SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Closed Thread

Old 20-07-06, 02:23 PM   #51
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Oh get off your high horse.

There just happens to be two schools of thought here.

1) It is intollerant to block certain groups of people from hosting events

or

2) It is intollerant to let certain groups of people from hosting events that block others from attending.

Your view on which is the greater evil just happens to differ from mine.
Jordan its not me that needs the ladder here but you.

You are making weak arguments based on picking subtleties and ignoring the real arguments [staff vs public for example]. You say its discrimination but in that case then when a school hires a coach and only lets its pupils on for a school trip by your definition thats discrimination. Its also stupid. Dont bother replying as Im not wasting my energy debating semantics with you anymore.

Old 20-07-06, 02:25 PM   #52
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Quote:
Oh get off your high horse.

There just happens to be two schools of thought here.

1) It is intollerant to block certain groups of people from hosting events

or

2) It is intollerant to let certain groups of people from hosting events that block others from attending.

Your view on which is the greater evil just happens to differ from mine.
Jordan its not me that needs the ladder here but you.

You are making weak arguments based on picking subtleties and ignoring the real arguments [staff vs public for example]. You say its discrimination but in that case then when a school hires a coach and only lets its pupils on for a school trip by your definition thats discrimination. Its also stupid. Dont bother replying as Im not wasting my energy debating semantics with you anymore.
If you dont understand the difference between private and public it's probably best you dont try debating further.

Old 20-07-06, 02:37 PM   #53
pegasus
Mega Poster

seems to be a lot of uneducated people appearing on this forum recently...if this is the way the "great british" public reacts to a gathering of a group of people with a mutual understanding then you can keep it.....maybe its time i packed my cases and moved somewhere where peoples individual ideals are respected

Old 20-07-06, 02:54 PM   #54
Sudoxe

Jordan / Lyn I believe a better example may be:

HotTrax book out AT for the day, a bikers only day at alton towers. Anyone can go, as long as you have your leathers and a lid with you.

Is this discrimination against non bikers? Nope, rules of the day. Same a a fancy dress party.

Same applies to religious groups. If Jehovah Witness wants to hire the park for a day, and only allow other JW's to join, fine.

Same applies to this scenario. A private company is booking a location for a day and subletting it to another group with there own rules.

Its like turning up to a bike track day in a car. They have every right to turn you away if your not in accordance with the rules.

Dan

Old 20-07-06, 03:10 PM   #55
KrZ

OK, my view (from a non Muslim minority group). I am oriantal and I am no Muslim.
I have a few questions for those people who are afraid of talking about these issues because of the political correctness.

Question 1. If a group of you wanted to do some stuff you take for granted over here(say bathing under the sun with next to nothing on) in some very religious country who you know it’s NOT going to go down well with the locals, would you still do it? If yes, would you require the locals that appears in your sight also dress the same (strip down to minimum or nothnig)? If not, why?

Question 2. Why do people behave differently when they are on holiday (say Greece uncoverred style)? Is it because the locals have more tolerance thus leading to the lowing of moral fibre? Or is it because the amount of money weighs far heavier then anything else they’ve been tought when they were young?

Question 3. Do people feel they are on a different level and feel more superial then others if they could supress their own emotional feeling even when their own liberty being trampled upon?

Question 4. When one of your party guests comes along not wearing any cloth (religion of X), and shortly after started demanding others to strip, reason being, if you don’t, it is disrespectful to the god of X, would you A: be PC and ask all other guests to strip, or B: Get him/her a own separate room and separate him/her from the rest or C: kick him/her out of your party?

Now my own view. As a person of ethenic origion, I believe a foreigner regardless from what religion, backgroud, ethinic group should try to integrate into the local society rather then the locals try to integrate to them. It is called respect. This should not be a race issue nor a religion issue.

Why this is an important issue for me? As an immigrant, I tried my best to integrate with the society here, I work hard, I pay tax, I make contribution to the society. In fact I am almost invisible because I am part of the society (at least I believe). I fear that the extension of the tolerance displayed by some here and governemnt policy (although I admire the quality to some extent) would lead to the society reaching to a breaking point. And when that happens, guess who will be in the firing line? Not you, but people like me.

And i just realised that i have derailed the actual topic somewhat.. sry

Old 20-07-06, 03:13 PM   #56
TT Dee

Nothing to add. Lynw said it all.

*Nods respect in the lady's general direction, then wanders off to sulk because she always arrives too late for the party*

Old 20-07-06, 03:15 PM   #57
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharriso74
Both the Jewish and Muslim religions demand that slaughter is carried out with a single cut to the throat, rather than the more widespread method of stunning with a bolt into the head before slaughter.

Sorry if you're going to kill something to eat it, do it as quickly and as painlesly as possible
Ever been in a slaughterhouse? The bolt to the head is sometimes (don't know how often, I saw 2) not immediately lethal, or even slowly lethal, often it just maims the animal, and makes them impossible to manage so sometimes a second blow can't be administered for some time. The cut to the throat isn't instant, but it's still fast and extremely reliable. I'm not sure what's less humane, a fast and near-painless but sometimes very slow and painful method, or an always painful and fairly fast one...

Some halal slaughterhouses stun the animal before the slaughter, not sure how that works though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
Old 20-07-06, 03:16 PM   #58
lynw

Quote:
If you dont understand the difference between private and public it's probably best you dont try debating further.
*sigh* The public/private is irrelevant to the debate imho.

The above is precisely why its a waste of time trying to debate something with you. Resorting to comments on someones intelligence, understanding or debating skills is hardly a constructive effort is it?

Poor show Jordan. If you cant argue a point without resorting to the above type comments then its you who shouldnt be debating.

Old 20-07-06, 03:17 PM   #59
KrZ

some say the meat tasts better when the blood are drained... but i can't tell the difference.

Old 20-07-06, 03:31 PM   #60
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Quote:
*sigh* The public/private is irrelevant to the debate imho.

The above is precisely why its a waste of time trying to debate something with you. Resorting to comments on someones intelligence, understanding or debating skills is hardly a constructive effort is it?

Poor show Jordan. If you cant argue a point without resorting to the above type comments then its you who shouldnt be debating.
The public/private element isn't irrelevant given the context.

If you think it's ok to claim you have the correct point of view, and that those who don't share it are intollerant, don't complain if people question your understanding.

Closed Thread