SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-06, 07:15 PM   #571
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Drew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Barcelona Moto GP? Oh my goodness!

And before anyone starts.....it was NOT Sete!!!!!!
Actually it was They showed the replay often enough for the whole world to be quite certain that it was
i completely agree with sd
Old 18-06-06, 07:18 PM   #572
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

** DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE RACE **

Well, what can I say ?

Yes Peter, you knew I'd be along before too long didn't you ? But you may be a bit surprised at my comments :-

Ok, the way I saw it (time & time again on Eurosport) Sete made a mistake - yep, simple as that - a MISTAKE - no dangerous or reckless manoeuvre, he just drifted right & caught his brake lever on Loris' bike causing the flip - what happened next was just an unfortunate by-product of the incident happening at the start of the race with everyone in a tight bunch.

I have to admit that my immediate reaction was "oh sh*t - we're gonna get one of those 'we regret to tell you . . .' announcements (referring to Marco) - I guess that I'm just used to seeing riders slide / bounce / roll along the tarmac into the gravel & then get up again. Whoever the Patron Saint of Motorcyclists is (I'm sure someone will enlighten me) they were DEFINATELY keeping an eye on Marco today.

Get well soon Marco, Loris & Sete.

Peter, assuming for a moment that Sete's broken collar bone (according to Eurosport) keeps him out of Assen - who do you think Ducati will draft in to replace him ?
Old 18-06-06, 07:35 PM   #573
lynw

Patron Saint of motorcyclists [and floods] is St Columbanus

Old 18-06-06, 07:49 PM   #574
Peter Henry

Well guys I have just watched the incident another 6 times! Three front on and 3 front aerial replays.

I have now eased back slightly to my ORIGINAL thought and that was Sete was to blame,but not all of the way. He did ease to the right.....but so did Loris ease to the left. (Spanish TV's pundits...both ex champions of course...Angel Nieto and Sito Pons both cited Loris as the guilty party. A touch of homophobia here?)

I am now more willing to actually say it was damned bad luck. Not sure why Super felt Sete made a mistake? He came along side his slower team mate?

Anyways not pleasant to watch and seeing poor Marco trapped between two bikes was sickening to see.

I give big credit to Pedrosa who wanted to battle on after actually falling off 3 times! But biggest credit for me goes to Hopkins who was sore enough that he had to get off his bike waiting for the restart and then went on to battle valiantly,though out punched by Fat Boy Roberts.,(Funny how on SPEEDZILLA web site, some of the Yanks are whooping and hollering saying Roberts kicked ass!FFS there was hardly anyone left standing!)

Super having watched him lap very impressively at Jerez, I think Ducati will draft in their test rider who looks very,very good (Vittoriano Guareschi)

Super...your boy Davizioso deserves a big mention for that superb over take that caused so much confusion! Saw Loccatelli knocked out of contention and Lorenzo to slip through to second! Those two are going to go all the way to the wirein the 250 class.

Old 18-06-06, 08:15 PM   #575
jenni

That was the first big crash on GP that i'd seen and at one point had to leave the room as i was so worried about marco. The fact that he wasn't moving at all scared me a lot.

a bad day for my scores (re the other thread) especially as both my riders came through the first incident unscathed, but i couldn't help a titter leaving my lips when poor dani, after falling off the first time, managing to pick it up and bump starting, promptly lay the bike in the gravel 2 seconds later

Old 18-06-06, 08:20 PM   #576
kwak zzr

them carbon brakes aint ment to be anygood until there warm.

Old 18-06-06, 08:31 PM   #577
Peter Henry

It was just like that video on the tinternet of that 748 doing the same thing wasn't it? Damn good brakes these Dukes yer know.

Jenni your right, picking a bike up or trying to bump start on dodgy ground is always going to be a struggle for Dani due to his size. All the mums love him you know! :P

Old 18-06-06, 10:40 PM   #578
Jelster

Sorry Pete, Sete came from behind, he can see who's going where. I mean, he must have ridden into the other bike to compress his brake lever......

Anyways, I still say Rossi is gonna win it, and with 2 races to spare.

Old 19-06-06, 04:49 AM   #579
PeterM

One hell of a start that's for sure.

Impressed with the closeness of both the 125 & 250 races and disappointed to see Casey drop out from 2nd. Strange crash that, not sure if he touched a peg down or something to unload the rear, causing it to slide. Glad Nicky wasn't any closer though!

Old 19-06-06, 06:26 AM   #580
Peter Henry

Jelster wrote:

Quote:
he must have ridden into the other bike to compress his brake lever......
That is not completely true Steve is it? To say he must have ridden in to the bike is a flawed statement, as if that is the only factor that would have created the incident simply not true. Made contact with or that the other bike made contact with him sure that is more accuarate.

Two bikes moving ever so slightly toward each other with one travelling faster than the other does have the potential to create what we saw.

Yes Sete was travelling from behind and closing in on Loris but by the time Loris moved over as well, there was no get out for Sete. Simple as that. When Sete started his approach the hole was there,it was just damned unlucky for all that got caught up in the crash that it did not stay that way. Not a lot one can do in the middle of a group at close to 200kmh.

Could this see the introduction of Motocross style protectors for the handlebar levers on race bikes?

Rossi has to be your main contender, but I'm not giving up onthe others just yet.

Closed Thread