SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-11-07, 09:26 PM   #51
iaincX04

Default Re: Chain & Sprocket replacement

Hi all

Many thanks for the hints & tips to a newbie rider who needed to get a new chain & sprockets fitted.

I ended up ordering a Kit from Stealth products http://www.stealthproducts.co.uk/ who were recommended on here.

Ended up with Renthal Sprockets, and new X-Ring chain for £86. Got it fitted for £50 at my local Suzuki dealer (who took about 15 mins to do it start to finish!).

Thanks again for all the input, am well chuffed that I managed to save £50 off the original dealer price for a standard O ring replacement.

Ta

Iain
Old 27-11-07, 10:17 AM   #52
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mths View Post
I'd love to know what chain riveters proper workshops (in dealers or elsewhere) use. The one I have (borrowed) cost it's owner a fair whack from his local dealer. Having done just 2 chains with it I'm not sure it'll do many more. It bends when you rivet up the pin.
Morning all.

I have 3 different riveters. The official DID one, the official RK one. These cost around £85 each.
I also have a 'Whale' riveter which is the one I use mostly these days, as I tend to supply Tsubaki chain which have solid tipped pins.
The 'Whale' costs around £55, is very robust, & can be used on CLF type rivet links, (these are the ones with a dimple in the tip of the pin).
However, using the 'Whale' on a chain when it's fitted to the bike is a little tricky, & requires practise to get it right. It can also be a bit painful as you have to hold the riveter whilst striking it with a hammer, & you can scrape your knuckles on the rear wheel if you're not careful. (ask biker Billy).

It's not a problem for me cos I'M HARD!!

Cheers.
Old 27-11-07, 10:19 AM   #53
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post

It's not a problem for me cos I'M HARD!!

Cheers.
Pfft Southerners.

Do you ever use the technique of putting a big hammer behind and hitting with a small hammer from the outside of the chain?
Old 27-11-07, 10:43 AM   #54
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Pfft Southerners.

Do you ever use the technique of putting a big hammer behind and hitting with a small hammer from the outside of the chain?
Enough of that Northern Monkeyboy!!

I used to use the time honoured two hammer technique to good effect, back when God was a boy, & I had hair!
When using the Whale riveter there's not enough room on most bikes to get anything behind to support the Whale when clouting it, & there's always the danger of something slipping a damaging the wheel or swinging arm. So I prefer to let my MANSIZE southern hands to do their stuff.

When using the Whale it really helps to have the chain tight, & the bike in gear. I find around 3 or 4 sharp taps with a 2lb club hammer to be enough.

Cheers.
Old 27-11-07, 12:31 PM   #55
Biker Biker

Thanks for all the useful tips..... I've printed off the linky info, ticked all the boxes for the tools, picked up an Xring and standard sprocket (£124 in total)
I've bought a riveter/ chain splitter thingy (£24 thanks to Mr Honda).

Ready to rock and roll