SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-08-21, 08:37 AM   #5411
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Thanks Dave, it does appear to be a cluster **** of a mine field. I hope I pick the right path.
But even so, I can't stay here much longer, it's just not a great environment any more. Too much bull**** to deal with.

Which is a shame, as family gatherings will be screwed for the foreseeable.
Old 20-08-21, 09:49 AM   #5412
Bibio
Mega Poster

the "trades" is hard work but can be rewarding. i know a lot of people in the trades but only a few of them make real money. you have to be inelegant, good at your job and more importantly fast at your work if you want to make £100k (walk out with around £60ish,k) a year that equates to about £30hr. if you work for someone then your about £15-20hr if your good.

at the moment there is a glut of work as there is backlog but when that dries up its dog eat dog again.

if you cant handle office politics or getting the pish taken or hot headed bosses then dont work in the trades on site.............. you will wish you were back in an office.

you then have startup costs... tools aint cheap.

the easiest trade with the least initial outlay is painting and decorating and tiling. dont even think about being a plasterer or brickie, its back breaking work.

joiner is middle of the road harness but high initial outlay for tools.

sparks and plumbers i would say are more difficult jobs to do as it involves a lot of mucking about under floorboards and chasing walls etc.etc. low to middle outlay for tools.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-21, 09:58 AM   #5413
Luckypants
Mega Poster

If trades expect to make £100K, no wonder we cannot afford them on 'basic' wages! Christ I thought I'm well paid, but clearly in the wrong job.

I think my brother is hiding a lot of income as a sparks too if he's meant to be making that kind of brass.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-21, 09:36 AM   #5414
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
If trades expect to make £100K, no wonder we cannot afford them on 'basic' wages! Christ I thought I'm well paid, but clearly in the wrong job.

I think my brother is hiding a lot of income as a sparks too if he's meant to be making that kind of brass.
put it this way i have just had my back bedroom 3.5x3.5x2.4mt sound proofed and would have cost £3k just for the joiner but that price would have included the plasterer at £500 but not the spark £100-200 for extra sockets and plumber £150-200 to move two radiators. if you cant paint then you add in a painter at £200-400. mates rates are nowhere near that
Old 21-08-21, 10:13 AM   #5415
redtrummy

What was used for the sound proofing Bibio?
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-21, 10:26 AM   #5416
Bibio
Mega Poster

just coz i can... lol.. its the highest insulation rating there is so i thought why not when it was only £100 more than the crap stuff. sound proofing is the mates main business.

no more hearing people snoring
Old 21-08-21, 11:18 AM   #5417
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
That's fair, at least they've recognised a change done amicably will be positive for all -Good luck! Keep us updated, I'm thinking of doing similar - years in an office has made me sick of the miserable politics, screwed my eyes, screwed my back (which may get more screwed doing a more hands on job).

If you're looking at electricianing - research the course very carefully, from what I've read some of the short express courses can be a waste of time and I think most need accompaniment with onsite experience that can be hard to find pre-qual

Hope you never get to do 'house bashing' ( rewiring houses ) the most frustrating job ever, there is no structure to house wiring and bashing channels in walls and ripping up floors to get to old wiring that is run willy-nilly all over the place is not pleasant or easy. Working if lofts in the summer will remind you of that time you went to Egypt in July.....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-21, 06:27 PM   #5418
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Test riding electric bicycles - what a hoot. Lady Poppy and I went to the only bicycle shop left in central(ish) High Wycombe as they are agents for Volt. Admin John has one as I recall. Adam steered us towards a brand he rated but when I had a butchers at one recently the ergo's where not right for an old fart like me, which was a shame as they looked more like a normal bike and the stealth aspect appealed to me a lot.

So we took a couple of Volts out - one with a hub motor and the other with a crank jobbie. We swapped over after a bit to try the other and could not really feel much difference between them, so it was again down to ergo's. Flippin' expensive and it looks like we'll have to wait until early next year for delivery to the local shop we went to but it will get us out and about a lot more, and you still have to pedal quite a bit so it's still good for us. Cycling straight up one of Wycombe's many hills as if there was a whopping great tailwind helping you was surreal.
Old 22-08-21, 07:55 AM   #5419
Seeker
Mega Poster

I heard back from my MP! After 100+ emails I finally get a response...

"As I was reaching for the delete button, which is my normal action when your name appears in the inbox"
...a quote from my Member of Parliament, Martin Vickers. 21 Aug 2021

I was pointing out that the pictures coming out from the House of Commons, which is back in packed session, showed that most of the opposition members wearing masks but few of the Conservative members doing the same despite it being a Government recommendation.

He sent me a picture of himself wearing a mask in the same session so I've sent him a gold star (actually a promised "Levelling Up" gold star that he'll get later)
Old 23-08-21, 05:36 PM   #5420
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I heard back from my MP! After 100+ emails I finally get a response...

"As I was reaching for the delete button, which is my normal action when your name appears in the inbox"
...a quote from my Member of Parliament, Martin Vickers. 21 Aug 2021

I was pointing out that the pictures coming out from the House of Commons, which is back in packed session, showed that most of the opposition members wearing masks but few of the Conservative members doing the same despite it being a Government recommendation.

He sent me a picture of himself wearing a mask in the same session so I've sent him a gold star (actually a promised "Levelling Up" gold star that he'll get later)

The opposition wearing masks because they do not want to be recognized as belonging to Labour or the other rabble parties. I found it pretty useless to email an MP, a proper letter normally gets a better response - it shows you have taken a bit of trouble, and invariably get a letter back. My guess would be your MP has a spam filter set up with your name on it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote