SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-03-22, 11:41 AM   #5741
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Has anyone noticed the surfeit of irony this last couple of weeks?

Putin wanted a weakened NATO but his actions look like they may cause the biggest build up of NATO armament (and possibly expansion) since the Cold War.

Nadine Dorries wants to destroy/defund the BBC yet stands up in the Commons, almost tearfully, saying how great their Ukraine coverage is.

Priti Patel visits Poland to push her (admittedly less than generous) plan to welcome Ukrainian refugees having spent the last couple of years threatening to sink/imprison any refugee in the Channel.

The Conservabribe Party, having been the recipient of Russian oligarch money for years, have now discovered it's a "bad thing" and it must be stopped (albeit slowly).
(previous funds will not be returned, read T&C)

There's a Confucius quote (actually a curse):
"may you live in interesting times"

I think this period qualifies.
Old 05-03-22, 02:02 PM   #5742
DJ123
Mega Poster

Like with a lot of things, it is easy saying the words and taking the actions when you're removed from the situation/are at arms length. It's very different when you're confronted with the situation and it's right in front of you. I only hope this humility & humanitarian approach is long lasting, and for the good of those who are helped by it. And simply not for their own reputations.

The NATO situation was inevitable, and may be Putin is surprised by their response and how many allies are rallying behind it. Along with the extra countries now wanting to be a part of it, he has actually made it stronger.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 02:39 PM   #5743
redtrummy

I thought that was very eloquently put Seeker. I did have a wry smile when I read it.
redtrummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 10:13 PM   #5744
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Has anyone noticed the surfeit of irony this last couple of weeks?

Putin wanted a weakened NATO but his actions look like they may cause the biggest build up of NATO armament (and possibly expansion) since the Cold War.

Nadine Dorries wants to destroy/defund the BBC yet stands up in the Commons, almost tearfully, saying how great their Ukraine coverage is.

Priti Patel visits Poland to push her (admittedly less than generous) plan to welcome Ukrainian refugees having spent the last couple of years threatening to sink/imprison any refugee in the Channel.

The Conservabribe Party, having been the recipient of Russian oligarch money for years, have now discovered it's a "bad thing" and it must be stopped (albeit slowly).
(previous funds will not be returned, read T&C)

There's a Confucius quote (actually a curse):
"may you live in interesting times"

I think this period qualifies.
It is at arms length physically at the moment but Putin's actions are threatening the whole world with the possibility of things escalating into nuclear war.
Nato can't intervene but where is the United Nations, shouldn't they be able to try and enforce a no fly zone.
Let's hope the truth of what is really happening in Ukraine can get through to the Russian people and they can get to see through Putin's propaganda and lies in spite of the Russian state's clampdown on the media and free speech in Russia.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 11:12 PM   #5745
embee
Mega Poster

A few people have raised the issue of the "no-fly zone", pointing out that in the past it has been the UN which imposes it, not NATO.

https://www.un.org/press/en/2011/sc10200.doc.htm

I'm not sure why this can't be done today?
Old 06-03-22, 08:06 AM   #5746
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
A few people have raised the issue of the "no-fly zone", pointing out that in the past it has been the UN which imposes it, not NATO.

https://www.un.org/press/en/2011/sc10200.doc.htm

I'm not sure why this can't be done today?
As your link states - it requires the UN Security Council to authorise it and Russia, with power of a veto, is a permanent member and holds the current presidency.

It's controversial, but the Security Council veto cannot be overriden.
Old 06-03-22, 01:32 PM   #5747
embee
Mega Poster

Ah yes, of course, I'd forgotten that bit. Thanks
Old 06-03-22, 06:27 PM   #5748
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Not today, but yesterday. Got the Street Triple out of hibernation. It's been long enough since I rode it that I was surprised by how good it is again.

Kind of a smile of the day because I've got a few decisions to make. I have a GSXR1000 hidden away that I'm looking at letting go as it's a decision between that and the Street Triple. It makes no sense having two bike so similar in purpose (fun summer riding rather than practical all year or distance).

So I'll be left with the Street Triple and the DRZ. The garage is looking emptier than it has for a long time. I do want to get something distance capable though too. I had to let the VFR go a few months back for the usual financial reasons. I'd considered looking for another but might try something different. I've now got a chance to get an amazing and fancy bike that would suit the purpose but would put me in debt again for a while, or a bike I've always fancied trying that's a bit more old school, possibly not so sensible but would do the job for now without getting me in debt again... a problem that often leads to me chopping and changing bikes too much.

First world problems and a good decision to have to make possibly?

Last edited by Adam Ef; 06-03-22 at 06:40 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 07:04 PM   #5749
garynortheast
Mega Poster

That Striple is bloody lovely!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 07:10 PM   #5750
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

It is. I've almost had to sell a couple of times now but have managed to hold onto it. Difficult as it sits under a cover for four months of the year. I've used it for longer distance journeys but it does get quite gruelling after a few hours on the motorway at high revs.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote