-

I nearly crashed twice looking at the helicopter..

naa it does have an effect.. just its presence does make you aware more of others and your riding.

and it did seem to have an unhealthy interest in ED.
Old 10-04-07, 06:17 PM   #43
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster View Post
It's all b****cks. Motorcyclists are being victimised because it's an easy way of keeping their figures down.

'cos we make up a large proportion of those figures. Only one bike with airbags as far as I am aware!
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 06:21 PM   #44
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePete View Post
Surely preventing that horror is worth whatever it costs? (after all, we all read the threads and add our RIP's don't we?)
No it isn't, because the ultimate cost of preventing such 'horrors' will be the eradication of biking altogether. There are far worse things in life than death.
Old 10-04-07, 06:31 PM   #45
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
There are far worse things in life than death.
No there isn't, death ends it all, usually, in the case of bikers, in a violent, nasty, painfull and undignified way.
Education is the preserve of our friends, riding partners, and contemporaries. Enforcement is the preserve of the Law.
Old 10-04-07, 06:36 PM   #46
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
how can a copter catch you?? does it have speed detection kit in it proving the speed?? if not it is flawed and any challenge to it would surley lead to it being dropped in court?
The North Wales police helicopter can accurately measure speed, and record number plates. They also have a radio to direct ground forces to you. I also know of one incident where 2 bikers pulled up at a fuel station. Helicopter landed, and the officers strolled over & booked the bikers. The bikers knew nothing about it until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster View Post
It's just Brunstom doing what he feels is right because he can, and the bloke needs a serious kick in the gonads. I feel lucky that I don't live out that way, and if they're up to they're old tricks again I might delay that trip to the Ponderosa.
It wasn't that long ago that Brunstrum got a vote of no confidence by the majority of the council.

Brunstrum & the chopper isn't any reason to miss Ponderosa IMO.
Old 10-04-07, 07:21 PM   #47
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
No there isn't, death ends it all, usually, in the case of bikers, in a violent, nasty, painfull and undignified way.
Education is the preserve of our friends, riding partners, and contemporaries. Enforcement is the preserve of the Law.
This might come as a shock to you, but life has a 100% mortality rate. People should be allowed to make the most of the time they have, and if that involves taking personal risks then so be it.
Old 10-04-07, 07:36 PM   #48
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
This might come as a shock to you, but life has a 100% mortality rate. People should be allowed to make the most of the time they have, and if that involves taking personal risks then so be it.
I agree, however, not everyone who dies as a result of excess speed is the person responsible for that speed. If you honestly believe in your post, keep that risk taking to the racetrack. The open road is shared by many people who may not have such a relaxed attitude to being savagely ripped from the life thay have invested so much in, be that investement their familly, friends or budgie!
Old 10-04-07, 07:50 PM   #49
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
I agree, however, not everyone who dies as a result of excess speed is the person responsible for that speed. If you honestly believe in your post, keep that risk taking to the racetrack. The open road is shared by many people who may not have such a relaxed attitude to being savagely ripped from the life thay have invested so much in, be that investement their familly, friends or budgie!
I didn't say anything about excess speed. Riding a bike is taking a personal risk. It's a choice we have to make ourselves, and we should be allowed to freedom to do so. That freedom comes at a price, both in terms of lives and money, and is one that has to be paid, lest we all live out our lives in bubble wrap.
Old 10-04-07, 08:03 PM   #50
Bluepete
Mega Poster

In this country, despite the MCN headlines and other scaremongers, we do still enjoy a vast amount of personal freedom, no doubt, and it's a wonderfull place for it!
I appreciate that any riding is a risk taking exercise, but I thought we were discussing the use of a very expensive helicopter for speed enforcement and the rights and wrongs of that. If I misinterpreted the direction of the post, then I apologise.