SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 07-07-08, 11:18 PM   #51
walkaboutandy

Default Re: Photos and videos from trackday

Were they dear?

I've been ogling some BT-016's. There are a replacement for the 014's with some new swanky multicompound construction.
Old 08-07-08, 10:48 AM   #52
Warthog

The thing is, the Z6s are sports touring tyres, so it's not like they are perfectly suited to the track. Aftermarket rearsets are indeed higher and more set back, to stop you scraping your pegs so early. Then the next question you come across is where the end of your tyres are. My Z6s were £175 a pair fitted and balanced, and have done about 5500 miles so far.
Old 08-07-08, 10:48 AM   #53
Warthog

Oh and nice lean angle for your mate! He must have had some blistering lap times.
Old 08-07-08, 10:57 AM   #54
DanAbnormal

Any modern tyre will be able to cope with the odd trackday though. I doubt that anyone of us would really push the tyre to the edge of it's performance anyway (mistakes notwithstanding). Z6's fine for trackdays mate, don't waste money on the latest greatest soft compound. I usually get 12'000 miles from any sports touring tyre and 8000 from a sporty compound. Front seems to last forever but I change at about 14k miles just to be safe. I really fancy a trackday now but have the niggling worry of the bike being my only way to work. Will probably wait until I get some other means of transport. I don't want to 'have' to take it easy.
Old 08-07-08, 12:07 PM   #55
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAbnormal View Post
Any modern tyre will be able to cope with the odd trackday though. I doubt that anyone of us would really push the tyre to the edge of it's performance anyway (mistakes notwithstanding). Z6's fine for trackdays mate, don't waste money on the latest greatest soft compound. I usually get 12'000 miles from any sports touring tyre and 8000 from a sporty compound. Front seems to last forever but I change at about 14k miles just to be safe. I really fancy a trackday now but have the niggling worry of the bike being my only way to work. Will probably wait until I get some other means of transport. I don't want to 'have' to take it easy.
That was my concern when I took my new bike on the track. Add to that the fact that I had only had the bike 3 days, hadn't fitted crash bungs and I was 200 miles overdue for its first service - you can probably understand why I was one of the slowest on the track!

Wont be taking the bike on the track again until I have a backup solution and a seperate set of fairings!

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 02:02 PM   #56
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAbnormal View Post
I really fancy a trackday now but have the niggling worry of the bike being my only way to work. Will probably wait until I get some other means of transport. I don't want to 'have' to take it easy.
I had exactly this same worry, which meant I was half elated going round the track and half pooing myself! It was ok but I would love a dedicated track bike!
Old 08-07-08, 02:11 PM   #57
Stig

So long as you have the required crash bungs fitted, I think your worrying a but excessively. The most likely time for you to crash on the track is going into or out of a corner. This would mean you would have scrubbed tons of speed already and probably just end up in the gravel, or do a little high/low side coming out of the corner. Chances of you not being able to fix the bike to a ridable standard (assuming you have spare levers) are quite minimal.

Let's face it. Your not going to hit a curb, tree, car, lamp post, sign, hole, speed bump, roundabout, telegraph pole, truck, bus, traffic light...
Old 08-07-08, 02:22 PM   #58
Warthog

Ah yes, it probably won't kill the bike, but Dan has a relatively new bike, and Same for Jon, it would be like losing £2000 if Jon lowsided along his exhaust and fairings!
Old 08-07-08, 02:29 PM   #59
philbut

Gotta say I'm with thwe ape on this one. The road is a far more dangerous place for a bike full stop. OK so track days are maybe an unessescary risk, but I'd have thought you are more likely to damage a bike on the road - you only have to ride as quick as you feel comfy with. Spare fairings are a good idea and crash bungs obviously but unless you high side it, I'd have thought serious damage would be unlikely - but then I do have a spare bike Oh, and both of mine are probably worth less than the fairing on Jons CBR
Old 08-07-08, 03:35 PM   #60
Warthog

Well I think you are obviously more likely to get hurt on the road, but more likely to come off on a track, purely because you are pushing it more. If that doesn't bother you then fine, but any kind of contact can be expensive if you have a big poofy plastic faired bike