SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2009 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2009 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 07-04-09, 11:21 AM   #501
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Mega (AR09) thread.

I've noticed a few grumblings on this thread. I'd just like to point out that organising such an event is a major task and not to be taken lightly.

I'm always appreciative that people take the time and effort to put themselves forward and possibly into the firing line.

I think Messie used the Camel and Committee metaphor, and it's true. Whilst it's nice to have a full democratic system, in reality it just turns into a farce with everyone wanting something different and in the end no one gets what they want.

So I think it's only fair to let the person/persons organising the event to call the shots. They're all nice people and they will endeavor to try and accommodate everyone's wishes, where practical.

Just remember it's impossible to please everyone.

If you fancy organising AR10 next year, then you'll need a thick skin and be careful if you ask for peoples opinions, you might not get the reponse you expect

So I'd just like to say thanks to Messie and Simon, your efforts are appreciated (sorry if I missed anyone else).

John
Old 07-04-09, 11:24 AM   #502
RichT

+1 - doing a good job guys and girls...
Old 07-04-09, 11:31 AM   #503
Alpinestarhero

John, excellent post. The locals of the area will know whats best (one would hope) and, if AR08 was anything to go by, AR09 is gonna be brilliant.

BTW John, will you be there?!?!
Old 07-04-09, 11:32 AM   #504
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
I am sure I can get Lizzie to let us camp in her back garden @ Buck House, then its not that far to the M25 for a lap
what? naaaa lets do the north / south circ
Old 07-04-09, 11:39 AM   #505
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Thanks for the comments John. I'm certain it's all going to be great. And I'm not asking for any more opinions thats for sure lol! In due course I'll just announce what's happening.
Btw Jonathan (Supervox) needs thanks too, for the great route, which incidently is taking us on some fantastic roads through the largely unsung and pretty parts of Essex
Old 07-04-09, 11:43 AM   #506
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messie View Post
taking us on some fantastic roads through the largely unsung and pretty parts of Essex
best bring my Nikon this year then
Old 07-04-09, 12:25 PM   #507
timwilky
Mega Poster

OK I have stayed out of all this, but might as well now toss my two penneth worth in.

Some of will be coming a fair old distance, by the time we get there we need to be able to

Pitch tent
grab a bite to eat
down a few beers

Next day we need to get a decent bite to eat for breakfast, and fill up. some can be eating whilst others fill up and then others who have eaten can fill up etc. In other words the ride out should start with everyone on full tanks and bellies.

Those of a delicate disposition stop reading here. I happen to have a medical problem, and will not be going anywhere for upto an hour after I have got up. So please let me in first for breakfast and keep one trap free.

Personally I would have aimed for about 100 mile for first stop, the ride out is not spirited riding and even the most thirsty of bikes should be capable of that. Then a 45min/1 hour break whilst the nicotine heads get their fix, everyone fills up again, troughs out and then another 50-75 miles to get everyone back to base to hit showers, beer, and food etc.

I too think there is probably a stop too much and not enough distance between.

I view the AR has multiple purposes, yes there is the social side, but it is also an opportunity for those in the know to show off the best roads in their area. Perhaps thats why I was so disappointed in the route used for the 07.

If I could make one constructive comment. I would suggest that there should be 3 groups of riders each led by somebody who knows the route. That way those who want a hoon can get one, those that want a bimble can admire the scenery, and those that are a tad nervous can find their way by the trail of destruction marked by the first group.

That way we do not hit the fuel station en mass. those burning the adrenaline can grab all the food they need and get out before the next group get in etc.

Also with fuel, you fill up, you push your bike out the way and then go to pay. or buddy system whereby several bikes fill up. one pays and sort it out between you away from the pumps. Far quicker.

Last edited by timwilky; 07-04-09 at 12:29 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 02:34 PM   #508
Baph

Edited out of respect for the efforts Messie is putting in over the AR.

Last edited by Baph; 07-04-09 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-04-09, 02:41 PM   #509
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
OK I have stayed out of all this, but might as well now toss my two penneth worth in.

Some of will be coming a fair old distance, by the time we get there we need to be able to

Pitch tent
grab a bite to eat
down a few beers

Next day we need to get a decent bite to eat for breakfast, and fill up. some can be eating whilst others fill up and then others who have eaten can fill up etc. In other words the ride out should start with everyone on full tanks and bellies.

Those of a delicate disposition stop reading here. I happen to have a medical problem, and will not be going anywhere for upto an hour after I have got up. So please let me in first for breakfast and keep one trap free.

Personally I would have aimed for about 100 mile for first stop, the ride out is not spirited riding and even the most thirsty of bikes should be capable of that. Then a 45min/1 hour break whilst the nicotine heads get their fix, everyone fills up again, troughs out and then another 50-75 miles to get everyone back to base to hit showers, beer, and food etc.

I too think there is probably a stop too much and not enough distance between.

I view the AR has multiple purposes, yes there is the social side, but it is also an opportunity for those in the know to show off the best roads in their area. Perhaps thats why I was so disappointed in the route used for the 07.

If I could make one constructive comment. I would suggest that there should be 3 groups of riders each led by somebody who knows the route. That way those who want a hoon can get one, those that want a bimble can admire the scenery, and those that are a tad nervous can find their way by the trail of destruction marked by the first group.

That way we do not hit the fuel station en mass. those burning the adrenaline can grab all the food they need and get out before the next group get in etc.

Also with fuel, you fill up, you push your bike out the way and then go to pay. or buddy system whereby several bikes fill up. one pays and sort it out between you away from the pumps. Far quicker.
Sounds like an excellent plan - why don't you use it for AR10?

The route is sorted ta, no need for any more constructive suggestions
Old 07-04-09, 03:59 PM   #510
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I'm not going, already said so.
Theres a lot of reasons for not going, but one of them is the fact that 'no offense to the people involved' but I just don't like bloody Essex, no matter how much its buttered up, its not attractive to me, .
just out of intrest why did we not have the usual vote as to where to hold it, so that it was up to the people of the org to decide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
, I just had to get it off my chest.
mmmmmmmm chest