SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-09-10, 02:01 PM   #561
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Yup, should have gone to Aldi.....but nevermind. I have a very good thin flourescent waterproof jacket that is also breathable. As wearing it already but with thin layer. So on top will just add more base layers.

But for the bottom half I am currently wearing padded shorts. May just add leggins to that and if legs get wet they get wet.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-10, 05:00 PM   #562
embee
Mega Poster

Slight tangent, but anyone watch Ride of my life... on Beeb2 last night. Good prog for anyone interested in bicycles.
Old 17-09-10, 07:42 PM   #563
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Slight tangent, but anyone watch Ride of my life... on Beeb2 last night. Good prog for anyone interested in bicycles.
No, but I've seen it before, good program

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-10, 08:56 PM   #564
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Bought a load of it, one of their long sleeved jerseys, winter riding jacket and the thermal undies. Will certainly do me for the winter, well happy at that price.
Cool, well warm actually For the money their stuff is ok
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-10, 07:12 PM   #565
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post
Quick Q that I was wanting to ask. Over winter, when it is cold and wet, what do peeps tend to wear? Only ask as I was thinking of just wearing a pair of waterproof trousers I have, but then thinking about it, they are likely to snag in the chain.

Is there such thing as a set of full length waterproof trousers which are the tightness of say a pair of leggings?
In the worst of last winter I was wearing the following for my (7.5 mile each way) commute:
Body Top: Short sleeve base layer T, long sleeve mid layer, fleece gilet and windproof or gore-tex outer shell depending on actual weather conditions. Waterproof ski gloves for hands, 'cos I loathe cold and/or wet hands.
Body Lower: 3/4 length thermal bib tights (with double layer extra protection for the knees) under full length running leggings, neoprene overshoes - may look weird but great for avoiding frozen toes!
To combast the wind chill, I also wear a thin neck tube under my helmet - around my head to cover forehead and ears. ( To protect my face, I have occasionally worn a thin balaclava as well, but only on the odd few occasions when it's been well below freezing.)

That's about it - if you pedal at pace it's surprising how much heat you generate and how little you clothing need.

I will mix and match layers according to temperature. I've worn waterproof overtrousers (just cheap overtrousers in my case) only two or three times in the last 3+ years of cycle commuting, in the most torrential downpours - although waterproof cycling trousers do exist to buy, I find it's easier to keep spinning and just get damp as I have shower facilities at each end of the ride. Also, even thought it's gore-tex, my waterproof jacket tends to stay partially unzipped to minimise condensation issues, unless it's really tipping it down.

My experience is that the cold is the bigger enemy (especially with windchill) than the wet.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-10, 05:24 PM   #566
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Well, I started the 14 Killer Hills today, but didn't finish

Made it to the half way point though, still 30.35 miles and 1154m total ascent off-road

SPDs performed beautifully, tightened them down before I started so they were as stock and only had one moment, never fell over

7 hills next year I think...

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-10, 06:51 PM   #567
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Made it to the half way point though, still 30.35 miles and 1154m total ascent off-road
Well done fella - great effort. Is that your first event?

I'm off to Tenby next for The Wales Sportive - doing the 80-and-a-bit miler. Not sure how much climbing there will be, hopefully not too much as I'm not as fit as I was at the beginning of June for the Dragon Ride
Old 19-09-10, 06:57 PM   #568
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Well done fella - great effort. Is that your first event?
Yep, first event ever but certainly not going to be the last, just need a bit more fitness before I attack something like the 14 hills!! Dead chuffed I made it as far as I did, even if I did have to walk the last major climb and then chant the "1, 2, 3, 4, I love Marine Corps" to get me up the final gentle slope before the huge descent into Freshwater... Managed a new Vmax off-road as well, 32.5 is bloody fast when you're squinting so hard into the prevailing wind you can't see the jumps coming. So yeah, great fun...

80 miles sounds epic though, no way could I make it that far over the kind of terrain we had today, the checkpoints were deliberately arranged so you had to take the most ridiculous climbs
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...

Last edited by the_lone_wolf; 19-09-10 at 06:58 PM.
Old 19-09-10, 07:16 PM   #569
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
80 miles sounds epic though, no way could I make it that far over the kind of terrain we had today, the checkpoints were deliberately arranged so you had to take the most ridiculous climbs
It's a fair way, but all on roads and on a road-bike so should be doable. Sounded easy when me and mate booked our places

Did the Dragon on 6th June and then 240-odd miles in a weekend (Fri afternoon to Monday afternoon) at the end of that month. Some big hills in that around the coast of Pembs, inc a 75-mile day from Tenby to The Gower. Hoping that this will be easier.

Your 30-odd miler sounds far tougher
Old 19-09-10, 07:19 PM   #570
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
It's a fair way, but all on roads and on a road-bike so should be doable. Sounded easy when me and mate booked our places
Ah, me being a spanner there, failed to click the link and assumed it was an off-road event

Blame the tiredness, I could put my head down and fall asleep now, felt like it since ~19:00
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...