SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-10-10, 03:57 PM   #51
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Inline 4s

Character... you can't really describe it... it's just there?
Modern inline fours just don't have it.

I like the snuffling and snorting the SV makes with an open airbox, the shove you get from nowt that goes right to the redline (mine does anyway!).. and especially the resonance that 10000rpm worth of M4 applies to your very spleen!

Modern ones feel a bit soulless and stifled despite having way more power, the thou's are just completely brutal and you'll hardly ever see the top end.
And 600s, I haven't found one yet where the power felt as easily accessible. And I've chased a lot of them through the twisties and been catching their "I've got plenty of torque" motor on the way out of corners

Oily GSXR engines are where it's at, they've got that bit more poke than the SV (like double, if you want to tune one) but still have that rattly snorty broken feeling so you're not bored riding this anodyne turbine like thing.
Old 12-10-10, 03:58 PM   #52
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedplay View Post
Seems much smoother and when I took a pillion, much better for them too.
Hey don't blame the engine configuration for your lack of throttle control
Old 12-10-10, 04:00 PM   #53
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Hey don't blame the engine configuration for your lack of throttle control

Its not lack of throttle control, its some bird hanging onto the back that I didnt really want there....
Old 12-10-10, 04:48 PM   #54
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
I can't say I agree, unfortunately - in my experience 8k had the SV tailing away
Yup thats how it felt to me as well, both on my curvey and the pointies I've ridden.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 05:00 PM   #55
-Ralph-

Strange, my SV starts pulling hardest at about 7.5k and carries onto pretty much to 500 revs off the redline. According to the dyno muffles posted above, peak power is at about 8750, and tails off slightly, but it's more of a flatten out than a tail off. You can see the step change at 7.5k in the graph too. At 8750 it's making 72.5 and at 10500 it's still making 69.5, then it will bounce off the rev limiter, it's only a 3 bhp drop. If the bike is tailing away noticeably at 8k there is something wrong with it (or it's restricted). Obviously as speed increases, wind resistance does too, whilst power drops slightly, but that only becomes noticeable on much smaller capacity bikes.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 12-10-10 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-10-10, 05:46 PM   #56
suzukigt380paul

well theres really only answer to the v twin and il4 get a v4,its got the character of a v twin and the power of a il4 with the higher rev limitof a il4,something around 781cc with honda on the tank
Old 12-10-10, 05:57 PM   #57
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Strange, my SV starts pulling hardest at about 7.5k and carries onto pretty much to 500 revs off the redline. According to the dyno muffles posted above, peak power is at about 8750, and tails off slightly, but it's more of a flatten out than a tail off.
I'm quite prepared to admit mine was a little tired with 36K on the clock, but thats still how it felt, I never really found any useful benefit about revving all the way to the limiter, used to change at 9K ish, but was definately on its way to feeling flat in terms of performance at that point.

Liz's pointy seems to feel like it rev's a bit harder for longer from memory but its so long since I've ridden that my memory is hazy.

Thing is to compare the two.

8K in 6th on the SV, compared with 8K in 6th gear on the GSXR, the GSXR feels hell of a lot more eager at that point than the SV ever did. Just surges forward whereas the SV to me in comparision feels slow.

I think this is more to do with the fact that the GSXR is twice the BHP of the SV. Rather than comparing IL4 with a twin.

Old 12-10-10, 06:01 PM   #58
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

On reflection I think I just like revving the cr*p out of things.

My 16v Golf GTI, required rev's to make it go and I loved driving that. My GSXR is the same, its better with revs' to !

Liz's Ducati is a strange mix, has alot of low down punch, I cant match it on 6th gear roll on even though its giving away 25 - 30bhp. But it likes being rev'd to. Has a power band and rev's very freely and sweetly to the redline once past 6000rpm it really comes alive.

Old 12-10-10, 06:09 PM   #59
hardhat_harry

Power falls away at 9500 on my graph

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
I'm guessing you meant to reply to my post?

I can't say I agree, unfortunately - in my experience 8k had the SV tailing away, the graphs seems to show this too http://image.sportrider.com/f/905452...orque_copy.jpg

My (former) '07 GSX-R600, and my '02 CBR600 would beat the SV clearly at that rev range. That's not even accounting for the fact 8k is mid-range on a GSX-R.
Old 12-10-10, 06:26 PM   #60
mikerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Strange, my SV starts pulling hardest at about 7.5k and carries onto pretty much to 500 revs off the redline.
Mine too, we obviously have good ones

Peak torque occurs at around 7500RPM, so 500RPM later it's hardly dropped and still pulling very strong.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote