SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-02-11, 03:32 PM   #51
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: More proof that a full service history...

All controlled by the ECU and sensors which have a habit of failing
Cant beat Easystart
Old 14-02-11, 07:53 PM   #52
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
just to be pedantic,

IIRC modern common rail diesel engines rarely use their glow plugs, my 59 plate BMW doesn't use them until its -5 and my dads VW van doesn't use them until -11
Lot of DI engines don't even have them
Old 14-02-11, 08:28 PM   #53
svtomo

not read all the posts but
1. you do realise main dealers use genuine parts, some of which are branded with the manufacturers logos (vauxhall definately use GM plugs, and im pretty certain vag groups plugs are branded. both use bosch just labelled differently
2. about the oils used, if you look in oil guide books they ALWAYS list list the most expensive OPTION, if you look on autodata there can be more than half a dozen types of oil that can be used in line with the manufacturers service schedule.
despite this i would always recommend using a trusted independant garage over a main dealer or servicing
Old 14-02-11, 08:34 PM   #54
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtomo View Post
not read all the posts but
1. you do realise main dealers use genuine parts, some of which are branded with the manufacturers logos (vauxhall definately use GM plugs, and im pretty certain vag groups plugs are branded. both use bosch just labelled differently

2. about the oils used, if you look in oil guide books they ALWAYS list list the most expensive OPTION, if you look on autodata there can be more than half a dozen types of oil that can be used in line with the manufacturers service schedule.
1. This was the original question that I asked here http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=162692, but most seem to think not. The Vectra plugs were replaced by the same dealer who should have replaced them at the 40k service, after I phoned Vauxhall customer services and complained about the breakdown. I can't remember what brand was used, but they weren't GM branded plugs. The car will be serviced again in a couple of weeks at a different dealer as I have moved house. 80,000 miles so it will be due for plugs again, I'll check.

2. It is never acceptable to use a generic semi-synthetic oil in a car that has 20,000 mile service intervals. Castrol GTX Magnatec should to be changed after 10 or 12,000 miles, and the garage does not know how many miles the car is going to do in the next year.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 14-02-11 at 08:42 PM.
Old 14-02-11, 08:52 PM   #55
svtomo

ahh, misunderstood origional complaint about the plugs, thought you meant they were gm and that would mean they were still the 1st set from factory, my mistake.
oil on the other hand, as i said if you look on autodata there a often many options of oil types that can be used in the same engine for as long as the service shedule states, and yes this often includes 5w30 semi. this information is usually from the manufactuers themselves, if it makes you happier spending more money on better oil then fair enough, but it doesnt always mean its nesseccary.
Old 14-02-11, 09:01 PM   #56
Davadvice

IME iv'e never seen staff scrimping on service parts for normal punters, as most wish to make sure they do the correct job as i did. although there was the exception.

the guy that came in with rangers songs at full volume always got special treatment. then there was the ******* who though he would moan about the slightest thing he too got special treament.
Old 14-02-11, 09:06 PM   #57
-Ralph-

Again I'll ask the new dealer. As far as I'm aware the oil for my Vectra can be different viscosities or different brands, but it HAS to conform to GM-LLA025 specification to run at the manufacturers service intervals, and again as far I am aware, there is no semi synth oil that does.
Old 14-02-11, 09:17 PM   #58
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Might be worth looking into if that GM standard is equivalent to a normal API standard.

Obviously GM will not tell you someone elses oil meets their standard.
Old 14-02-11, 09:22 PM   #59
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Might be worth looking into if that GM standard is equivalent to a normal API standard.

Obviously GM will not tell you someone elses oil meets their standard.
I'm sure there will be other standards that are very similar. VW has "VW50x", BMW call theirs "Longlife-0x", they can't be that different, but they will all be fully synth.

The other standard that rings a bell is ACEA B3/B4, but I'm not really sure what this means.

We really need someone like Embee to come along and explain the difference in shear properties between a normal oil and a "longlife" oil designed for extended service intervals, and whether a semi-synth could ever be deemed "longlife".
Old 14-02-11, 09:29 PM   #60
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I think I'm in the Minority then, well almost

VW Golf I had went to the main dealer. Never had a problem with the service or problems with the service not being done properly.

The Audi we have just had, and its been in for its service all done as I requested.

The Ducati goes to a main dealer for its service and I've posted on here before about the labour rates and the quality of service we've had.

However the pillocks at the Ford Dealership around the corner are a whole different story. I've been lied to, told things that werent true and at one point was being bullied into paying for work that didnt need doing. ( new tyre when the old one had 3mm of tread on it, replacment brakes that didnt need doing )

I'm waffling a bit, but I wander if the dealer experience is related to the brand / cost price of the car you are taking in to get work done on it.

I'm certainly from my perspective seeing a relation between price of car /manufacture badge and how the treat the customer.

The VW dealer just did what was required on the service, and then would say in 6 months time / milleage you'll need to get this done etc etc. Havent got to that stage with the Audi. But the Ducati dealer is similar. i.e It hasnt done much milleage so the air filters OK, we've just checked it and blown it out rather than replace etc etc.

As for doing it myself, yes I could I have done in the past, my times more valuable to me and I have better things to be doing on a Sunday than grubbing about in the road changing the oil in my car ! I do know what's what and I am very clear when I book the vehicle in for work on what I want done. I wander if that helps as well.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote