SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-01-06, 02:51 PM   #51
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.d.
What if there's no kids? No point in buying a house
I disagree. I have no kids and when I bought my place I was single. Its an investment and there is nothing like the feeling of coming home to your home. When I was renting, I was always aware its kinda temporary and its not really my place, just somewhere I happen to be.
Old 27-01-06, 02:54 PM   #52
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutkins
£150,000? .... If only they were that cheap down here.
I agree! Im in york, and my "not so nice" mid terraced 2 up 2 down in a really crappy area of town is already worth £145k.

My folks detached house in the suburbs is worth in excess of £1/2 Mil.

Old 27-01-06, 02:56 PM   #53
Gnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyerkneedown
Quote:
I agree! Im in york, and my "not so nice" mid terraced 2 up 2 down in a really crappy area of town is already worth £145k.

145k? - how much did you pay for it?
Old 27-01-06, 03:00 PM   #54
diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.d.
What if there's no kids? No point in buying a house
I disagree. I have no kids and when I bought my place I was single. Its an investment and there is nothing like the feeling of coming home to your home. When I was renting, I was always aware its kinda temporary and its not really my place, just somewhere I happen to be.
Yeah but once you buy it's so much hassle to move, i'm a bit of a nomad i've lived in 6 different houses in the last 2 and a half years. It would cost me a fortune to pay all the fees if it was my own place.
Old 27-01-06, 03:01 PM   #55
timwilky
Mega Poster

I bought my house for £23,000 in 1985. and took a morgage of £20,000. It was a killer, twice my salary at the time. Interest rates suddenly shot up to about 15%. I increased my payments and struggled/starved even stayed sober, and never reduced them as the rates dropped. Last year I made my final payment 5 years early.

I do despair for the kids today. I have 3 children and doubt that the younger two will ever have the ability to buy. My eldest is studying to become a barrister so hopefully will be considerably richer than me.

It is a chain, and the supply/demand balance can only be maintained if those at the end of the chain can afford to buy. Therefore the overheated market will have to collapse.

I have looked to relocate and to be honest cannot afford it. I guess my little 3 bed semi would sell for about £190,000 What can I afford to buy for that down south. So these inflated prices do nothing for mobility of labour either.
Old 27-01-06, 03:03 PM   #56
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnan
Quote:
Originally Posted by getyerkneedown
Quote:

145k? - how much did you pay for it?
I didnt. Its actually owned by my parents, but i "rent" it off them for a "preferential rate", and rent out the other bedroom to make some extra cash.

Its in their will that when it dies its mine, but in order to avoid the dreaded death tax, im trying to persuade them to sign it over prior to that.

Its my retirement fund basically. I can sell it. Remortgage it and attempt to buy another property and thus start building a portfolio up, or i can just rent it out on an AST.. will provide a nice regular source of income, plus the 9-5 job.
Old 27-01-06, 03:04 PM   #57
Peter Henry

Gnan..They neeed to make inheritance tax provision otherwise yes sir tax to pay. they could make it as a gift to you (but still live there) and as long as they survive 7 years(Ed?) after making the gift then no tax payabale.

There can be some issues about them having a benefit from the gift...free rent...you let them live there...this can oft be covered by a nominal rent being paid by them! Mad isnt it?

Your man Sythree could draw the papers up for you Im sure!

Please remember my knowledge is a bit sketchy as been out of UK now fo almost 6 years.
Old 27-01-06, 03:19 PM   #58
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Gnan..They neeed to make inheritance tax provision otherwise yes sir tax to pay. they could make it as a gift to you (but still live there) and as long as they survive 7 years(Ed?) after making the gift then no tax payabale.

There can be some issues about them having a benefit from the gift...free rent...you let them live there...this can oft be covered by a nominal rent being paid by them! Mad isnt it?

Your man Sythree could draw the papers up for you Im sure!

Please remember my knowledge is a bit sketchy as been out of UK now fo almost 6 years.
Be careful doing this and get expert advice - otherwise you could end up worse off:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3669347.stm
Old 27-01-06, 03:28 PM   #59
Gnan

it's within the IHT threshold anyway so i'm ok

it's all rather mercenary this isn't it
Old 27-01-06, 03:28 PM   #60
inevitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
I bought my house for £23,000 in 1985. and took a morgage of £20,000. It was a killer, twice my salary at the time. Interest rates suddenly shot up to about 15%. I increased my payments and struggled/starved even stayed sober, and never reduced them as the rates dropped. Last year I made my final payment 5 years early.

Same thing happened to a mate of mine, he'd only just taken his mortgage when the interest rates rocketed, mortgage payment nearly quadrupled. He posted the keys of the house to the mortgagor and never paid anything more.

Never heard anything back.