SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-09-15, 05:17 PM   #51
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: best front fork springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzboutbikes View Post
I didn't notice that 15w oil makes the suspension harsh I felt it help to combat the pogo effect, oil level or air gap has more effect in my opinion, I use 17.5w oil for trackdays which seems spot on and stops the bike going into a second down stroke after being compressed which is what your looking for.
thats ok on a smooth track but start hitting potholes and its a different kettle of fish. the SV has very week check valves that leak like a sieve thats why you find heavier oil better but at the expense of fast compression. oil level only works on the last 1/3 of the stroke and on damper rod suspension its not that aggressive.

what 17.5w oil did you use?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-15, 06:02 PM   #52
wideguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo82 View Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread but was reading about upgrading my front fork springs. I'm 105kg and have been saying that cornering makes me nervous on my sv650s k3. My friend had a go on it yesterday and I tried out his daytona 675 and it is worlds apart. He said the forks feel awful like either the oil in them has deteriorated badly or something like that. I then started reading about the front suspension on here and it seems I'm probably far to heavy for stock front springs and would be better suited to 9s n/mm does anyone here have any knowledge in whether I should change the oil and springs or just change the oil to a heavier viscosity?
As you've heard here, get springs to suit your weight. It's worth it and you have to take them out to replace the oil anyway.
Since your bike is 12 years old, there's a possibility there isn't much oil left in the forks, which will certainly make the damping poor.
The air trapped above the oil in your forks is a progressive spring, so you can get additional spring by adding more oil, but too much will reduce the travel.

Last edited by wideguy; 03-09-15 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 06:11 PM   #53
nutzboutbikes

I used 15w oil in the forks when the bike was a road warrior and found it to be ok, as with most things it personal preference but will do no harm, I have seen a lot of people say that 20w is ok for a track bike however I found it a little on the slow side.

I use Rock oil and aimed to get a cst number of around 60.
Old 03-09-15, 08:09 PM   #54
wideguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzboutbikes View Post
I used 15w oil in the forks when the bike was a road warrior and found it to be ok, as with most things it personal preference but will do no harm, I have seen a lot of people say that 20w is ok for a track bike however I found it a little on the slow side.

I use Rock oil and aimed to get a cst number of around 60.
I prefer suspensions on the firm side for my weight. I'm pretty good at staying loose on the bike if the road turns bumpy, and it's great when the road is smooth.