SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-04-21, 04:15 PM   #5171
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Commuted on Tracer past two days
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-21, 09:04 PM   #5172
svenrico

Saw a 'mature' biker having trouble kick starting his classic Velocette (could have been a Thruxton ) in Stokesley today. He eventually got it started but as I was watching I noticed he had a metal plate on his fly screen stamped with the slogan ' Adventure before dementia ' - I want one for my bike .
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-21, 07:03 AM   #5173
Craig380
Mega Poster

Never had the pleasure of trying to start a big Velo single but it does look like a fickle procedure. Also the kickstart lever is very short which doesn't give much mechanical advantage.

One of my sis' exes had an ill-tempered Commando 850 in high-compression spec. On compression, I could stand on the kickstarter and it would hold my 10-stone weight. It would kick-back like a mule if the cold-start procedure wasn't followed to the letter, and if it hadn't fired by the third kick, he used to have to wait a minute before trying again.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 01:06 PM   #5174
CheGuevara

SOTD for me... These turned up:

(GOTD for me was my Mrs getting to the front door first and spotting them )

Last edited by CheGuevara; 15-04-21 at 01:12 PM.
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 03:06 PM   #5175
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Never had the pleasure of trying to start a big Velo single but it does look like a fickle procedure. Also the kickstart lever is very short which doesn't give much mechanical advantage.

One of my sis' exes had an ill-tempered Commando 850 in high-compression spec. On compression, I could stand on the kickstarter and it would hold my 10-stone weight. It would kick-back like a mule if the cold-start procedure wasn't followed to the letter, and if it hadn't fired by the third kick, he used to have to wait a minute before trying again.
Big singles the very devil to kickstart, bikes like BSA Gold Star, Velocette Venom, etc. Reason they had valve lifters and ignition retard levers.

A few weeks ago saw 3 people trying to bump start a fairly new Royal Enfield 500 ( flat battery ) even in second and third the back wheel skidded when clutch let out, even though bloke was in the saddle.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 15-04-21 at 03:09 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 07:34 PM   #5176
garynortheast
Mega Poster

SotD was riding over to Shrewsbury and collecting Eleri, one of my daughters, heading over to Fat Rabbit in Oswestry for a very tasty vegan lunch, calling into the computer shop there which I do occasional jobs for, and mooching around Booka, the lovely independent bookshop.

Then took the scenic route back to Shrewsbury via Ellesmere and the A528. Never ridden along the A528 before, but I will certainly be riding it again!

Finally back from Shrewsbury to home here in Llandysul on the B4386 through Worthen, Marton, and Montgomery.

Lovely roads in great weather.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 10:14 PM   #5177
chris8886
Mega Poster

Bought myself an NWS stand off 'fleabay' (on this occasion the guy was a very decent bloke), which turned up today and have managed to put it together and use it properly on my Daytona. It's going to make the simple jobs such as lubing the chain sooooo much easier. Cost me a little more than I would have liked, but I know it will work with all my future bikes, so ultimately it will be worth it
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-21, 07:18 AM   #5178
DJ123
Mega Poster

Bike trip weekend. It will be good to be out and about again and escaping the 4 walls at home.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-21, 07:28 AM   #5179
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post

Then took the scenic route back to Shrewsbury via Ellesmere and the A528. Never ridden along the A528 before, but I will certainly be riding it again!

I can agree with that. It was one of my long way home routes when I worked at Oswestry

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 16-04-21, 08:59 AM   #5180
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I can agree with that. It was one of my long way home routes when I worked at Oswestry
Don't know how I've missed this road in the past John. It was almost completely traffic free all the way to Harmer Hill and the B5476.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote