SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-11-06, 02:01 PM   #51
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmit37
He is having this much trouble because he used Windows to burn the CD remember? The same hardware under Linux does not burn CDs with errors.
More likely cheap CD's or an old drive.

I never have any issues with DVDs or CDs. Admittedly i did with my DVD drive initially but that was a firmware issue
Nope. The ubuntu installer has a CD verification function, and it verifies fine. So it's not the cd.

Didn't have access to the cd burner last night so I tried some of the other functions on the ubuntu disc. None of them work!

Sorry, but people go on about linux being fab. I believe them, but if I can't install it then it isn't that much use is it.
John. Did you or did you not read my post re the Alternative ISO?

This one:
Quote:
Right, I have seen this before.
This is with the GUI installer right? Throw that disk away. I dont know what the Ubuntu crew are doing with this new installer.
Get the disk labeled ubuntu-6.06.1-alternate-i386.iso
Did you get this CD?

Regarding the My OS is better than your crap, what I was trying to get across was the Linux kernel is better than whatever name windows have given their kernel.
That is true. Linux is a simply better kernel. No one is going to argue that.
What I am also saying that the interface MS puts onto their kernel is very good. It allows you to use that kernel. I was trying to differentiate kernel from UI.

Formerly the user graphical user interface bolted onto the Linux kernel was weak. It is less so now. The Linux command line interface always has, and still is far superior to Window's.
Old 17-11-06, 08:41 PM   #52
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmit37
He is having this much trouble because he used Windows to burn the CD remember? The same hardware under Linux does not burn CDs with errors.
More likely cheap CD's or an old drive.

I never have any issues with DVDs or CDs. Admittedly i did with my DVD drive initially but that was a firmware issue
Nope. The ubuntu installer has a CD verification function, and it verifies fine. So it's not the cd.

Didn't have access to the cd burner last night so I tried some of the other functions on the ubuntu disc. None of them work!

Sorry, but people go on about linux being fab. I believe them, but if I can't install it then it isn't that much use is it.
John. Did you or did you not read my post re the Alternative ISO?

This one:
Quote:
Right, I have seen this before.
This is with the GUI installer right? Throw that disk away. I dont know what the Ubuntu crew are doing with this new installer.
Get the disk labeled ubuntu-6.06.1-alternate-i386.iso
Did you get this CD?
Easy tiger!

Downloading it now.
Old 17-11-06, 11:06 PM   #53
thor

I am now surfing on linux.
Old 18-11-06, 01:55 AM   #54
philipMac

Quote:
I am now surfing on linux.
Ah. Very good. I was a bit snappy there earlier. Perl wasn't behaving herself and I was hungry.

System, Administration, Syanptic;

Make sure you have all repositories open and available to you.
Pull down java, flash, mplayer (media player), perl, apache, emacs, etc.

Look through the sections, like server tools, security tools, there is so much software out there to meddle with. You can download whatever you like, and remove it later. It is a very clean and tidy system.

The advantage with doing things through synaptic, is the second they update anything, you will be offered the most recent version.

Play with the tool bars, they are very customisable. On my laptop I like to look at the cpu usage, and keep it nice and low so my fan stays off.

Edit: If you pull down Apache, figure out how to set it up, and run a web site for a while to see how everything goes, you can stick that down on your CV. This on top of everything else you know will make people interested in you, no matter what systems they run.