SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-07-06, 07:17 PM   #51
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
you cant reasonably argue that violating a right of way is.
There's the point isn't it, early morning no other traffic* - no-ones right of way was compromised.
Why don't we have traffic lights that flash yellow at off peak times, (as many foreign countries do), this turns the junction into a 'no-one has right of way - all give way', then the junction can be used as needed.

This cyclist: May or may not have been a resonable thing to do in the circumstances, we can't judge at a distance, but if there truly was no other traffic and visibility allows the junction to be crossed then why not? This is the sort of issue that requires discretion and reason to be applied, sadly as the body responsible for that is the Police it's never going to happen though.

*If that's true of course.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-06, 07:26 PM   #52
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Why don't we have traffic lights that flash yellow at off peak times, (as many foreign countries do), this turns the junction into a 'no-one has right of way - all give way', then the junction can be used as needed.
Cos we live in a nanny state that gives us no room to use our brains and prefers us to act like automatons, sadly.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-06, 07:33 PM   #53
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Cos we live in a nanny state that gives us no room to use our brains and prefers us to act like automatons, sadly.
No, really! Well knock me down with a feather - I'd never have guessed.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-06, 07:59 PM   #54
Dicky Ticker

The HIGHWAY CODE is for the benefit of motorised,pedal and pedestrian and where applicable is used with the appropriate law THIS IS FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL so why differenciate one from another The guy jumped the lights and you and I plus he deserve to be nicked if we breach the law
What do we want? one law for cyclist which could endanger other road users,or one law that applies to all road users
Old 17-07-06, 08:20 PM   #55
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmacsv650
The HIGHWAY CODE is for the benefit of motorised,pedal and pedestrian and where applicable is used with the appropriate law THIS IS FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL so why differenciate one from another The guy jumped the lights and you and I plus he deserve to be nicked if we breach the law
What do we want? one law for cyclist which could endanger other road users,or one law that applies to all road users
Come on man.
A cyclist is not posing the same risk as a car is. Or anywhere close to.
Bikes are traveling at ~ 15 mph, and weigh about 15 kilos + rider say, with a very small profile. Cars weigh more, and have a huge profile.

You can not, in any way, say the risks to third parties are similar. They are not.
Old 18-07-06, 08:45 PM   #56
Dicky Ticker

Agreed just tell him/her not to do it infront of my truck when I have to swerve and hit an kid because of impatience,lack of consideration
Broaden the senario---what if a motorbike had been coming the other way at 100mph,they didn't see it, who is in the wrong?

I have nothing against cyclists but the things they do and get away with astound me

Example-City Rd this morning,lycra clad racing cyclist riding down the middle of the outside lane at 20-25mph holding up the traffic flow and puts his brakes on and slows when a car toots at him and then crosses to the inside and goes round a left hand turn at the lights ON RED
Old 18-07-06, 10:37 PM   #57
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Try Lisbon, its just mental and they run this system, its Lunacy to be honest it just ends up that no one gives way and they all just gun it... Portugal has the highest death rates in Europe on the roads and After my experiences of Lisbon I can understand why!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote