SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-09, 12:41 PM   #51
pencil shavings

Default Re: error code c-42

ok baph, sorry about my last few posts, they were shots in the dark, i know nothing about electronics and didnt even know how to use the multimeter. I spoke to my uncle and he told me how to use one and what to check.

first i check the batery, it had 12.somthing V
checked the fule fuse, one end on the neg of the batery and the other in the hole where the fuse was, got 12.somthing V.
checked the relay. the end that is directly connected to the batery showed 12.somthing V also. the other side showed 0V so i guess thats where the problem is? I was told to listen to the relay and see if it clicks on, and it does, but still no power getting through when the bike is turned on.

so i guess that means its a starter(?) relay problem? (thanks davie)

can I open it up and see whats going on inside or is it a new unit jobby?
Old 25-04-09, 01:07 PM   #52
pencil shavings

ok, took the top part off the relay (the bit with 4 thin wires going into it) and checked the V between all of the contacts and against the batery like before and everything i did got 0V.

new relay time?
Old 25-04-09, 01:11 PM   #53
Baph

No worries fella.

Right, so battery has enough juice. In practice, with a pointy, if the battery voltage drops below 7.5v, you loose the ability to use the fuel pump. I know this from experience.

There's power getting to the fuse, I'm assuming you still have the C42 issue?

You've said the relay clicks - just to confirm, this is the fuel pump relay?

As you look down at the bottom of the relay, it's a rectangular shape with part sticking out at one edge. Hold the relay upside down, with this edge facing away from you.

Going anti-clockwise, the pins are numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4.

1) Check for continuity between pins 1 & 2 - there shouldn't be any.

2) Connect the battery positive to pin 3, and battery negative to pin 4. Check for continuity between 1 & 2 again. This should be continuous, with virtually no resistance.

If either of those tests fail, replace the fuel pump relay.
Old 25-04-09, 01:17 PM   #54
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
No worries fella.

You've said the relay clicks - just to confirm, this is the fuel pump relay?
according to haynes its the starter relay. it is right next to the main set of fuses. it has a big semi transparent hard white plastic cover if thats any help.
Old 25-04-09, 01:22 PM   #55
pencil shavings

this is the relay. are the pins numbered correctly?

Old 25-04-09, 01:26 PM   #56
Baph

Yup, the clear plastic cover is on the starter relay. Apologies if it was mentioned above about the plastic cover.

Have you checked the relay as advised in 9-24 (#28 ) of the Haynes? The diagrams on the right side show the coil of the relay at the top (of the diagram)

If it fails that test, you'll need to replace the relay. If it passes this test, the fault is elsewhere.

EDIT, in your picture, pins 1 & 2 are the coil. DON'T connect the relay to 12v for longer than 5secs, or you risk damaging it - according to Haynes at least.

Last edited by Baph; 25-04-09 at 01:29 PM.
Old 25-04-09, 01:34 PM   #57
pencil shavings

cheers, I hadnt been able to find the relay in the haynes I will work through that now

thanks for your help
Old 25-04-09, 02:34 PM   #58
pencil shavings

ok, just done what it said in the haynes (which is also what baph said) and got infinate (well not quite but 1.somthing million as oposed to 3-6 ohms that it should be) resistance. I guess that it is the relay at fault then.

have to wait till monday to order it
Old 25-04-09, 02:46 PM   #59
Baph

1+ million ohms resistance on a 12v circuit is effectively the same as cutting a wire & leaving it dangling.

Did you get this resistance on pins 1&2 when 3&4 were hooked to the battery? If so, I reckon that at least one of the contacts inside the relay is broken. Shaking it gently whilst holding it in your hand will confirm this.

Either way, the resistance shouldn't be that high. Talk to your uncle about the relay test to confirm you've done it as you should - helping people over the t'inter-web means folks are invariably going to interpret instructions other than intended. Better safe than sorry.

Once your uncle confirms, order a new relay.
Old 25-04-09, 03:04 PM   #60
pencil shavings

I did the test with the relay removed from the bike and placed on my 'workbench' and then hooked up the battery... on wait... i think ive done it wrong

I connected the battery to the coil terminals (3+4) and then took the reading off that new circuit i had created :S but I should have done it from 2 big terminals on the relay.

I just put the bike back together again with the relay back in the bike because that was the only way to keep the alarm quiet. I will play again on monday, cba to take it apart again