SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-04-08, 04:38 PM   #51
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dream SV design

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
I was riding behind a Buell that lost it`s belt drive , wasn`t a pretty sight and my mate just about kept it upright with his mrs on the back . I`ll take my chances with a good old metal chain anyday of the week . I know there is now going to be a debate about the merits and minuses of both but put it this way ........ if you see somebody get eaten by a shark , you can`t convince them that sharks are really ok and groovy kind of dudes just going about their business .
Nice example But really it makes more sense to say "If you see someone eaten by a shark, will you ever go near water again"- maybe you won't but that doesn't mean there's a shark in there Modern belts are very strong, it's a less mature technology on bikes than chains are but it's come on leaps and bounds even since the early buells. and chains do it too if neglected. You need to drop the swingarm to fit them which does make it more expensive than a chain to fit, but it shouldn't be so massive. Ah, but maybe Buells have their oil in the swingarm or the engine in the back wheel or something to complicate it I don't know what the lifespan is though, I read somewhere that the Ullyses one is now supposed to be lifetime but then Ullyseses probably do an average of 2000 miles a year

But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-08, 04:48 PM   #52
markmoto

Default Re: Dream SV design

Yeah belts have a big life span, which more than offsets the extra labour involved when getting it replaced. like i said there is bound to be more damage when a chain lets go than a belt. Ive seen some prity bad **** when a chain goes bad. Ive got nothing against chains they do there job very well when looked after but i think belts are the future you heard it here first lol.